Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New P Sport Hydro 2015!

Waiting on wood? Yer not that old Chip.

So are you thinking the drop nose will keep the nose down? Because I don't think it will. That all happens in the tub from my experience. It's wing effect. The surface distance at the top of the tub versus the surface distance at the bottom of the tub. The air across the top of the tub travels further resulting in negative pressure on top. blah blah blah. It's why air dams work sometimes. Air dams at a glance make no sense to me. Until I start thinking about that dimension thing. We in effect are making the line of travel under the boat longer which reduces the negative pressure on the top of the boat.

I think you and I talked about this before. Love to hear more opinions about that. Maybe when the SAW guys come out of their collective comas they'll chime in. They walk that line like nobody else. I wonder if they shoot for no lift and use only prop and ride pad to stay above the surface of the water.

On all my Whips, my sponson ride surfaces are a 1/4" deeper than stock. The AOA is also steeper as a result. Works out to about 1 degree extra maybe. I never checked the exact angle though.
    Noisy person

It's just for looks, Terry (The boat, Tom, the boat)

On a serious note, you are exactly right about the tub shape. Longer distance = higher v = lower p.

As for the drop nose, it might actually result in some flow separation?! Not sure what it will do, but it sure looks cool.

A whole quarter inch huh? I've done 1/8" on a 21 but, might give more a try. You just feather it in at the front right? Did you put any extra wood on the inside of the sponson cut out? I did on a 21.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Waiting on wood? Yer not that old Chip.

On all my Whips, my sponson ride surfaces are a 1/4" deeper than stock. The AOA is also steeper as a result. Works out to about 1 degree extra maybe. I never checked the exact angle though.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, if I remember I'll post a pic. My ride pad extends all the way to the nose of the boat. So basically the pad is the width of the trailing edge of the sponson. Then feathered to the tips. They're beat to death now but I think you'll see it. I was going to make that tapered mod that Brian used but I think/thought he did that because he was running SAW with it and the lift off that step needed to go away.

It's hard to pick up just looking at my 20. You have to turn it over and really look. I concealed the change at the time. Built that in the winter of 2010. I was still under the illusion that I had to keep my secrets to win anything. DOH!

On the 40 it's easy to see the change because I used black walnut to do it. Nayman inspired me to change that one believe it or not.
    Noisy person

Well, I cut some more pcs at lunch today using some pretty expensive 'scrap wood'. $20 worth of wood that is worthless IMO. These mail order places are killing me. Anyhow, look at that! Something went right! A KNOT got cut out! Living good today!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've had good luck with www.balsausa.com
    Noisy person

The last time I organized a "club buy" of plywood, I bought from this place...

http://www.nationalbalsa.com/

I don't recall the stuff from them being bad. However, it was quite a few years ago.

Later,
    Ball

Good to see they survived their fire a few years ago.

This looks sick Pete !!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Thanks! I finally received some quality wood that I am happy with. Framed it up last night. I had to make a few tweaks here and there with the model, but eventually I got all the pieces to fit together nicely. I like the slots to be just snug enough to hold the parts together, but not too tight that epoxy won't flow between. Here she is.....

This new motor mount idea is going to make life a lot easier for motor installation. It's almost brainless now. The angle is set. (4) bolts and BAM!! Also, the servo mount is lined up for a straight shot to the rudder arm position.

oh...and the new 'jig' between the sponsons is really working well. This frame is straight as an arrow.

Ray, if I remember I'll post a pic. My ride pad extends all the way to the nose of the boat. So basically the pad is the width of the trailing edge of the sponson. Then feathered to the tips. They're beat to death now but I think you'll see it. I was going to make that tapered mod that Brian used but I think/thought he did that because he was running SAW with it and the lift off that step needed to go away.

It's hard to pick up just looking at my 20. You have to turn it over and really look. I concealed the change at the time. Built that in the winter of 2010. I was still under the illusion that I had to keep my secrets to win anything. DOH!

On the 40 it's easy to see the change because I used black walnut to do it. Nayman inspired me to change that one believe it or not.
    My whip that I sold... mistake... making a new one now.... 1/8" ply on sponson and inside too...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Man, I hate when I sell things and regret it later. Too bad, Ray! Hey, the next one will be better!!
    I bought a beat up old 70's LesPaul for $300 when I was 18. I sold it for $350 thinking I did 'alright'. Probably worth at least 2K now!!! The worst part is that I know who has it!!!

Just about done 'sprucing it up' (that's a bad joke ). I know I preach the gridline paper during builds, but you can't argue with this! The cowl from my other boat fits EXACTLY on top of this one. Something to be said there!!

Looking good! Now..why aren't you building two so you can sell me one?

John
    JOHN A. GROSS
    MILLBROOK, AL
    Crickety Crack Racing Team

ha ha! Nice. I might convince your dad to build one tomorrow!

Making progress... also drafting up some instructions for those interested in the frame kits.
    Last edited by Shooter; 08-24-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Did you put a name on this yet? I keep calling it Shooter Sport hydro.
    Noisy person

thechip

Man I really like this hydro, I especially like that the sponson bulkheads are integrated into the center section and not just bonded on. Also the integrated motor mount is a awsome feature

Honestly, the last version runs better on P power than anything I've seen. Including my modified one off Whip.

I would expect this to be similar.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by bozo586 View Post
    thechip
    Hanauer Hurricane?
    Noisy person

Hay Shooter, Darryl here. got the frame , real nice work on the design I started building her and she going great.
    I have looked at the plans , an can speed up the build by workin on sections of the frame . I also think if a person wanted to make a jig table to build 3 or more , this would make things easy , as soon as I'm done I'll post pic's ,
    also like that you used the same size thickness of ply, so sweet ,

A name huh? Good point. I've been just calling it the 'P-Sport Hydro'. I'll have to think of something.

The wife was out shopping with her mom all day, so I was able to work on the boat. Made some good progress. I sketched up the bottom pc and had it lasercut. Fits nicely. I also started working on the sponson sheeting.

Looking good!!
    JOHN A. GROSS
    MILLBROOK, AL
    Crickety Crack Racing Team

Honestly, the last version runs better on P power than anything I've seen. Including my modified one off Whip.

I would expect this to be similar.
    Let's hope so. Thanks!!!!

looks very nice, how about the 74LP. I sold many a great guitar , and wish I hadn't, the two that hurt the most, 60 jazz bass it was so big sounding not loud, just big and fat, 62 tele played like butter and screamed louder than bag pipes.
    gawd I wish I still had them.

Cheers, Jay.

heres a name for her , Magnetic Dreams, I've took the name Magnetic Storm for my boats

how about a 20 shooter
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Ron , I think you got it, 20 SH00TER, or a SH00TER-20

I like that. Shooter 20. However, it's a lot bigger than a 20 size boat. It's almost 34" long!

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast