Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New PB BJ-24!! Yeah Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by JackBlack26 View Post
    You can fix that yourself by adjusting the strut so it sits 2-3mm above the ride pads. That's for any cat that does that. They do that because the boat is trying to lift, hydroplane, but the prop is too low in the water.
    You sure? Why is it people remove the "hook" or warpage from the ride pads and it stops? Weird.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 11-17-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by DBJr View Post
    The prop appears to be approximately 1-5/8 inches in diameter. Basically the same as the BJ29 prop. The pitch I'm not sure of as I don't have any way to accurately measure it.

Ran the boat twice. Ran great on a 5100 mah 7 cell nimh pack. I admit it's rather old school but since I live in an apartment at the moment, I haven't made the switch to lipos yet but would love to in the future.

Since there is an electrical outlet right near the front door, I bet I could charge the pack there. That way if the pack exhibited some weird behavior, I could easily toss it outside before it self destructs.

My fiancee managed to get a video. I'll upload it in a bit.
    Your being waaaay to scary with the lipo bit. You should charge your cell phone outside too since it has a lithium battery too...lol. seriously, if you get a good charger, good batteries and a lipo charging sack, you'll be just fine. Stay away from the cheapie specials on lipos and chargers. Stick with reputable stuff. Do it! You'll be glad you did, there's no comparison in the power difference. The main failures come from over charging, shorting or over discharging the batteries.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Your being waaaay to scary with the lipo bit. You should charge your cell phone outside too since it has a lithium battery too...lol. seriously, if you get a good charger, good batteries and a lipo charging sack, you'll be just fine. Stay away from the cheapie specials on lipos and chargers. Stick with reputable stuff. Do it! You'll be glad you did, there's no comparison in the power difference. The main failures come from over charging, shorting or over discharging the batteries.
    Sounds good.

It's not that I'm afraid of Lipos - my two quadcopters use little 1S ones - I've only been in the boat hobby for about 2 years now and haven't upgraded yet but I plan to in the very near future.

I was thinking about trying the new Dynamite Reaction 50C lipos. Never heard of one puffing.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    You sure? Why is it people remove the "hook" or warpage from the ride pads and it stops? Weird.
    I'm positive. I've had 4 different variations of the MG hull, and I worked it all out with drive hardware adjustment. Weird.
    Not saying blue printing doesn't help, but it's hard to blueprint this ABS hull, which is what we are talking about. Or am I in the 29" boat thread?..........no, it's still the 24 ABS boat thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DBJr View Post

I was thinking about trying the new Dynamite Reaction 50C lipos. Never heard of one puffing.
    They have a 1 year warranty too. Don't change the connector and keep your receipt.

Got a lipo charger and Dynamite Reaction 5000mah 3S 50C lipo coming for Christmas. Good thing too because I somewhat melted the shrink wrap of the Nimh battery I had been using - motor and ESC were still cool to the touch though.

I just wonder how well the stock 30A ESC will stand up to a 3S lipo.

If something happens, I'll probably go with the Seaking 60A or 120A ESC.

Just in size alone, I wouldn't trust that ESC. the cooling block on my SK 120 is bigger than that ESC! haha

Quote Originally Posted by tjdabomb View Post
    Just in size alone, I wouldn't trust that ESC. the cooling block on my SK 120 is bigger than that ESC! haha
    I eventually plan to upgrade it to something more robust but for now it seems to work. I've now got several 3S lipo runs on this boat and the ESC hasn't skipped a beat. Gets a bit warm to the touch but nothing that I'd call hot. I'm even running a Prather B215 prop with no problems also.

I've noticed the 3S 50C lipo runs MUCH cooler than the Nimh ever did!!!

the nimh is complete junk. when i had my stock mg24, that battery would only push this boat 3 mph.

that's right, you read that correct, 3 mph. I swapped in a 2s 30c 5000mah in that stock setup, no other change and got 16 mph. I know, 16 mph isn't earth shattering but its a huge jump from 3 mph. the real fun happened when i grew tired of that brushed motor and went 4s1p. :) POOF went the motor after 30 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by tjdabomb View Post
    the nimh is complete junk. when i had my stock mg24, that battery would only push this boat 3 mph.

that's right, you read that correct, 3 mph. I swapped in a 2s 30c 5000mah in that stock setup, no other change and got 16 mph. I know, 16 mph isn't earth shattering but its a huge jump from 3 mph. the real fun happened when i grew tired of that brushed motor and went 4s1p. :) POOF went the motor after 30 feet.
    I bet that one sheared the brushes right down to the comm.

haha, it was smokin like a forest fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12