Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st mono build 29 inch

Default 1st mono build 29 inch

i was saving to order a vac u pickle and shot my mouth off and bought this hull for 50 bucks. well i guess i will build it. It got here today and it seems extremely light fiber glass and has some small damage(chips) and the finnish is not good. but it is a new hull.100_2243.jpg100_2244.jpg100_2245.jpg100_2246.jpg100_2247.jpg

since this has nothing inside will need a little help along the way. i guess the first thing i am going to do is reinforce the hull. going to lay down a layer of glass on the inside of the hull and do something with the transom. i am guessing this is one of those china hulls from ebay.

Neat little guy you have there. As far as electronics on a tight budget, I would suggest:

Motor(plenty of mojo for your hull): http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Inrunner.html

ESC: (best bang for the buck, period) http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Boat_ESC.html

Lipo's (get 4 for two runs, 2 in series each run) http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._2S1P_40C.html

Servo (waterproof) http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._0_13s_60.html

A 3/16" driveline will suffice, you can buy your drive gear here or ebay may have combos. Prop suggestion is an x442
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Instead of putting a layer of FG, put in a layer of carbon fiber cloth. Its stronger and lighter, you can get 3k cf cloth reasonably priced.... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

ok thanks all i will check all the link u posted , on the carbon fiber never used it before does it bond like fg i will have to do some research on it thanks all

was thinking of putting it on 6 s would that be to much for it

There is no need to run 6s in that hull, you will get all the speed it can handle on 4s with the electronics i posted.

Keep us up to date on this build!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

4S on this hull for sure. My 29" mono with a similiar setup is plenty fast enough. CF cloth to me is actually easier to work with than FG. You just have to be cautious of the edges once you epoxy it (sharp). get a piece larger than what you think your going to need, lay it out same way you would FG. I use 3M spray glue to tack mine in a few places. Some spray the whole surface they are adhering to, I dont see the need to do this. I use thinned down (denatured alcohol) zpoxy finishing resin to coat my cf inlay. Im sure others will suggest other options that work well. I would first pour some 15-30 min epoxy into the very tip of the bow where you wont be able to work the cf into....possibly a transom doubler would not be a bad idea if it seems thin.... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

ok thanks , i was worried not getting the speed out of it i would want. i will start looking for cf sheets and get this done then i will start looking for some hardware setup . i was worried about hitting the dreaded lake mines ( turtles ) already hit one this year with my cat. how much epoxy do u put up in the bow. oh do i but the motor mount in before i lay the cf are can i do it after

Here is one source for CF cloth, http://www.carbonfiberglass.com/comp...c-Yard-50.html this is the basic stuff and for your boat it will be a good choice. I put just enough expoxy in the tips of my boats to fill and strengthen them, without having your boat in hand I cant tell you how much, but its not alot. Some of us thin out the epoxy/zpoxy and coat the whole inside the hull before we do the CF cloth inlay to level it. There is no need for you to do all that with this hull.
    1) clean inside hull, I use mean green orange clean, its non corrosive or toxic. Its only like 2$ a bottle and rinses clean with just water. Dry out hull.
    2) flow a bit of expoxy into the bow tip, it wont take much.
    3) do the cf cloth inlay, take your time. Use an old credit card or spatula to spread the epoxy into the cf cloth. Be gentle. Some guys use mini rollers to do this.
    4) transom doubler if needed..or double layer of cf cloth...
    Everyone has their own steps from here. The motor mount is something I do after I got all the other Hardware mounted. So its easier to get close to the cg correct...

i thinking this is what u are telling me to get cf, not the hard sheets i have seen
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Real-Carbon-...ea09d7&vxp=mtr

ok thanks everyone. once i do one i will have it down and wont have to ask dumb questions, did not see your new post before i posted lol

there seems to be alot of over spray on the inside should i sand that out before laying the cf are will it not matter on the bonding

Yes you need to rough up the area that you are going to lay the CF. I would also suggest that you wash the surface down with something that will remove all oils and waxes, such as Omni MX190 cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Yes you need to rough up the area that you are going to lay the CF. I would also suggest that you wash the surface down with something that will remove all oils and waxes, such as Omni MX190 cleaner
    ok will do

ok a little surface prep, while watching a little football, off for a bath and order some carbon fiber to lay down. after looking at the transom i don't trust it can almost see light thru it so i going to cut some wood and lay some in just to make me feel better. was thinking i would use epoxy to glue the wood in and then cover with the carbon fiber u guys think that will work ok.

100_2251.jpg

Jeff, looks ready. Yes thats a good way to do a transom doubler. Use a decent hardwood... DJ

what would u suggest only have a lowes around here and how thick

Here in CA we have an Arts and Craft store call Michael's, they sell quality plywood . I imagine if you have a similar store they should sell something like that. These plywood is sold under the name of Revell of Revell Monogram brand, they are a bit less expensive that the Midwest brand. 3/32 or 1/8 will do.
    I traced the shape of the transom on a piece of card board and trim little by little until I can fit that up right inside the hull flat against the inside transom, then simply traced the shape to the plywood board and cut it.
    I "flooded" the transom with epoxy mixed with filler and slapped the doubler flat against the inner transom and placed the hull up right for it to cure. here is a shot of the wood doubler i made for my MHZ Lizard Xtreme. DSCN2269_1744.jpg
    You don't need to mix your epoxy with filler, I was over doing it. Here is the filler: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK312&P=SM
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Here in CA we have an Arts and Craft store call Michael's, they sell quality plywood . I imagine if you have a similar store they should sell something like that. These plywood is sold under the name of Revell of Revell Monogram brand, they are a bit less expensive that the Midwest brand. 3/32 or 1/8 will do.
    I traced the shape of the transom on a piece of card board and trim little by little until I can fit that up right inside the hull flat against the inside transom, then simply traced the shape to the plywood board and cut it.
    I "flooded" the transom with epoxy mixed with filler and slapped the doubler flat against the inner transom and placed the hull up right for it to cure. here is a shot of the wood doubler i made for my MHZ Lizard Xtreme. DSCN2269_1744.jpg
    You don't need to mix your epoxy with filler, I was over doing it. Here is the filler: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK312&P=SM
    thanks for the pic and nice job in there clean , it also showed me how u set uo your shaft and mount helped a lot.

Nicely done Tim....

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    Nicely done Tim....
    Thank you for your kind words.
    It was my first build and luckily she runs ok! Thanks to those who helped me out!

what about hardware guys , going to try to pick a peace up here and there, been searching ebay and other sites, saw stringer what would yall use, and what size Rutter and turn fin size and so on might as well get some ordered. cf should be here this week some time.

Your doing a great job! I just wanted to mention the epoxy and cloth you were looking at on the eBay listing you posted is good stuff. I used it on the first boat I did Cf inlay on. It still looks good over a year later and is holding up great. The only advice I can think of is not to use to much epoxy. It takes way less than you think. Maybe a third of the bottle (your eBay listing) and when your done angle the boat with the bow pointing up high in the air, 45 degrees or so. The excess resin will run down the middle of the boat. Use paper towel to soak up the excess. It works wonders when doing a mono. Again, I am always surprised how much extra is still in there. The dabbing with the paper towel won't leave marks as the resin will flow flat again. Depending on epoxy choice and drying times you should still give yourself two plus hours once done to keep an eye on your work. It's not a job you want to walk away from as sometimes the epoxy will continue to pool for hours! Once it starts to tack up just leave it one the boat stand and that should be it! I've done a few monos and had great results. Getting the extra resin out can turn an ok job into a great one! You've been given some great advice from the guys, just wanted to stress this one point. Good luck and have fun!

It's folks like y'all that are willing to help some one that will stay in the hobby that's makes the difference . I have got more help here then any place I have been and very greatful for it thanks everyone

Jeff, dont go too cheap on your hardware. You will end up having to replace it due to it bending etc...are you going stringer or strut ? ....

i am not sure , did not even know about the stringer till the other day, what is the best way to go. was going to order some of the peaces as i go like turn fins and trim tabs and so on. would like to find the ones that are colored blue but not sure it i can find it all that way.

Actually a stringer is inside the boat, what you normally fasten the motor mount to, the rear hardware part is a stinger. I would go with a 3/16" setup all around.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...os-stinger-str

If you look at my picture, the motor mount I was using was meant for a stringer ( a pair of stringers) since it takes two rails to secure the mount. But, my hull was designed as a FE hull and came without the pair, I had to replicate that , and in my case it is a half attempt since "real stringer" run from the transome typically and extend much further up to the front of the hull. Gas boat's engine usually rest on a mount that solely depends on the stringers. They are usually 5'' apart. These were more popular several years ago for people to use them to increase the rigidity of the hull, but now laying CF cloth is the "in thing" to do and I see less and less people use these stringers in their hulls. Seems the TFL motor mount is very popular but do keep in mind that on a thin hull it has a relatively small foot print. So some sort of hull reinforcement is really a good idea. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80210
    As for hardware, you have been pointed to Speed Master, they are really some of the best you can buy with your money and if you decide to build another boat, they are ready for the new duty as you don't need to again up grade.
    That being said, there was a boat that was made by Aqua Craft years ago ( well, not that long ago) called SV27 and used blue hardware, it came both as nitro powered and brussless powered versions and later a revised brushless Version called SV27R which used black anodized hardware. For the blue hardware, here is the link:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=AQUB22**&P=OW
    I personally would go for the Speed Master, but I just want you to see it. It is also meant for a slightly smaller boat (27") anyway. The earliest version of this boat only had a starboard ( rightside) turn fin, sometime later they made a portside turn fin as well, therefore you will see two listings on the list.
    Tower hobbies calls the stinger a strut, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMWB4&P=OW , but in reality to me, at least IMO , it resembles more as a stinger although it may lack the adjustibilies of a Speed Master Stinger. A strut should look like this: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...=ros-spdss-001

My is only for your info. Pick quality hardware as said by other members.

Here is the brushless parts link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=AQUB17**&P=PU
    Last edited by tlandauer; 11-04-2014 at 04:09 AM.

ok think i will stick with what everyone is saying and don't look for the blue. use the good stuff.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast