Thread: Mystery RC esc

Default Mystery RC esc

are these any good there seems to be some cheap deals on them rite now. mystery marine esc

That remains a mystery....
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

They are Suppo controllers, a search for Suppo here should yield you some more info. They are very cheaply made Chinese controllers poor quality control, with virtually no features and what features they do have aren't great, the LVC for instance is too low to be usefull and is not to be relied upon, and they need TX programming which is a PITA compared to USB or even card programming. As an ESC they are actually very good with a nice low tickover and a smooth linear throttle unlike some I have tried. The poor quality control means that the reviews for them are very mixed, with some having them blow and saying they are a waste of money and some having good luck and thinking them a bargain.

Personally I have bought 4 of the 200A bec air ones and 2 of the 120A bec air ones (I bought all of mine before Fightercat Ben persuaded Suppo to make watercooled versions, so I marinised them myself and can not speak for the water cooling or proofing they come with (due to the mixed reviews and returns Ben stopped selling Suppo and went to Flyer instead which are much more expensive but still get mixed reviews)), I had good luck with mine, and think them a bargain. I ran the 2x 120s for 2 and 3 seasons each before retiring them still working fine to the spares box in favour of ESCs with more features, of the 200A versions I have one that has powered my 8s Supercat for 5 years (they were initially sold as 2-8s and it was only later that we discovered the FETs are only rated to 30V so not really suitable for 8s and they were marked down to 6s/7s depending on who is reselling them, mine may be the only lucky one to run actually 8s without melting), I foolishly killed one by running an UBEC and not removing its red RX wire, one that replaced a blown CC hydra 240 in my Hydro2 for 2 years, and one that normally sits in my spares box, but has been lent out a couple of times to those in need at races.

If I had a large budget for boating I wouldn't touch one with someone else's bargepole, programming and features are 10+ years out of date USB programming and datalogging are really nice to have for quality of life. If you are on a really tight budget though they are by far the cheapest option, if you can put up with having to refer to the manual to program it and timing your runs, they can be fine, and actually feel better in use than some of the more expensive competition. There is no way I could have built my Supercat if it was not for Suppo ESCs, at the time the only other "cheap" 8s ESC was over double the price and only rated at 100A. When I blew my Hydra 240 I couldn't afford the repair fee but a new Suppo 200A bec at 1/3rd of the repair cost kept me racing until I could afford the fee.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

ok thanks so much, for the review i am on a very tight budget and don't race yet. i have ran across a mono hull new 30inch a guy had for 50 bucks. don't even know who makes it . was researching for a vac u pickle but will have to wait now till after the first to order it. i want to run on 6s when i set this up. this is the first build for me.