Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Using a Castle ICE Aircraft Controller in FE boats

Great thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Team Liquid Dash

Can you guys tell me this the power rails in the picture are electrically isolated from one another? What I would like to do is make a extrusion just like the other side of the controller and mount water tube to both sides. My concern is that if I bridge the pos and neg sides of the controller with the extrusion that it will short out the controller.

Team Liquid Dash

I also received two of the 200 lite controllers and they appear to be built differently. One has some type of tape on the neg rail and the other has nothing. What kind of tape is this and can I just remove it to add the watercooling?

Team Liquid Dash

Just glue extrusions with arctic silver epoxy like the way everyone else is doing and it will be fine since it the epoxy isn't conductive

Wanted to post some pics of the aluminum cooling plates that my buddy made for me. First test today went great, really made a huge difference in cooling.

Team Liquid Dash

Thats pretty nice, did you make the metal yourself?

They were machined out of a block of square aluminum tubing.
    Team Liquid Dash

Nice job Ray.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Can't take any credit for these except maybe being the Guinea pig that tried them first

Team Liquid Dash

Vary nice.

Raydee, how much did you pay to get those made? And who :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t wait to get my air controller and do this mod. Years ago I bought some cheap (china as they get) esc’s, they were so dinosaur looking the boards were stacked with rods it was caged looking and they cogged really bad on startup. I remember completely coating the entire thing in JB and after that cured I JB’d on aluminum tubes and when the tubes cured filled in the rest of it with JB. I never even used it and gave it to a friend.After 11 years and over 100 hours of used it still works great!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Torque Roll with a twin when turning at speed.
    If you have your props turning inbound, you will have problems turning at speed.
    When you turn the outside motor loads up in a turn, and the torque of that motor is now trying to rotate the boat even more to the outside, causing a flip.

This is why I run my props outbound on my twin race Cat, when the outside motor loads up in a turn, the torque of that motor is now trying to hold the boat flat on the water.
    I have found that I can now turn at almost full speed. My "Q" Cat runs at a full speed of 70MPH.

The top speed of the boat would be a bit faster with inbound props in a straight line, but cannot turn without slowing down (FLIP)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1675...1255439039918/
    I do not know if this will work,
    Above is a old video of my cat , when I was still setting it up.
    Larry
    The outside motor in a turn will never load up , the inside is what “amps/loads up”
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Raydee View Post

I’m so ready to put a cooling tube directly on this part.. thin layer of JB and then brass tube right on it
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    I’m so ready to put a cooling tube directly on this part.. thin layer of JB and then brass tube right on it
    I am not sure JB weld is the best for this application. You want something that is specifically designed to conduct heat (thermal epoxy). I've used this product with good results.

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Alumin...=thermal+epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    The outside motor in a turn will never load up , the inside is what “amps/loads up”
    Randy

I was talking about large CAT's in my statement.
    The outside motor will load up in a turn at high speed.

Larry

Randy

I was talking about large CAT's in my statement.
    The outside motor will load up in a turn at high speed.

Larry
    On the my quad drive if I did a bunch of right hand turns at end of run the voltages on my 4 batteries would always read lower starting from the right side of the boat and go up in volts as I went threw each separate system , the battery driving the prop that found itself on the outside of the turn the most would always read higher voltage. That’s why I say the inside was loaded because the prop/system running inside of the turn always consumed more power. That’s my understanding of loading, kind of like a positive differential the inside seems to over torque and slip and the outside tire wants to be pulled threw the turn. sorry if I’m not getting it !

Randy
    --Albert Einstein

Randy
    Maybe in your Quad drive.
    I am talking about a large light Twin Cat for "Q" Racing.
    In a turn at high speed (over 70MPH) The hull tilts to the outside ( opposite of a Mono) therefore loading the outside prop more.

This is why I always run my setups so that both motors see both batteries, This way toward the end of a race, the inside motor does not have more battery causing the boat to want to turn left when the steering is center.

Also for racing, I recommend running your props outbound NOT in bound.

When Outbound - when the outside motor loads up.(deeper in the water) the torque of that loaded motor will try and bring the hull back to flat running.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Randy
    Maybe in your Quad drive.
    I am talking about a large light Twin Cat for "Q" Racing.
    In a turn at high speed (over 70MPH) The hull tilts to the outside ( opposite of a Mono) therefore loading the outside prop more.

This is why I always run my setups so that both motors see both batteries, This way toward the end of a race, the inside motor does not have more battery causing the boat to want to turn left when the steering is center.

Also for racing, I recommend running your props outbound NOT in bound.

When Outbound - when the outside motor loads up.(deeper in the water) the torque of that loaded motor will try and bring the hull back to flat running.

Larry
    That makes sense, thank you Larry .
    --Albert Einstein

Ordered the Mamba XLX today, I’m going to leave it factory with the fan and going to add water cool to the factory heat sink housing, I’ll make a couple water cooling plates that go on the side probably attach them with thermally conductive Yamabond gasket maker or might even just JB to the side. Price point was better with this esc vs the air controller and will work out of the box with my old DX3S radios. Going to use the IOS Bluetooth programming implement also . Castle said they are working on the telemetry program for iOS still but that’s coming
    --Albert Einstein

I was looking over this thread as I am about to convert a couple Castles and liked the extrusion idea but shipping on an $8 piece of Alum is $45. Anyway getting some round tube at my hardware store I found some rectangular stock that cutting one side off slips right over the buss bars. I can solder cooling tubes easily and fasten them with Artic Silver.
    Mic
    C1.JPGc2.JPGIMG_0597.JPGc5.JPG

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Hi,
    When programming a phoenix ice 200 with castle pc link cable after water cooling it for boat use , can you tell me what settings should be used for "Vehicle Type", "Throttle Type" and "Throttle Response" please.

Vehicle Type options are: Airplane, Helicopter, Control Line, Multi Rotor, External Governor
    Throttle Type options are: Fixed Endpoints, Auto Calculated Endpoints
    Throttle Response options are: Low (2), Medium (5), High (8), Custom.

Thanks
    Trev

I used Airplane, Auto Endpoints, and Medium.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Trev, what type of radio do you have?
    Settings on the Castle ICE or Edge controllers: Airplane, fixed, low

I use Futaba pistol grip radios with the following settings:

4PK: Throttle channel reversed, throttle split 70/30, sub trim back 100, main trim back 30.
    4PX: Throttle channel reversed, throttle split 100/0

-Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Fluid and Tyler,
    Thank you both for your replies.

Tyler, I am using a Futuba 3pmx wheel radio. Any info on trim / sub trim numbers for this radio by chance?

Thanks
    Trev

Does that radio have a 70/30 throttle split option? if no, you may need to find a PISTIX adapter.
    You can try all your subtrim and maintrim back 100% and see of the ESC will arm.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=msw-pistix
    Simple solution for Pistol TX works like a charm no special settings needed.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234