Thread: Prop balancers - not accurate

Default Prop balancers - not accurate

I've been using the big top flite balancer and although I've read a lot of mixed reviews on it I find it to be very accurate. The prop will sit there forever it seems swinging till it finally comes to a stop which to me means it's very touchy and I would think is a good thing. I just bought the one from OSE and my dad has the similar one from Kintec and these things you can take an octura prop right from the package (unbalanced of course) put them on the balancer and basically get them to stop where ever you want them too. How are guys balancing there props with these, Am I not setting it up right??

Thanks,

Jeff
    Michigan Fast Electric SAW Club
    Revolt - 76.9mph...Building a DF35- Project Mono

Cool

The real issue is, how perfect does the prop balance have to be? In reality the biggest cause of driveline vibration is the prop blades hitting the water twice each revolution. This event causes a BIG amount of vibration, so a small amount of prop imbalance is insignificant.

This doesn't mean that prop balance is not important, only that "perfect" balance is not required. I have personally checked the balance of several props used to set SAW records of over 110 mph and they were close but NOT perfect.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The real issue is, how perfect does the prop balance have to be? In reality the biggest cause of driveline vibration is the prop blades hitting the water twice each revolution. This event causes a BIG amount of vibration, so a small amount of prop imbalance is insignificant.

This doesn't mean that prop balance is not important, only that "perfect" balance is not required. I have personally checked the balance of several props used to set SAW records of over 110 mph and they were close but NOT perfect.

Ok that makes me feel better. I'm a perfectionist and I spend hours getting my props to be dead on balanced, which can be frustrating at times. Maybe now knowing that it's not terribly important to have them dead on I can spend more time driving my boat!

Thanks!
    Michigan Fast Electric SAW Club
    Revolt - 76.9mph...Building a DF35- Project Mono

There is an easy way to balance props that I've been using. Look for the new thread today.

I used a top flight balancer for a while and found that the small Chinese one that I got to put in my travelling bag to be better, much better when it was new, but just better now the chrome plating has worn off the neodymium magnets. The best one I have used is a wooden one a buddy made himself where he glued a piece of glass over the magnets, I really must buy a box of microscope slides and do the same to my little Chinese one.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

The one OSE sells, the orange one, http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80310 beats any of the Grim Racer or Top flight balancers. I know, I have them all. The top flight is not accurate and unbalanced as the cones are way off. The Grim is ok, but not sensitive enough. The OSE one is extremely accurate.

I actually make the points like needles to make them sharper to make the balancer more sensitive. I also take small razor blades and place them over the magnets to create a very smooth surface for the needle shaft to spin on. When I'm really picky I will even put lube on the points to reduce friction to get the balancer as accurate and even more sensitive. Insane? Yes. Necessary? Probably not. I know this is extreme but I'm all about accuracy.

I did similar with the orange one, put shaft in a drill and got the tips sharper with some sandpaper, and I glued some little peices of lexan over the magnets. Too bad it won't support larger props though.....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by kevinpratt823; 10-21-2014 at 03:55 PM.

not fond about any balancer using the silver magnets AS it seems to hold the shaft to tight, I have polished up the rare earth magnet and it does work better I also have use .015 mylar on the face of the magnets as they do chip easy I use Seebold balancers in my opinion are the best, I have had problems with really sharp points as they fall into the grain of the magnet and ride up or down , I just smothed the tip a bit and it worked better the tips do wear out and there are many ways of doing this with good results
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris, any idea where to get one of those. That's pretty sweet.

I've been using a Zero G for years and it's shot. Magnets are worn and so are the bits.
    Noisy person

Never mind. Found Steve already.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Never mind. Found Steve already.
    There you go,, I just sent him a text,, please mention I sent you his way thanks chris

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    not fond about any balancer using the silver magnets AS it seems to hold the shaft to tight, I have polished up the rare earth magnet and it does work better I also have use .015 mylar on the face of the magnets as they do chip easy I use Seebold balancers in my opinion are the best, I have had problems with really sharp points as they fall into the grain of the magnet and ride up or down , I just smothed the tip a bit and it worked better the tips do wear out and there are many ways of doing this with good results
    Now that is a nice balancer!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

he has got 1 3/16 left I just got off the phone with him

kevinpratt823

I did similar with the orange one, put shaft in a drill and got the tips sharper with some sandpaper, and I glued some little peices of lean over the magnets. Too bad it won't support larger props though.....

My private off road rc track

Place strong magnets on the back of the existing ones and it will.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
    I did similar with the orange one, put shaft in a drill and got the tips sharper with some sandpaper, and I glued some little peices of lean over the magnets. Too bad it won't support larger props though.....

what is lean ???

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    what is lean ???
    I was typing on my phone, it was supposed to say lexan. Auto correct strikes again.

Sweet Accord, thank you for the idea, that hadn't occurred to me.
    My standards for my prop work are probably a lot lower than the level a few of you are at, so the Grim balancer has done well for my use with larger props also.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
    I was typing on my phone, it was supposed to say lexan. Auto correct strikes again.

Sweet Accord, thank you for the idea, that hadn't occurred to me.
    My standards for my prop work are probably a lot lower than the level a few of you are at, so the Grim balancer has done well for my use with larger props also.
    The Grim one will get you where you need to be where most everyone will say it's fine. I'm not like most everyone. LOL.

I really like that seemed prop balancer. The guided acme threaded adjuster sold me, lots of room to work to. Who's the contact you have Dasboata? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    I really like that seemed prop balancer. The guided acme threaded adjuster sold me, lots of room to work to. Who's the contact you have Dasboata? Thanks
    you can PM me here of send to dasboata@aol.com !

Email sent Chris..
    Nortavlag Bulc

I have this one for sale it is brand new it has been sold next batch will cost more as I nexver took into concideration the $15 it cost to get it shipped to me thanks chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dasboata; 12-11-2014 at 09:03 AM.

The trick to using the Orange magnet balancers is, one end can not touch the magnet. It has to be suspended by the magnetic field, if both ends are touching it will bind like some of you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    The trick to using the Orange magnet balancers is, one end can not touch the magnet. It has to be suspended by the magnetic field, if both ends are touching it will bind like some of you are talking about.
    Correct, and if you add a very thin polished razor on the end that is touching, and drop a tiny bit of light lube it it will become even more crazy sensitive as very little resistance. I've been doing this since magnetic balancers hit the market.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    Correct, and if you add a very thin polished razor on the end that is touching, and drop a tiny bit of light lube it it will become even more crazy sensitive as very little resistance. I've been doing this since magnetic balancers hit the market.
    That sounds like a awsome idea, I'll have to give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    That sounds like a awsome idea, I'll have to give it a try!