Thread: Spektrum tx/rx reception issues

Default Spektrum tx/rx reception issues

Frustrating day at the pond today........ I have Sprektrum DX3C/mr200 in 4 boats, and some days are better than others, and some boats are better than others.
    Notice I said reception, not range. You see, I can usually go pretty far out in distance, but there are a couple spots at either end of the oval I run, at both ponds I go to, where my signal drops out, I mean like almost the exact same spots..... and I'm not talking real far away, less than 100 yds. Today it was particularly bad, and I actually had to paddle all the way to within 20' of the boat, hoping something didn't smoke, before I got it back, which was a good 4-5 minutes dead in the water. Sometimes the Whiplash is the worst offender, but today they all did it, repeatedly. Some with RX packs, some with external bec, glass hulls, wood hull, all have antenna tubes, all had the second wire out of the hull, good tx batts, I've tried everything. I am going to try my DX4R Pro that I use for cars, but other than that, I'm at a loss. I know some use aircraft radios, but I'm all set with sticks......I have read that Futaba is superior, and I am finally at the end of my rope to where I'm willing to look into that road and switch them all over. I'd hate to do it, because Spektrum has been great to me with customer service, and has performed great in my cars, not to mention the 6 or 7 mr200's I own... Nobody else runs boats here, so nobody else to compare to. I am beginning to wonder if the residents around the pond are conspiring against me and jamming my signal to discourage me from running there, the tinfoil helmet I made protects my brain from their signals but my boats are still vulnerable......it also could be aliens.

I have been dealing with it for a few seasons, and it doesn't seem to be a brown out, I can run a tighter oval with repeated back to back turns without issue, and it usually sits dead in the water until it drifts out of the "hole", taking far longer than an esc reboot. I am sick of wading or walking around with my radio up in the air trying to get it back.
    I should also add that, I run from 2 different spots at both ponds, pretty far away perpendicularly from eachother, running a different oval, and I still seem to lose it in roughly the same areas. The Whiplash will actually cut in and out while carving through the turn sometimes, quicker than an esc reboot....can't be good on electronics...

Anybody experience this "Bermuda Triangle/Black Hole" effect? Is Futaba really a cure?

Thanks for any input, I'll let you know if the DX4R Pro works any better when I get a chance to try.

-----10/25/14-----Edit/Update-Used a Futaba today, it was WAAAAAY better than the Spektrum. It was the farthest I have ever driven my boats, and I had to go pretty far out of my comfort zone to get it to cut out, but even when it did it was only for a split second. Freedom at last!
    Last edited by kevinpratt823; 10-25-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Kevin,

Try one of these..I think it should fix the problem..

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1600

John
    JOHN A. GROSS
    MILLBROOK, AL
    Crickety Crack Racing Team

for some reason i get the feeling like certain radio brands work better in certain areas of the country than others. and visa versa.
    i think trying a futaba is a good idea.
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

also kevin, you had range issues when you ran with me last year, here up at the Hopkington state park... i think a new radio brand is in order. can't hurt to try one. whats the return policy if its no better?
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

I have a couple to give a shot, but like I said, I can run back to back turns in a tighter circle no problem, and this thing sits dead for several minutes sometimes. A capacitor only really helps with momentary brown outs, I run them in all my cars, this thing sits dead for several minutes sometimes, it's not just rebooting the esc. I should not need that with an rx pack anyway I don't think, but I'll bring one next time. And I have also bought the Spektrum signal booster to no avail, it is my understanding that those aren't intended to help with this anyway, I think they are more for airplanes running dual servos and such, pretty sure they only boost the middle signal wire.....It also doesn't make sense for brown outs that all 4 boats are drastically worse on a particular day, and that it seems to cut out even when going straight in those areas....

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    also kevin, you had range issues when you ran with me last year, here up at the Hopkington state park... i think a new radio brand is in order. can't hurt to try one. whats the return policy if its no better?
    Not sure on return policy. I'm going to make some last ditch efforts and try a few things, mainly my DX4R Pro and a capacitor and see if it's any different, maybe even some alkaline batts in the TX to bring the voltage up compared to the rechargeables, and a 6 cell RX pack.......

Just realize, with the Mr 200 if you are running a receiver pack or external bec there are no open ports to plug in a capacitor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
    Not sure on return policy. I'm going to make some last ditch efforts and try a few things, mainly my DX4R Pro and a capacitor and see if it's any different, maybe even some alkaline batts in the TX to bring the voltage up compared to the rechargeables, and a 6 cell RX pack.......
    I'm going through reading all the posts and I'm thinking I bet this guy is using rechargeable batteries in his transmitter. Yep. That's 1.2v lower total voltage than alkaline. I don't think I even need to say it........
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Btw, if you decide to switch. ...I would like to buy a marine receiver or two from you. So pm me if you decide to. Thx
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I'm going through reading all the posts and I'm thinking I bet this guy is using rechargeable batteries in his transmitter. Yep. That's 1.2v lower total voltage than alkaline. I don't think I even need to say it........
    Just got back, tried some alkalines, they were in my bag so not new, but brought voltage up to 5.2v, no difference. Rechargeables with a fresh charge is 5.1v, and mine get swapped before they hit 4.8(they were 5.1 today) as I have a few sets. Even new alkalines only get you to 6-6.1v and only for a little while, KFXguy did you notice a big difference with them? If that's it then you must have to change them often..... Tried the DX4R Pro back to back with no major difference either. 2 different boats, 1 with 6v rx pack(full charge), one with external bec, with 2 different radios, cutting out in the same spot, even when going straight.........Wish I had a fresh set of alkalines with me to try, but if that is the difference, and this tx won't work properly below say 5.5v, then I am still considering switching.........
    I rrun the same rechargeables in my car radio, and have never had a problem with my 1/5 scale Losi 5ive-T, and I cover just as much ground I think.
    Are any of you guys using rechargeables in your radios without issues?
    At what TX voltage do you experience problems with signal loss?

If you do switch over to Futaba, please post back you findings, I like to know as I have my own Bermudas but I run Spektrum ( with antenna tubes) and Tactics , now phasing out the latter. I don't have the Futaba in my agenda as of now. The radio which is unfazed by this, not once affected is a FlySky, but I am not going to elaborate on that. I have been thinking about Futaba however...
    BTW, no CF hulls, only wood and FG ones...
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Man I never ran rechargeable batts. But I did have issues once when I had ran down alkalines.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Man I never ran rechargeable batts. But I did have issues once when I had ran down alkalines.
    Do you remember how far down they were when you started to have issues by any chance?
    I would think that 5.1v should be within operating range, if not then that's a bummer for Spektrum...Charging some packs now, may try and go test the theory today, if not then maybe after work this week.......

Considering Spektrum actually makes and sells thesehttp://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM9525
    Advertising as-
    "Spektrum’s new rechargeable 1500mAh NiMH AA batteries are ideal for powering the Spektrum DX6i and DX5e 2.4GHz DSM2 transmitters or any other transmitter that uses AA batteries. Each package contains 4 individual 1.2V NiMH AA cells."

You would think it should be within the operating range.......

Kevin,

For years I used Airtronics and had glitches here and there and lost races because of it.

In February I purchased a Spektrum DX4R Pro and 8 MR3000 receivers to convert all my boats.

It started out as a nightmare and again had glitches. I called customer service and found out my Transmitter had an older program in it so I quickly updated it.
    They also suggested using voltage protectors which John suggested above.

I haven't had a problem since then even on the offshore course at the Nationals.

Check it out...I hope it works for you.

Thank you,
    Mike

Thanks 427, I'll see about updating the DX4R Pro, but the DX3C won't have that option I don't think, and really shouldn't need to IMO, others are doing just fine with it. And as far as the voltage protectors, I'll have to get some Y harness', as I have all MR200's, which only have 3 ports, the third is used by the rx batt or bec. Thank you for the input, maybe I'll try to have a chat with customer service as well.

My reception in my cheap TRX radios is reduced when I use my rechargeables...
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Put in brand new alkalines, and ran the second antenna up the tube with the other in one of 2 boats. I seem to have gained a little distance, but both boats still cut out in roughly the same are, though it was a bit farther away than last time with the rechargeables. I will try a Y harness to a glitch buster next time, but I definitely need to get it better than this for next season, as I am building a KBB 45" and speeds will be well above what I'm running now, gonna need the range......

Glitch buster made no difference. Sometimes it's quick cutouts, sometimes it goes dead, kind of odd. Whiplash20 with Hydra ICE 240 will cut in and out through the turn, while others will go dead for a moment, but sometimes not even long enough that the ESC would be re-booting.....
    Here are a couple vids from today, just to give you an idea roughly how far I'm talking, if you pay close attention you'll pick you'll see it cut out. It may have even been the cause of the flip at the end of this one...... And today was better than usual, it's a fine line on the left end, a few feet more and I lose it.

Hi Kevin! I've got the same issue with my DX3C with MR3000. I am using ESC BEC (5VDC) feeding my receiver and rudder servo. It is interesting, when my boat got out of control, I found the rudder servo still alive but ESC is dead (reset?) and I have to restart ESC turning off\on main battery to make ESC alive.
    I think this problem could be by power supply issue to the MR3000 (BEC voltage drop during huge acceleration in my case). I am doubt about Rx\Tx glitches because I run my boat no more then 10-25 meters distance from Transmitter usually.
    For this boat I never got the same problem using old unbreakable 27Mhz TQ Traxxas or 2.4Futaba 3PM.
    I am looking solution now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_O View Post
    Hi Kevin! I've got the same issue with my DX3C with MR3000. I am using ESC BEC (5VDC) feeding my receiver and rudder servo. It is interesting, when my boat got out of control, I found the rudder servo still alive but ESC is dead (reset?) and I have to restart ESC turning off\on main battery to make ESC alive.
    I think this problem could be by power supply issue to the MR3000 (BEC voltage drop during huge acceleration in my case). I am doubt about Rx\Tx glitches because I run my boat no more then 10-25 meters distance from Transmitter usually.
    For this boat I never got the same problem using old unbreakable 27Mhz TQ Traxxas or 2.4Futaba 3PM.
    I am looking solution now.
    Your problem does sound like the BEC. If you can raise the voltage up from 5vdc it may help, and perhaps add a glitch buster capacitor, I know the Spektrum stuff doesn't like lower voltages. I am having the problem with both BEC and 5 cell NMH RX packs with glitch buster capacitors, but good luck!

-----10/25/14----Update------Used a Futaba today, it was WAAAAAY better than the Spektrum. It was the farthest I have ever driven my boats, and I had to go pretty far out of my comfort zone to get it to cut out, but even when it did it was only for a split second. Freedom at last!

Default Spektrum tx/rx reception issues

I had a feeling the futaba was the key.

Glad you finally got one that works for you :yesway:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a feeling the futaba was the key.

Glad you finally got one that works for you :yesway:

Thanks, now if I only had a buddy to run boats with..........hint hint lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I sold everything I had. (

I sold everything I had. (

I know, start building!

This winter I am planning a build -)

Hi Kevin,
    How is your new RC going now?
    Still happy?
    You didn't actually say what model you got, Tx & Rx?
    Waterproof, marine etc...
    I'm only needing 2 channels, steering and winch.
    I'd love to know as both of my SPEKTRUM DX2M & MR200 sets, on yachts so no big power draws, get between 20-40ft from shore and drop out, terminally, after working perfectly on the beach...
    I Sure am getting tired of paddling after them...
    And talk about Un-impressive when I've invited someone over to have a go or race!
    Feed back would be appreciated.