Thread: water proofing esc question

Default water proofing esc question

Would like suggestion on how u all waterproof ur escs
    I use spray electrical tape and then use black electrical tape to rap it. Any other creative ideas would be appreciated. And your method. I've heard of epoxy dip it ext.
    Have a mystic29 that always has a little water aboat a o after every run from new about a 1/2 0z suspect flex shaft.
    Causing batteries and esc to be damp my reciver and servo have been waterproofed put shrink wrap on strutl o ring on water outlet all screws tight ect.

DP270 Confrmal coating.

The old days we would put a small piece of sponge under the flex stuffing tube to absorb the water dripped in at the flex.

I started using the aeromarine flex shaft seal on all my builds. Water up the shaft is a thing of the past.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Default water proofing esc.?

Quote Originally Posted by montymike View Post
    Would like suggestion on how u all waterproof ur escs
    I use spray electrical tape and then use black electrical tape to rap it. Any other creative ideas would be appreciated. And your method. I've heard of epoxy dip it ext.
    Have a mystic29 that always has a little water aboat a o after every run from new about a 1/2 0z suspect flex shaft.
    Causing batteries and esc to be damp my reciver and servo have been waterproofed put shrink wrap on strutl o ring on water outlet all screws tight ect.
    Hello I have been flying planes for over ten years , than I came across a guy who takes his esc. apart, removes the cooling plates and incases it in JB weld and the darn thing runs cool , so water proofing, I think so. It just seems foolish to buger up a new esc. Myself wanting to try a boat out on 3 cells to 4, just to see whats, what; I took a Hobby Wing 100amp. esc. out of one of my planes, unscrewed the for top screws, took a cooling plate with water inlets from a burnt out esc. placed it on top of circuitry, screwed the top "blue fined" plate down, and than "entombed" it in hot glue, and shrink tube. Hey it worked great, and yes there was water in the boat, HA HA I used hot glue so I didn't destroy the esc. Cleaned up the esc. back in plane and ordered a marine esc. So yes use J.B.weld.

I would imagine jb weld has some conductivity to it...it has bits if metal in it. I've been using 5 minute epoxy with good luck.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Cool

l picked up a 120A Suppo airplane ESC tthe other day. I popped the cooling fins off of it and replaced them with an a nice water cooling block, and some PC thermal paste on the FETs for heat transfer. I wrapped the ESC with HVAC Aluma tape and was able to pretty well seal it up. then I finished it off with 3-4 kotes of spray on plasti-kote. it turned out pretty damn good

Smile Ulgy But it works

I not making this up. Metal in jb weld?? hehe not in the calif. version. No it works perfectly fine no conductive issues .Epoxy will also work. I have pics of both my modified Hobby Wing and the JB weld insolated

new pic 003.jpg

ATTACH=CONFIG]121397[/ATTACH] new pic 005.jpg

my hobbywing esc conversion 007.jpg

new pic 003.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images