Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hv chargers.....what are my options?

Default hv chargers.....what are my options?

Eventually I'd like to take advantage of the hv batteries I have, so I'll need a charger that will go to 4.27v per cell. I don't need a real expensive one or one with more than one charge port. What's my choices?
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

How many cells? What sort of charge current do you require? What terminal voltages do you want? The Revolectrix powerlab chargers seem like obvious choices, but if you can make do with 4s or <5A or 4.25v, you can spend a fraction of what one costs.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    How many cells? What sort of charge current do you require? What terminal voltages do you want? The Revolectrix powerlab chargers seem like obvious choices, but if you can make do with 4s or <5A or 4.25v, you can spend a fraction of what one costs.
    Whoops...forgot to put that. For no...or quite a while the biggest pack I'll need to charge is 4s. Charger I have now only goes up to 6 amp. That's fine too but if I could get one with a couple more amps that would be great too. I would like to take advantage of the 4.27v they can be charged to....but it's not like 4.25 is that much less lol.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Revolectrix powerlab chargers, sure now your 4s. Next few years you will definalty be at least 6s or 8s. LOL that's just the way it works.

By far the best system out there in my opinion and not much more cost than the 10 to 15 amp systems instead of 40 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    Revolectrix powerlab chargers, sure now your 4s. Next few years you will definalty be at least 6s or 8s. LOL that's just the way it works.

By far the best system out there in my opinion and not much more cost than the 10 to 15 amp systems instead of 40 amps.
    ive been looking at those....just not sure which one to get. In a few years i may....not be in this hobby anymore or needing to buy another charger anyway because technology changes and you never know with these batteries...mine may become obsolete in 2 to 3 years...so im not trying to spend a wad of $$ on it :)

Powerlab 6 or 8.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

I am using an icharger 206b it does everything you require. I can charge 6s 5000mah packs at 7.5 amps 1.5c no problem. It is running on a single 12v power stubbly and has adjustable termination. I would also look at the 3010b or 306b. Both of their chargers do need 24 volts to run full wattage which is really the number we care about. I am currently using my own made power supply but will be picking up a couple from another supplier as I get into bigger batteries and chargers.

Power supply best value I've seen for ones you can run in series.
    www.2zo-rc.com

Icharger 206b review
    www.tjinguytech.com/reviews/icharger-206b

Sorry revo makes great chargers too my buddy has one they are just way out of my price range and my I charger does everything his power lab does. Honestly I think my icharger balances better but don't tell him that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdpb614 View Post
    I am using an icharger 206b it does everything you require. I can charge 6s 5000mah packs at 7.5 amps 1.5c no problem. It is running on a single 12v power stubbly and has adjustable termination. I would also look at the 3010b or 306b. Both of their chargers do need 24 volts to run full wattage which is really the number we care about. I am currently using my own made power supply but will be picking up a couple from another supplier as I get into bigger batteries and chargers.

Power supply best value I've seen for ones you can run in series.
    www.2zo-rc.com

Icharger 206b review
    www.tjinguytech.com/reviews/icharger-206b
    So the ending charge voltage is adjustable? how high will it go if so? This is the main thing i'm worried about and every charger i look at has no mention of this....

Here's a link to the manual which stated that it wil charge to 4.30v.

http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/iC206B_en.pdf

[QUOTE=Jdpb614;587464]Here's a link to the manual which stated that it wil charge to 4.30v.

So if I get this charger.....Q hat else do I need to make it work? I see no balance board....

What about the 106b+? I don't need to charge at over 7 amps. I don't race and I'm never in a hurry to get them charged. Bare bones is what I want.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 09-09-2014 at 01:08 PM.

A 12v 350watt or greater power supply and that's it. I can take some pics of my setup. A computer atx power supply works well.

What about the 106b +? Does it come with a balance board? I didn't see one in the pic

It has balance plugs on the side of the unit same as 206b. I would recommend at least a 206b. Trust me one day you will want to charge your 5000 mah bats at 2 or 3c. It worth the little extra dough!

You can see them in hk main photo.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FcRcMgodd00Alw

I'm kind of lucky and have value hobby.com local so I pick up from their warehouse. They also happen to be an authorized icharger dealer. I also use their gforce batteries and have been reasonably happy. After seeing your vids though I think I'm going to have to pick up some revo's and spc to try.

I'm kind of lucky and have value hobby.com local so I pick up from their warehouse. They also happen to be an authorized icharger dealer. I also use their gforce batteries and have been reasonably happy. After seeing your vids though I think I'm going to have to pick up some revo's and spc to try.
    I have 2 3s packs I just put for sale.....

I found a power supply here at work that puts out 41 amps....for free. Lol

It's not just about the amperage it's also how many watts on the 12v rail it supplies.

It's not just about the amperage it's also how many watts on the 12v rail it supplies.
    Will 492w do? That's what I have to start with.

Yes that will work. There are tons of write ups online how to do it. I will tell you the 25 watt 2 ohm resistor works best.

Yes that will work. There are tons of write ups online how to do it. I will tell you the 25 watt 2 ohm resistor works best.
    Resistors? For what? Don't I just need 12v? I figured our what's 12v out.....

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Resistors? For what? Don't I just need 12v? I figured our what's 12v out.....
    Computer power supplies are load dependent. Therefore a resistor is wired in to act as a load. I would suggest if you're going to mod a computer PSU, read up, be careful, and understand why things are done the way they are.
    Last edited by Rocstar; 09-09-2014 at 10:01 PM.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar View Post
    Computer power supplies are load dependent. Therefore a resistor is wired in to act as a load. I would suggest if you're going to mod a computer PSU, read up, be careful, and understand why things are done the way they are.
    Thanks and will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar View Post
    Thx! I actually fell asleep reading on it last night. One guy used the fan across the 5v side and that gave him the load instead of a resistor....I think that's the route I'll go.

Most of the fans have intelligent circuitry which allow variable speed based on heat and load. I would just use a resistor you can pick one up at a frys or radio shack. Like I said earlier 25watt 2 ohm seems to work best.

http://customers.swcp.com/~tandberg/...pplyATX_03.htm

Third post down link to more info than you could ever need.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446764

I was using a surecharge 2010 which is not a terrible charger. It could only charge my 2x3s 5000mah packs which I run in series at about 2.5-3 amps. I can now charge the same packs at 10 amps. I know you aren't concerened about time but when you can charge 4 3s packs as 2 6s packs in the same time it took you to charge 1 3s pack you'll want more. I can fully charge said 6s pack in about 25-30 minutes.

Are there any that charge above 4.3v per cell ?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

A little while back I got a reactor charger (20A)from HK. Not too bad a charger so far and I did discover that I can reset the end voltage on it and it does other stuffI haven't figured out yet. But... unfortunately one day my daughter (15) got sick of it beeping and decided to turn it off, by disconecting from the supply!!! Bugger bec. it fried the balance ports and now it will only read/balance 2s packs. I can still fast charge with it with and as long as I don't need the other balance ports it is ok. Just a bit annoying though! Interestingly I couldn't find it at HK today, it seems to have vanished from their store!?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I ended up getting an icharger. ...it charges much faster than my x4. I like it a lot so far. It discharges about 3 times as fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast