Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The NEW Proboat motor and ESC?

Quote Originally Posted by montymike View Post
    6s?
    I'm not sure why you are hung up on the "rated" voltage... Neu's, Castle's, etc., are all rated MUCH higher than most sensible boaters would ever run one...

Personally, I choose to use my own foundation in boating information to decide just how hard I'm willing to push a motor. Relying on "marketing" and "manufacturers specs" is likely to get you in trouble... or at least smelly and in need of some Scotch-Bright pads and some denatured alcohol...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Now... if there is gray, then we (NAMBA), have an issue that needs to be worked out.

Either way, I'm not going to stress over it. I'd like to see this thing keep going, but don't want to get all bunched up over it.
    haha Yeah, I do enough stressing for both of us. There isn't exactly a gray area. It's more of a "we didn't do enough homework" problem. Hind sight of course. Some of the 4 parameters that new offerings should be trying to match can't be had on the motors that are on the list. So compliance/conformance is difficult. It's going to come down to someone trying to to very deliberate NOT screw up the class.

Back on track. I gotta ask. I thought Proboat and as a result Horizon or vice versa were dumping Dynamite? Are they getting back on line with them?

Those last 1800 motors that they were turning out were fantastic. I put one on a gear drive over the weekend. Awesome. Are you thinking these will be similar?
    Noisy person

6s?
    I run a 1860kv motor on 7s...on the regular and it lives just fine. Yes i do more than run it for a couple seconds too.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Open rear plate and look for solder joints if none it is a "D" wind if there is a joint in the windings it's a "Y" wind.

Sorry ,got a glass hatch for my mystic was starting a collection
    Of cracked ones... That 3660 2000 kv would make it run good. Wonder if it is a wey or delta wind
    Had the same question with my proboat motor but tecs.at horizon could not
    Answer that, they said they did not have that info.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I thought Proboat and as a result Horizon or vice versa were dumping Dynamite?
    Dynamite and Pro Boat are both Horizon Hobby entities. It's all the same big company, just different divisions. Pro Boat isn't "dumping" Dynamite. Dynamite is simple changing who they are sourcing their motors from.

Those last 1800 motors that they were turning out were fantastic. I put one on a gear drive over the weekend. Awesome. Are you thinking these will be similar?
    No... I don't think so. These are distinctly different. I can't say yet how they compare. Not enough time on them yet. I can say that the ones I've tested are all in the 1980KV area.. so truly "2000-KV"... Every AQ2030 I've tested was under 1900... in the 1860-1880 range.

As a result, you need to TREAT these like they are a 2000KV motor. Prop selection will need some rethinking.

I took a few pictures for you guys to mull over. Motor on the right is the latest of the Dynamite/Pro Boat 1800's... As you can see from the dimensions, the new motors are slightly longer, but a tad less overall diameter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Open rear plate and look for solder joints if none it is a "D" wind if there is a joint in the windings it's a "Y" wind.
    There are going to be solder joints regardless.... The windings are soldered to the heavy-wire leads that exit the endbell. They no-longer run the windings out the end.

There are going to be solder joints regardless.... The windings are soldered to the heavy-wire leads that exit the endbell. They no-longer run the windings out the end.
    Flexible leads. Like it.

Is there anyway to spray air through them after a dunk? Looks totally sealed up.

How is the weight? No holes anywhere I would think heavier than necessary.
    Noisy person

Flexible leads. Like it.

Is there anyway to spray air through them after a dunk? Looks totally sealed up.

How is the weight? No holes anywhere I would think heavier than necessary.
    I haven't weighed it. No holes. Water can definitely get trapped inside. I have one I took apart from a test platform they sent me and there was rust forming inside (they had been running it around quite a bit)...

the "trapping water" thing is definitely a concern for OPC... BUT, that's only an issue if the motor were actually legal, which, I would have to say at this point it's probably not??? Time will tell I guess...

When rewound electrical motors several years ago for a motor rewind shop
    That was how it was done the windings were assembled and solderd together. Now it appears that the wires are all one single strand. And a y wind y is identifiable from a d I ask this because what setting on esc. If u use another brand other then proboat or dynamite thanks mike

When rewound electrical motors several years ago for a motor rewind shop
    That was how it was done the windings were assembled and solderd together. Now it appears that the wires are all one single strand. And a y wind y is identifiable from a d I ask this because what setting on esc. If u use another brand other then proboat or dynamite thanks mike
    I've inquired, but haven't heard back yet. If I find out, I'll post it here.

I do have one of these motors torn down. I'll try to get a picture of the inside view to post. I think we could tell by looking at that.

Thanks... Mike

Sorry, I was not more specific. I just thought most people that open up a sealed motor like this with silicon leads out the back or top already knows those wires are soldered onto the enameled windings. It's the Solder joint on the windings to terminate any Y wind motor as compared to a D wind that has no EXTRA soldering of windings.
    I thought most people had figured this out already.

Imo the front plate looks like an unfinished TP Power motor.... begging to be drilled out...

Example: I have opened up a 1515 1Y Neu and even though the old ones have the windings come out the back, inside to make the motor a Y wind the windings have to be soldered inside the can before the main wires come out the back so, there is an extra solder joint inside. The same is true for the car style Leopards that look like this or a Castle 1515 1Y that have the silicone leads out the side. the silicone covered wire is soldered to the windings on the inside BUT, being Y winds there is an extra joint to terminate the motor to make it a Y wind, where D winds this is not required, all winding strands for a D wind come neatly together after the wind, hence the reason why TP Power and Leo originally made 90% D winds because the lower cost to manufacture.

Clear as mud right?
    Last edited by ray schrauwen; 10-07-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I will have to assume (make ass out of self) that if this motor is approved for spec racing it would be illegal to drill out the plates. Motor must be run as supplied from manufacturer aside from water cooling and connectors.

I must say, this motor looks like its built much better than the older version. I'm impressed. Now if i could just get my hands on a new shockwave soon, I'll be happy! I cant wait till it comes out! This will entertain me in the smaller bodies of water I run in.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

2-Turn (2T) Delta wind...

Thanks darin..mike

ok got to ask,,,,,what size connectors come on this new motor? I just finished soldering 3 of ther last batch of 1500's and a 1800 and now have to order another batch of 5.5's got a ton of female ends though lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    ok got to ask,,,,,what size connectors come on this new motor? I just finished soldering 3 of ther last batch of 1500's and a 1800 and now have to order another batch of 5.5's got a ton of female ends though lol
    Standard 5.5s... which is a great thing.

darn now I probably have to buy one
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    darn now I probably have to buy one
    The price seems right... (part of the reason for the manufacturer change)

Just PLEASE understand... you have to TREAT these like a REAL 2000KV motor... People used to treating a "2030KV" motor as if it has the torque of a 1860KV motor, which is what has been going on to this point, are going to be disappointed if they try to treat this motor the same way. It's REALLY 1980KV.... so you need to prop it accordingly.

If you are used to running a 42x55 with some pitch-up, you might want to back down to a 40mm prop and work from there... maybe even 38mm...

Have you had a chance to run gps with the new motor and prop combo? if so have the results been comparable to previous generation motors?

Received a package last night....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Must be nice....LOL

I know that you know what I'm thinking re the Nov. soiree
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I know that you know what I'm thinking re the Nov. soiree
    Hahhaa... Nope... Not "approved"...

Received a package last night....
    I know your gonna run them a few times for testing.....so....hit me up when you wanna sell that esc...lol

Hahhaa... Nope... Not "approved"...

Yeah but I'm running exact numbers with the 2030 over and over. During a lull a trial run with the PB could yield some interesting unapproved "food for future thought"
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I know your gonna run them a few times for testing.....so....hit me up when you wanna sell that esc...lol
    I've already tested these and I can tell you that people are going to LIKE these ESCs... very smooth, reverse, big wires, actually ADVERTISED as being "waterproof", etc.

A little different form-factor, but definitely adaptable.

I approve... :)

Was at lhs today and they had a kyosho 900ve hurricane. The pic on the box of motor and esc looked same as these new pb ones just different color.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast