Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The NEW Proboat motor and ESC?

This motor is now offered in the v3 blackjack 29. I currently have one in my possession and am curious if its going to be a legal motor for 2015. The bullets are nice quality, good fit with my current 5.5 which are the am500 (something like that.) Hk variety or the venom 5.5. Comes with water jacket, competitive pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    This motor is now offered in the v3 blackjack 29. I currently have one in my possession and am curious if its going to be a legal motor for 2015. The bullets are nice quality, good fit with my current 5.5 which are the am500 (something like that.) Hk variety or the venom 5.5. Comes with water jacket, competitive pricing.
    me to
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Seems like no one wants to touch this. Looks like it may break the 5% clause ? It is offered in an rtr hull where over 100 units will be produced though. Up to the CD? I'll just run it and wait for the protest.

This boat with the Bj29v3 with its upgraded hull and hardware is heavier then the V1 hull so I suspect though I have not ran it yet got it in Dec.could use the boost. The extra of will give it.

Seems like no one wants to touch this.
    Cuz nobody knows I suspect.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Cuz nobody knows I suspect.
    iii) In addition, the CD has the discretion to allow the following:
    (a) An aftermarket motor that is a re-labeled and exact copy of any
    approved motor.
    (b) Any generational change of an approved motor, or a motor that
    is used in a Ready To Run (RTR) offering from a manufacturer
    that produces over 100 units of said offering, as long as there is
    no more than a 5% increase in any of the following
    manufacturers specifications as compared to any single
    approved motor: Kv, maximum constant amperage rating,
    mass, and MSRP.
    (c) The race flyer shall list additional allowed motors for the event

By my reading of the rules, if the motor isn't on the "approved" list of motors, then it must meet A, B, OR C...

The new Dynamite motors in the Pro Boat RTRs are new, and clearly don't meet "A".

The new Dynamite motors in the Pro Boat RTRs are also 61mm long, which exceeds the 5% rule for length, so they also don't meet "B".

Now, while I believe the INTENT was for "C" to be more of a "note" in regards to A and B, it READs as the third bullet; A third criteria to consider for allowance. As such, the CD of whatever "event" you are running must print a flyer identifying any additional motor allowances.

So, if your club has an upcoming race, and in the announcement (E-mail, etc.) for the race lists the additional motor allowances, then you would be allowed to run these, per the NAMBA rules as they are written.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

That sounds right Darin.

C should have read "if a motor is allowed in accordance with a. or b. it shall be indicated on the race flyer" or something to that effect.

50% of the motors on the current list aren't available any more. There really are no provisions for how to be added to the "list". Just how to handle a generation change or a clone like the Himax.

Wonder if Dave has 2 pennies on this.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    iii) In addition, the CD has the discretion to allow the following:
    (a) An aftermarket motor that is a re-labeled and exact copy of any
    approved motor.
    (b) Any generational change of an approved motor, or a motor that
    is used in a Ready To Run (RTR) offering from a manufacturer
    that produces over 100 units of said offering, as long as there is
    no more than a 5% increase in any of the following
    manufacturers specifications as compared to any single
    approved motor: Kv, maximum constant amperage rating,
    mass, and MSRP.
    (c) The race flyer shall list additional allowed motors for the event

By my reading of the rules, if the motor isn't on the "approved" list of motors, then it must meet A, B, OR C...

The new Dynamite motors in the Pro Boat RTRs are new, and clearly don't meet "A".

The new Dynamite motors in the Pro Boat RTRs are also 61mm long, which exceeds the 5% rule for length, so they also don't meet "B".

Now, while I believe the INTENT was for "C" to be more of a "note" in regards to A and B, it READs as the third bullet; A third criteria to consider for allowance. As such, the CD of whatever "event" you are running must print a flyer identifying any additional motor allowances.

So, if your club has an upcoming race, and in the announcement (E-mail, etc.) for the race lists the additional motor allowances, then you would be allowed to run these, per the NAMBA rules as they are written.
    I bet we in NAMBA20 would allow these new motors...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

We probably will too. Just a prediction though.

Motivation will be the "buy it race it angle".
    Noisy person

PSFEMBC (NAMBA D8) has already voted to allow them.

I abstained from that vote, by the way.

I guess Ill put it in a boat before I worry about it

Do NOT prop it like a "2030".... those are NOT 2000kv... the Dynamite is. You'll want to prop accordingly.

I'll keep that in mind. I'll start with a 40x53. Can always use it for the jet boat build,

Question uhhhh

Do NOT prop it like a "2030".... those are NOT 2000kv... the Dynamite is. You'll want to prop accordingly.

so this PB motor has "maybe" 7 to 8% more rpms vs the AQ2030
    and my AQ2030 powered
    PSpec Mono runs 95-100* after a 6 lap heat
    PSpec OPC runs 90-95* after a 6 lap heat
    PSpec Rigger runs 110-115* after a 6 lap heat
    LSH runs 105-110* after a 6 lap heat

that this new PB motor cannot swing those current props without heating up to burn notice ??
    I would think that a new motor design would be more powerful with a little more rpms

Who said anything about a "new motor design"?

It's just another rebranded motor that Dynamite decided would suit their RTR needs, being supplied by the lowest bidder.

You go up in KV, you generally lose torque, given the same basic physical size, so you prop down a bit and get your speed from prop speed rather than pitch. Pretty healthy difference in overall RPM between 1865kv and 2000kv on 4S.

Who said anything about a "new motor design"?

It's just another rebranded motor that Dynamite decided would suit their RTR needs, being supplied by the lowest bidder.

You go up in KV, you generally lose torque, given the same basic physical size, so you prop down a bit and get your speed from prop speed rather than pitch. Pretty healthy difference in overall RPM between 1865kv and 2000kv on 4S.
    IMO it's only healthy if you can use the same props otherwise you need to prop down and only maybe get to the original speeds of the AQ2030 setups being its only maybe 7% faster in kv with less torque
    in other words, if I cannot utilize the little bit of extra rpms then I don't think it would be a healthy difference

is this the same motor as in the Kyosho boat ?

think I will hold off and see how others do with this motor before ruling on it for NAMBA20

MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Healthy meaning significant? Some boats run better with smaller props

Healthy meaning significant? Some boats run better with smaller props
    Not my setups if I have to prop down ... with the AQ2030 I could prop up but that is not needed because they run so well now

I would say don't get this motor then. I wanted to check it out, got a good deal, had to have it. I dont mind be a test dummy at times.

Thumbs up

I would say don't get this motor then. I wanted to check it out, got a good deal, had to have it. I dont mind be a test dummy at times.
    Let us know how things go Michael
    I don't see any reason I couldn't use the same props on my boats now and just swap out the AQ2030 with this PB2k

First instinct is to prop up, so go to a 40-38 on my boat do I go 2 mm on strut from flat to make up for smaller prop size? On my new
    Bj. 29
    Last edited by montymike; 01-07-2015 at 05:28 AM.

Cool

...I don't see any reason I couldn't use the same props on my boats now and just swap out the AQ2030 with this PB2k
    Really? How about less torque to swing the same prop? When the FE30 first came out several of us tried different motors to see which worked best. We could not get the speeds we wanted with the 1800 motors even with large props. We put in the 2030 motors, propped down and went 2-4 mph faster.....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Let us know how things go Michael
    I don't see any reason I couldn't use the same props on my boats now and just swap out the AQ2030 with this PB2k
    With all due respect, you are making comments as if you don't truly understand how electric motors actually work. I've followed your previous conversations so I think I know better than that. Not sure where the disconnect here is coming from?

I'll say it again... The AQ "2030" is NOT a 2030KV motor... it's 1865 at best. I recall some of the original ones testing to 1930KV, but I've NEVER seen one test over that... EVER, and I've tested a LOT of them. ALL of the recent ones I've tested are in the 1865KV range.

You have ONLY been able to get away with running the ridiculous sized props that people seem to run with these (X447, etc) BECAUSE these ARE NOT 2000KV motors! You are propping for a motor significantly less than that.

If you don't think it's significant, do some math:

1865KV * 14.8 = 27602
    2000KV * 14.8 = 29600

That's 1998 MORE RPM...

Seriously trying to suggest that a prop change isn't in order??

I really, REALLY, don't think many of you put enough emphasis on just HOW important that little wheel on the back of the boat really is. NOT just in speed, but in exit speeds, cornering speeds, HANDLING, etc.

We all know that with the 2030, heat is the devil.

Are these about the same? Can they handle more/less heat? Does anyone really know?
    Noisy person

Cool

FWIW, using motor temperature to determine a safe amp draw has little value without context. Last summer, with ambient temps in the low 100s and water temps around 90*F, my motors (Limited and Open) would come back after 6 laps around 130*F. No problem, this is well below the point of motor damage. A couple weeks ago, with both ambient and water temps in the 50s, the same boats had motor temps below 95*F after six laps. No changes other than the date. A setup which is fine in the winter or in colder climates may burn up on a hot summer day on a warm pond. Too, the time between hitting the beach and measuring the temps matters. The ESC in particular can cool off quickly, after five minutes it can be 50* cooler than immediately after shutting down.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

so this PB motor has "maybe" 7 to 8% more rpms vs the AQ2030
    and my AQ2030 powered
    PSpec Mono runs 95-100* after a 6 lap heat
    PSpec OPC runs 90-95* after a 6 lap heat
    PSpec Rigger runs 110-115* after a 6 lap heat
    LSH runs 105-110* after a 6 lap heat

that this new PB motor cannot swing those current props without heating up to burn notice ??
    I would think that a new motor design (or relabeled) would be more powerful with a little more rpms
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    We all know that with the 2030, heat is the devil.

Are these about the same? Can they handle more/less heat? Does anyone really know?
    That's my point all together
    I'm the one who brought FE to District 20 and we are always looking for new things
    and as you can see from my setups and if you see them run you would understand I know what I'm doing
    I just cannot drive worth a damn

at best the PB2K motor is only 7% faster in rpms and if it cannot swing my setups now without burning up, then ..... ....... .......

So Darin , on bj. 29 v3 stock prop and smaller ?

Quote Originally Posted by montymike View Post
    So Darin , on bj. 29 v3 stock prop and smaller ?
    No... the boat was horribly under-propped with the 1800KV motor... That's why you could run a BJ29 around until battery cutoff, in stock trim on 4S, without burning things up. Exactly the way a RTR should be. :)

at best the PB2K motor is only 7% faster in rpms and if it cannot swing my setups now without burning up, then ..... ....... .......
    Whatever you say...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast