Thread: I wanna go fast!....Turnigy 2200 KO & MG29

Default I wanna go fast!....Turnigy 2200 KO & MG29

I had a blowover on my MG29 the first weekend I ran it and the crash cracked the tip of one sponson and the side of the hull. I received a new hull per warranty and decided to repair the one that was broken. I have purchased an Turnigy AquaStar 3974-2200KV for it and I am having mixed emotions regarding prop choice. I plan to run on 4S for driveability most of the time and 5S occasionally. I have seen warnings about not overpropping this motor so I need some help. I run a prather 220 on the stock MG29 replacement hull and it runs cool and fast. Any recommendations will help. I ordered an M645, but think it's way too big for that KV.

Quote Originally Posted by MOracer View Post
    I had a blowover on my MG29 the first weekend I ran it and the crash cracked the tip of one sponson and the side of the hull. I received a new hull per warranty and decided to repair the one that was broken. I have purchased an Turnigy AquaStar 3974-2200KV for it and I am having mixed emotions regarding prop choice. I plan to run on 4S for driveability most of the time and 5S occasionally. I have seen warnings about not overpropping this motor so I need some help. I run a prather 220 on the stock MG29 replacement hull and it runs cool and fast. Any recommendations will help. I ordered an M645, but think it's way too big for that KV.
    Why not try that 220 and check temps? If you want to be on the safe side perhaps a X442 or X642. If it takes the 642 reliably you could put the strut up a couple mm's and try the 645.

I'll do that. What does putting the strut up do?

It lifts the bow out of the water more. And lowering the strut lowers the bow. Ideally you want the boat to be planted evenly so that the bow doesn't hop. Play with the strut angle/position and dial it in. And these boats benefit a lot from having some weight in the bow, so I suggest using some 2 part expandable foam to weigh it down more. I did that to my BJ29 and it was glued to the water from there on. And whatever prop you choose, I would suggest keeping it conservative if you want to have fun with your boat and avoid frustration, but get it perfectly balanced and sharpened, and scratch it up as it reduces cavitation and adds more bite. I did that to my x447 props on my hpr and, with the same setup as before, went from 76 mph to 82 just by improving the props and using better grease/oil. Also I sharpened and polished the rudder which made a huge difference in stability and reduced drag.

Don't over prop..I have first hand experienced burning up that same motor on 4s with a 45mm..it's hard to try to get the smoke back in the motor after you let it out.!