Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crc outerlimits

Default crc outerlimits

Just starting my build of my crc 70in outerlimits. Will be powered by cc2028s on 10s 150c 8000 mah maxamps lipos. Drives will be ashark m8s and all internal parts will be cf. Have build boats before but this is my first using cf. What is best to use for bonding to the hull? Thanks for any help. Pics soon.Attachment 120877
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool looking boat and drives. I suggest West Systems 105/207 epoxy this is the epoxy most of us use. There are a lot of additives out there I would pick up some black pigment, 404, and 406 fillers. For additional stuff like battery trays, servo mounts, etc, I would look into Dragon Plate cf plates, probably some of the hardest plate you can buy you'll see what I mean if you ever have to drill it. They sell a lot of stock discounted and its reasonably priced.

Thanks for the info. I have been on dp site and they do have very nice plate. I plan on mocking up everything with ply and sending the pieces to be cnc out of cf.

Very nice drives! Been eyeing those for a while but they're soo expensive and you got TWO of them. Wow, looking forward to your build and review of the drives.

those drives are sick! who makes those?

"There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Arrow shark makes the drives. They are very pricey. They do run specials from time to time. I got mine at 20 percent off with two sets of props free. They say they will handle 10hp. We will see. They do have spare parts and will be ordering a couple sets of gears to have.

They look awsome and if you're building a scale type boat the look realistic, but don't they eat up some HP to drive them?

They will eat up a little. They spin pretty easily because they have 10 bearings in each drive instead of bushings. Building for looks and fun running. Hoping for 60mph all day long witb no problems.

60mph on that size hull should look sweet on the water. Hope your build will come with a nice fitting paint scheme to match the use of scale drives.

After any bugs get worked out plan on sending it to steve at the airbrush alley for paint. Thanks everyone for the compliments. Work has been busy but hope to get going this weekend.

Brent, this is going to be a beautiful boat. I was also looking at those M8's. It appeared to me that they were designed for gas applications. Did I miss something ? Did you get some kind of an adapter ? DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

They are designed for gas mainly because of the 1/4in prop shafts. It limits wbat props you can use for electric. I will be using custom cut 50mm from the propshop with 1/4 in hubs. Tbey also told me they should handle the rpm. Uncharted territory I know. Lol

Just wanted to say that that square end of flex shaft simply inserts into the drive which I will keep as short as possible to keep friction and vibration down. Tips of couplers will be about an inch away from the transom.

mbp sells steel props with 1/4" with 55mm and 61mm available.

A lot of guys over in germany use these on the bigger 70" boats they will be slower than 1.4 pitch but might work really nicely on this, figured I'd throw it out there.

http://mbp-rc.de/Rohlinge_1

Thanks for the info. I will defiantly check them out. Looking to keep escs and motors on the cool side and more choices on props helps. I think it could push mid 60s but would be more fun without the worries at 55.

i have been looking at these drives for a while now, wanted to build a twin skater cat but in gas. im interested to see how these hold up. i know their gears are somewhat weak in the electric started for gas, but they do seem to stand behind the products. looks good so far. you even got the colors i wanted. i know they are not cheap.

also i am sure you can have the output shafts turned down to 3/16 for more prop choices.

I do worry about the durability of the gears. I have pulled the lower end out to inspect the gears and they look very thick and well cut. One of the gas forums someone did a rockwell hardness test on them and tested well. I will be breaking them in under light load and changing oil afterwards. I will also be easy on the throttle. Instant throttle any drive is very hard on them. Again thanks for the good input.

Brent, I'm definately going to watch and wait to see how things work and hold up for you before I spend the monies...tks for being the crash test dummy on this one brother DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Hope they hold up. New products can be very cool and stink at the same.lol. I don't mind being the test dummy and at this price it might be really sick or really stink lol. Can't be successful without the chance failing.

Very nice, if they are rated up to 10 hp and you set it up to pull 180 amps per side you are basically at 10 horse on 10s. They look plenty strong though.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Hey everybody making some progress. Got tabs mounted and water pickups. Waiting for the ups guy for building supplies. Will post some more pics when I get more done. I need to order escs. Plan on swordfish 300 pros. Seen good and bad on them. Any input? Or should I work a little ot and get the mgms.

Parts coming in. Sorry for the delay will be mocking up mounts. Soon. These toys get expexpensive quick. Will be doing some mods on the drives I pulled them all the way apart and did not like what I saw on the gears. Will be sending them to a machine shop and having cnc cut the fronts off and milled to run direct drive like the werners. Won't be as cool but faster and more reliable.

More stuff. Zoom in on gears and notice the chips. May be nothing to worry about but I don't think I want to chance it with the money involved on this one. Hate to see her burn because of a jammed gear.

Did the drives feel smooth when you spun them by hand?

The one spun easy. The other one had a stiff spot. That's why I tore them apart to inspect them. I have a savage flux xl with the "bulletproof" shafts and diffs that still manage to fail and don't appear to have quality issues before they have even been ran "4hp". Mods on the lower units are only about 100 bucks. Will have the looks and function without the reliability issues. I also should note that the prop shaft will still spin on three bearings and will loose about 6 ounces a drive

My artists skills not so hot. This is the plan.

Tabs and outlets

Nice job man, looks great.

Talking

Thanks. Working on motor mounts and escs. Takes a while. Measure five times cut once

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast