Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TP 3630 1950 Test Reports

Talking TP 3630 1950 Test Reports

Ran a Limited Mono and Limited Tunnel this weekend. I don't do data logging as I do the temperature gun thing. I had the timing at 7.5 for both set ups. Too high. As I moved the timing up all I got was about 10 more degrees of heat per time. I'll be moving all my set ups to 0 - 3.25.

Our race was water was cold and rough on Saturday. Hard to get a real accurate read. On Sunday we raced and the conditions were better. I would say the TP motor performance was dead on the same as the AQ2030. My boats ran exactly the same as they have been.

On Saturday I put a 447 on my Mono and run 7 laps. The boat was slow and the motor came back 145 degrees. A simple and quick check to see where the breaking point may be. The motor smelled worked, but otherwise survived in great condition. Might be, because it has real wires in it and not sewing thread.

We did run a Sport Hydro with the TP and data logging but was battling a turn fin and handling issues with it, so no data we can count on.

We will be going back to the pond in a couple weeks to run data logging to get some hard data.

Please post here your findings.

Later - Doug
    Last edited by DPeterson; 10-05-2014 at 09:51 PM.
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Wondering what the logs showed

Got mine today...thanks Douggie

First impressions, the motor looks nicely constructed (although it did have one of the wire insulators that did slide out of the motor). I'll slide it back in and maybe add some CA to keep it there....hope that doesn't go against the spec rules (think heat shrink).

The cooling jacket seems about as adequate as one of the AQ jackets. Installing the O rinds was a bit interesting, but once in, it slid on the motor with no problems (thanks to dish soap!)

Hope to have it in my P Limited Popeye next week for some trials.

motor 002.JPGmotor 003.JPG

I noticed a similar issue on the wire insulators on a couple of mine. Just to clarify, for others watching, the insulator coming out of the case is actually a braided fabric/plastic that would slide fairly easy over the wire. The red, yellow, and green shrink wrap at the end of the wires basically holds the braided stuff on the wires. Once you get your connectors on the ends of the wire, the shrink wrap you put over those will help to keep the braid snugged up to the motor.
    Gonna be fiddling around with them a bit this weekend.

Hey Doby - send it back. I'll fix it for ya. :)

I had one look the same. Quietlee got the fix right. How about the real wire deal? A couple motors had some set srew marks already on the flat spot. Do some motors go through some sort of testing?

Got the last two extra motors heading towards the west coast. Be nice to get more feedback from some others. I just may pull the trigger on another 50 motors.

The preliminary logging showed about 500 more rpm than the ULI with a slightly higher amp draw. Makes sense as the kv is 1950TP versus 1900UL1. Other than that I'll let the more knowledgeable loggers report their findings.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

My testing will be a simple motor swap in the Popeye, nothing else...going to run the same m445 and see what happens.
    If I kill it, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by doug
    Might be, because it has real wires in it and not sewing thread.
    Funny!

It is 900w vs the UL1s 740w
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    Hey Doby - send it back. I'll fix it for ya. :)

I had one look the same. Quietlee got the fix right. How about the real wire deal? A couple motors had some set srew marks already on the flat spot. Do some motors go through some sort of testing?

Got the last two extra motors heading towards the west coast. Be nice to get more feedback from some others. I just may pull the trigger on another 50 motors.

The preliminary logging showed about 500 more rpm than the ULI with a slightly higher amp draw. Makes sense as the kv is 1950TP versus 1900UL1. Other than that I'll let the more knowledgeable loggers report their findings.

Doug

Interesting, I have never had a motor ( TP that is) that look remotely like it had been used/tested, then again, we are talking about 5 or 6 motors total. I did however had a problem recently with their 40xx motor. I returned for a refund and had a few e mail exchanges with Junlin. I told her that the motor was never run but I had soldered 5.5mm bullets and she told me to include the female bullets so the motor can be used for her husband's EDFs. Anyway, the subject did come up as I asked her if they ever send RMA items out after checking and she reassured me that they don't.
    Short of saying that it has been used, I would guess ( and this is to put the best case scenario) that only perhaps the rotors were "tested'' before?
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    My testing will be a simple motor swap in the Popeye, nothing else...going to run the same m445 and see what happens.
    If I kill it, so be it.
    "If he dies , He Dies" - Rocky Vs. The Russian....... LOL
    Lot Boyz Racing and Marine Team...Get Hype!
    CF Shocker Twin - 93.4mph / CF Daytona Single - 80.2mph
    FG Shocker Single - 98.3mph / Miss Geico 24" Single - 72.3mph

Found it a little tricky to get the O-rings in the cooling can. Just took a little time to ease them in. There were a couple little spots where it looked like the rings might have slipped out, I had no water leaks under pressure.
    Race this past weekend, but some of the FE guys didn't show. Didn't swap over the tunnel to the TP because someone didn't want the TP motors at the pond and they were supposed to be there with a tunnel. They didn't show either. Guess a little too cold and windy. I did make a run with my hydro and Cyberstorm. Didn't notice much difference on the hydro from the AQ to the TP. I did run a bit bigger prop to try and push it, but the water was a bit rough. A few good downwind passes was all we could really get. Temp wasn't bad when I brought it in, but it was only 45 out. The mono ran a bit better in the windy chop. Ran my normal 545 on that and it seemed to be a bit faster than before. BUT, I was only running a PB1800 in there before because I could not get an AQ2030 to run in there without melting things down even with smaller props. With the PB motor I had been holding my own with others running Revolts, but a couple others were faster. With the TP motor it should keep up with the others. I may be able to run an even bigger prop, but it was pretty close to the edge as it was. Plus race water adds that little extra unknown.
    Was kind of hoping the motor would have been a little warmer after the run, but I was somewhat disappointed. My fingers were kinda cold and I wanted to warm them up on the motor, but there wasn't that much heat.

Default Peterson B.S. Check

So installed it in the Popeye.

1) Fits the current mounting holes in my TFL motor mount.
    2) Fits the current screw size that I had in my AQ motor.
    3) Fits the current rear mounting support ring in my TFL motor mount.
    4) Fits the current 5mm TFL coupler on the shaft.
    5) Fits the current cooling hose I use on the TP cooling jacket nipples.
    6) Fits the current 5.5mm connectors that I use.
    7) Fits the current "beeping" mode that my AQ motor does.
    8) Powers up and rotates the propeller similar to my AQ motor.
    9) Does not change the outside appearance of the boat at all.

So far....no B.S.

Water test hopefully Wednesday......

tp motor 001.JPGtp motor 002.JPGtp motor 003.JPG

Doug, did any of these go south?

You cheeslings are going to have the same problem we're having. The weather is about to change to yuck. The water is already too cool.
    Noisy person

solid water can really slow down the testing process....
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Doug, did any of these go south?

You cheeslings are going to have the same problem we're having. The weather is about to change to yuck. The water is already too cool.
    Yeah but us cheeslings down here in FLORIDA are still running in 85deg. water.

I was referring to the Wisconsin fellers.

Water up here is already in the 50's I think. Makes for nice cool everything.
    Noisy person

Wow Lee - your club guy that had the burr in the underside doesn't even show up for your club race? He cost you guy's lost entrants and classes to run.

We hope to get to our pond one more time for a whole day to try and get data and maybe burn one down.

So far it appears to be Mission Accomplished. With this TP Motor (with real wire in it) you don't have to be an electrical engineer or as smart as some others to run it. It appears you can prop it wrong or maybe run it too long and not burn it down.

Good stuff. Really hope to hear from some others. Might pull another volume order. I'll pass along the discount - no underwriting.

Doby - sorry to hear the motor didn't help improve the looks of your boats.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Doug, yer crack 'n me up.

Burn one up! Awesome.
    Noisy person

So Terry. If these work will it be accepted in your club next year as an alternative? Looking to get a couple from Doug for the Arizona race if allowed. Then I hope I could use them at your race if you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He He Terry. Funny - when you get older - burning one means something different than it used too. LOL

Your right about the weather not cooperating with our testing time. For us it doesn't matter much. We are committed and already have a significant level of support from our District racers. We'll come out swinging next spring.

I wonder what a 646/3 would do to one of these motors? :) Maybe not.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    So Terry. If these work will it be accepted in your club next year as an alternative? .
    not likely. We have too many guys running existing stuff that will feel (real or only perceived) that they are at a disadvantage. The only way would be for our club to veer away from P limited in favor of something else.

it's even less likely that they will be allowed at WW.
    Noisy person

That said, we'll be exploring options. It's a fragile thing. We gave a good thing going up here. Don't want screw it up.
    Noisy person

Wednesday looks like crap weather compared to tomorrow but, anyway...

Would you like a motor to go with that blue heat shrink?

I'd like to get out one more time this year... maybe...

So installed it in the Popeye.

1) Fits the current mounting holes in my TFL motor mount.
    2) Fits the current screw size that I had in my AQ motor.
    3) Fits the current rear mounting support ring in my TFL motor mount.
    4) Fits the current 5mm TFL coupler on the shaft.
    5) Fits the current cooling hose I use on the TP cooling jacket nipples.
    6) Fits the current 5.5mm connectors that I use.
    7) Fits the current "beeping" mode that my AQ motor does.
    8) Powers up and rotates the propeller similar to my AQ motor.
    9) Does not change the outside appearance of the boat at all.

So far....no B.S.

Water test hopefully Wednesday......

tp motor 001.JPGtp motor 002.JPGtp motor 003.JPG
    Nortavlag Bulc

not likely.
    it's even less likely that they will be allowed at WW.
    That said, we'll be exploring options. It's a fragile thing. We gave a good thing going up here. Don't want screw it up.
    So is it a fragile thing? You have a good thing going? Why are you exploring options?
    Now your crack'n me up Terry. LOL

By the way I didn't expect any entrenched MAMBA rule making clubs to budge. Race schedule for 2015 is planned accordingly.

Maybe sometime down the road our paths will re-connect. Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    He He Terry. Funny - when you get older - burning one means something different than it used too. LOL

Your right about the weather not cooperating with our testing time. For us it doesn't matter much. We are committed and already have a significant level of support from our District racers. We'll come out swinging next spring.

I wonder what a 646/3 would do to one of these motors? :) Maybe not.

Doug

I used to run a 646/3 on my SV 27. Never burnt the motor, but probably because it was never right side up for very long. Did manage to take out the esc running 18 nihm cells and that prop. I was clueless ha ha

Ps . Ill be enjoying sunny CA all winter long testing will continue

Quote Originally Posted by msundsd5 View Post
    "If he dies , He Dies" - Rocky Vs. The Russian....... LOL
    He did not die....

So, went to the pond this afternoon...

Took the following....

Qty 1 TFL Popeye Hydro: Original build thread here: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...eye-quot-Hydro

Original run test results here :
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...137#post520137

Those results were with a old 2030 AQ motor
    This season, it got a brand new 2030 AQ motor..same results more or less, but about 15 deg warmer each time with a distinct smell after each run.

My set up today was identical to what I have been using all season, the only difference in hardware is:
    -ESC is now a el cheepo HK 120 6S. Been using this all season and its been flawless.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_4A_UBEC.html

-LiPos are now a single 4S 6000Mah Turnigy Nanotech 25-50C, brand new a few months ago with only 5 runs on each (Qty 3 packs went to the pond with me today)
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

-Motor, One of Doug Peterson's TP's rated at 1950KV
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ers&highlight=

-Prop, Octura M445 sharpened and balanced.

Now, comparing the manufacturers specs, I am comparing a 2030 Kv motor to this 1950Kv motor. So, less Kv with all other things being the same should = slower boat. Yes, yes..I've heard that the KV ratings can vary, but that's all I have to go on.

Environmental Conditions today: I'll try and speak American as the Metric system seems to mess with your minds
    Temp 71.6F
    Humidity 80%
    Wind 0-5 Mph from the east
    Water Temp 61.7F, glass surface to SLIGHT ripple.
    Severely overcast with a 40% chance of showers
    Approx only 2 hours of sunshine forecasted for today (I saw about 2 minutes of that today)
    Time was from 2:10 PM to 3:30 PM, Oct 15 2014.

Don't ask for vids because I can't do two things at once. Don't believe my results...tough, do your own testing.

So, Popeye was tossed in and I hit the throttle..well, what do we have here

It took off like a bat out of you know where...it had a distinctively higher pitched whine to it than the AQ motor...higher actual Kv perhaps?? It aired out much better and was definitely faster, holding the speed better in the turns as well.....Interesting!

Did two quick laps around or clubs course (probably 4/5ths the size of a full size course) and brought it in for a check.

Time between removal of the Popeye from the water to measuring the temps..46.5 seconds as per my non calibrated stopwatch.

Motor temp, 105.4F as per my trusty Turnigy temp meter
    Connectors 127F
    ESC 98F

Hmmmm...Interesting...

Let everything cool down to ambient temperatures. Put a fresh pack in and off It went again, but this time with my trusty GPS on board.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html Its been proven pretty accurate when compared to my Garmin in my car.

Ran 4 laps and brought it in :
    Motor temp, 110.3F as per my trusty Turnigy temp meter
    Connectors 131F
    ESC 99.4F
    Max speed was 52.7Mph....

Hmmmm...Very interesting!

Let everything cool down again and put in the last battery.

Ran 7 laps and brought it in :
    Motor temp, 126,4F as per my trusty Turnigy temp meter
    Connectors 135F
    ESC 99.8F
    Max Speed was 52.4Mph

Still had 37% left in the Lipo!

Conclusions?????
    -I like the motor
    -Faster than with the AQ motor.
    -Sounds way cooler!
    -Everyone with a current 2030 motor should not run out and switch motors.
    -A viable motor to supplement the current "approved" motors (so what if it doesn't come in a RTR, need to get away from that mentality).
    -long term reliability...only time will tell, and we are running out of time as winters approaching.

46.5 seconds as per my non calibrated stopwatch.
    Well there's yer problem. You forgot to carry the one in your translation from Canadian

Good stuff John. Sorta what Doug was shooting for.

What were you on the GPS with the 2030?
    Noisy person

Around the 47ish mark, but with a X447 and a heavier GPS...never did gps the 445 with the 2030..but its definitely faster this time than when I last ran the boat 2 weeks ago with the 2030. Really notice a difference in the speed in the turns. Gets way more air under the boat and handles better with a higher speed.

Thanks John. I was wrong, today was nicer outside.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast