Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TP 3630 1950 Test Reports

Great stuff Doby. Real data we can chew on for awhile. Can I nominate you to be the chairman of our motor approval team?

A couple more miles per hour and you'll be able to hang with us Whiplash guy's here in the Midwest.

And so you feel more comfortable when agreeing with me in the future, I would like to make a public appology for beating you in that tunnel class at London ON. 5-6 years ago on that windy 6" choppy water. Now that I think back about it I am not sure how that happened either.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Doby will you be out doing any more testing this weekend? If so I would like to come and see it run .
    :canada

The unflipable OPC...Bastard! Apology not accepted as you used the "black arts" to win that heat, no other explanation makes sense.

Back to the present, did I read somewhere that you may be placing another order sometime? If so, I'd like another motor please, let me know when (and if) and I'll PP you.

So other than you and me, has anyone else got anything to report on their motors?

Quote Originally Posted by ezhitz View Post
    Doby will you be out doing any more testing this weekend? If so I would like to come and see it run .
    Hi Jack, I do plan to do some Saturday, weather permitting, it will be good to see you again, been a while.

I would like to pull the trigger on at least another 20. 20 or more and we get a 15% discount. However I will not be subsidizing this batch. So these motors would $72.25 plus shipping. Coolers would be another $10.20. Still a good deal in my mind. Not that crazy about the coolers.

I can start a list and if we get more interest in say at least 10, I'll pull the trigger. I am expecting to move at least 10 more in my district.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Same kv 1950?

Yes - TP 3630 1950. I suppose if some of you wanted a different KV and it helped get us to the minimum order that would work too. Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Might have to give one a go for my PTSS.
    Nortavlag Bulc

So...went to the pond today with Jack (ezhitz on the forums) and his son Brian....

Jack brought along his Whip with a AQ2030 motor and I had the Popeye with the TP motor, both running similar LiPos, controllers and M445's.

Conditions were "interesting" to say the least, 40F and 30+ Mph gusts. Chop all over the place.

We ran the boats side by side and there was no discernible difference in top speed between the two. (in the front straight where it was pretty much the only place we could really open them up).

So..everyone who was worried that the 2030 motor would be rendered obsolete by this TP motor, relax.......

All I'm saying is that its a great potential addition to the "approved" motors for P-limited/Spec or whatever the term of the day is. Just need to get remove the "must be in a RTR" mentality that currently limits options.

Again, don't like my test results...do your own...as it seems that Peterson and I are the only ones running these motors currently. Where the hell are all the other motors that he shipped out????

I run the 2100kv---the one I originally suggested to Doug before TP changed their spec. The motor is in my TFL Libero, I love it.
    I have kept quiet because I don't race nor do I have the patience to run the kind of test you do---I admire and LIKE your results, BTW.
    I have also used the motor on a ML P295 tunnel with great results, previous motor was an UL-1 motor.
    Am I to say that i don't like the AC motor? No, Not at all.
    I am a subjective guy, ,I feel more confident with the TP just because... ( less than stellar experience with the AC 1800kv and no set up mistakes!)
    Now, there, you know why I kept quiet... this is not a thread for the amateur.... I know my place.....
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Just got my bullets soldered on this morning. I'm gonna be trying my hardest to get some runs in this weekend. Will be running in two different geicos.

Thanks again for taking an unbiased look Doby.

I know it was kind of late in the year for most guy's. I would anticpate hearing form the warm weather guy's yet. Then i would expect more feedback in the spring.

Jeff and I are still planning next Saturday if the weather isn't below freezing.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Like Doby said it wasn't perfect conditions with the constant wind but gave some idea about the motor with the two boats out running. From what I seen I would say the TP motor would not be
    a hands down run away over the UL1.Maybe if we can get out one more I can get Doby to run my eagletree and get some logging.

Quote Originally Posted by ezhitz View Post
    Like Doby said it wasn't perfect conditions with the constant wind but gave some idea about the motor with the two boats out running. From what I seen I would say the TP motor would not be
    a hands down run away over the UL1.Maybe if we can get out one more I can get Doby to run my eagletree and get some logging.
    Hey Jack, want to try next Saturday? What connectors do you have on the Eagle Tree?

That sounds good. 5.5 bullets

Lets say tentatively yes...but wait till it gets closer to make a final call. I'll call you later this week. Do you have a baseline for your Whip that we could compare things to, with the M445?

Sounds good I can get some data for my boat to compare .

Really need to get one mounted up in my JAE and see how she goes
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

A couple runs on Sunday on the mono and one on the sport hydro. Used my regular (modded) 645 on the hydro (scratch built Oberto) and still can't tell much difference from the AQ motor. The TP does seem to run a little cooler than the AQ motor. Ran it longer than normal "race length" too.
    The mono (Cyberstorm) started with an M445 with a barr cut. Ran it close to 3 minutes to see how it would work for an offshore course. Speed was close to the same as with the PB1800 and M545. Forgot the temp gun, but I could tell the motor was barely warm with my finger. I then tried it with an M545 that has only been S/B. Ran a little faster, but not by much. The pond was a little choppy and at a little over 2 minutes, it spun out. Landed upright, but wouldn't go. Once I got it in I found that one of the motor wires had come unsoldered from the connector. The solder splattered during the impact from the spinout. No smell from the motor. Guess I'll have to switch to the 5.5s on the motor side. The battery was a little more depleted than on the longer run with the 445.
    The rest of the package in both - Hyperion 5000 45/90, CC120 set at 2 deg.

ok so don't take the lableing too seriously, I may have mixed up a previously made run with an aq motor on a different day. I think the motor is a good canidate for the limited list. My amperage numbers were higher then i expexted to see. Temp sensors seem to be screwy, at least one of them any ways, plus i forgot what sensor was pluged in to which port. ran 4 sets of batteries, all different brands or MAh so there could be speed descrepancy there. This was just to get some sort of numbers up.

testing was done in a TP MOTOR TESTING GPS.jpgTP MOTOR RPM.jpgTP AMP M445.jpgTP AMP 642.jpgmiss geico with a slight sponson mod.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    ok so don't take the lableing too seriously, I may have mixed up a previously made run with an aq motor on a different day. I think the motor is a good canidate for the limited list. My amperage numbers were higher then i expexted to see. Temp sensors seem to be screwy, at least one of them any ways, plus i forgot what sensor was pluged in to which port. ran 4 sets of batteries, all different brands or MAh so there could be speed descrepancy there. This was just to get some sort of numbers up.

testing was done in a TP MOTOR TESTING GPS.jpgTP MOTOR RPM.jpgTP AMP M445.jpgTP AMP 642.jpgmiss geico with a slight sponson mod.
    Curious - What controller did you use in these runs?

I am also curious on your driving style for these runs? The reason I ask, is the large difference in "Peak" amp draw in the 120's - 130's vs. the "Low" amp draw down to 15-30amps.

Thanks,
    Ball

Well you have to remember the capture rate is 10 samples per second. These were all long passes, for the most part I was simulating running on an oval. I let off going into the corners to set the boat, plus I wasn't in the mood to do a recovery so I wasn't pushing in the corners super hard.

Esc was a t-180 . Timing was set to 3.5*

What you want to look at is the "thick " red area.

I'm going to clear the recorder and do this again. It may even need to be calibrated. The only somewhat decent temp reading I got was 127 with the cut 447. I figure if couldn't have been much hotter then that with the smaller props.

I might have to pull the data after each run. I have it set to only record if it has a 3d fix s if it loses that I think it starts a new session.

Also I'm pretty sure I labeled the 442 where it's actually a aq1800 with a 447 in a small pond where I couldn't make a top speed pass.

When I get some more readings ill take these down.

No worries, I understand how the Eagle Tree works. Just so you know there are some settings you can change to eliminate the "down time" in your logs. I have posted an example of one of my logs using a AQ 1800 in a P-Limited Sport Hydro. Thanks for posting your BDR file images.

Later,
    Ball
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do you have yours set. I've messed with different triggers like rpm and amp draw but I always seem to end up with large gaps. It's annoying cause it throws the average way off, your graph looks clean. Are you Trimming the session or are you logging triggers just set up good?

One thing you can try is set the eagle tree to start logging after you reach a certain amp. this way its not logging while you are taping up.

Summary:
    I did some Eagle Tree testing today at the Badger pond and thought I’d share my findings. The same prop/setup/and water conditions were used for each test run. P.S. I chose an aggressive prop to stress test both motors a bit ;-)

The older version UL1 motor (circa 2012) had a bit more top end speed in the straights, ran cooler, and pulled more amps on average. The timing for the UL1 was set to 10 degrees.

The TP 3630 – 1950kv motor pulled less amps than the “old” version UL1 on average, but ran hotter, had less top end speed, but averaged higher speeds overall because it carried more speed through the corners. The timing for the TP 3630 – 1950kv was set at 0 degrees timing.

I will post the Eagle tree charts for each run tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post

Summary:
    I did some Eagle Tree testing today at the Badger pond and thought I’d share my findings. The same prop/setup/and water conditions were used for each test run. P.S. I chose an aggressive prop to stress test both motors a bit ;-)

The older version UL1 motor (circa 2012) had a bit more top end speed in the straights, ran cooler, and pulled more amps on average. The timing for the UL1 was set to 10 degrees.

The TP 3630 – 1950kv motor pulled less amps than the “old” version UL1 on average, but ran hotter, had less top end speed, but averaged higher speeds overall because it carried more speed through the corners. The timing for the TP 3630 – 1950kv was set at 0 degrees timing.

I will post the Eagle tree charts for each run tomorrow.

Thank you for the easy to understand chart, it is perfect for someone like me, sometimes the graph is hard to read and understand.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Default TP 3630-1950kv Eagle Tree Charts

These are the Eagle Tree charts from my testing runs on the TP 3630-1950kv.

The top chart is GPS speed. The bottom chart is Amps.
    Last edited by LuckyDuc; 10-26-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Default UL1 (2012 version) Eagle Tree Charts

Here are the Eagle Tree charts from my test runs on my 2012 version UL1 motor for comparison to the TP motor.

Top chart is GPS speed. Bottom chart is Amps.
    Last edited by LuckyDuc; 10-26-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast