Thread: Please help a NOOB

Unhappy Please help a NOOB

I will start by saying hi, this is my first post on this forum! I recently got in to rc boating and bought two used boats. Boat one is a sv27 all stock, runs great, just flips a lot. So after getting my feet wet with that boat I decided it was time to "advance" to a slightly larger cat. I got my proboat mystic used once off a guy on cl who claims to be very familiar with rc boats. The boat is in great shape was told everything including the hull had one previous run with no problems. The boat has been heavily modified it has a 2075kv motor all aftermarket rudder and prop support with dual cooling pickups and exit's. I am told it has a 150 amp sky esc but i have not been able to find that brand around. The seller also included 2 hiMoto 2700mah 25c 40c burst 2s lipos. The problem is that the esc and battery's get very hot! The last attempt at running the boat I melted a deans plug.

Another note water is coming out of both cooling ports the esc has more water than the motor

1st run- about 3.5 mins in the boat quit still had steering. motor temp 90, esc 140, batteries 110- i figured it could be lipo cut from the small mah

2st run- driving harder because I was getting more comfortable with the boat overheat about 2mins in stop moving.. motor temp 93, esc 160, lipos hot (but not measured)

This is when I knew I had a problem, so after hours of research I ruled out my motor and prop the motor never gets warm and started looking at something I may have done. the only thing I have done to the boat is switch the plugs out for deans. I discover that I had accidentally used non electrical solder. So I went to radio shack and got silver solder. I cut my wires back cleaned and re solder making sure i didn't get a cold joint.

3rd run- about 2 minutes it stop moving again with same overheating issue

So next I charge up a set of eco power 30c 5000mah to try them

4th run- ran for about 5-6 mins in super choppy water no problems motor temp 100, esc 120, batteries warm but not bad.

5th run- clam lake again, with the eco batteries about 3-4 mins in running kinda hard my esc started making noise and lost all control. when i got it back the boat was full of electric smoke the motor was cool to the touch batteries and esc were very hot, so hot that it melted one of my deans.

after I got home I repaired the deans plug and the boat worked again. on the stand, I test ran it in my pool and the boat is gutless!! I pulled the motor and esc from my e-revo and put the boat stuff in it. the revo will not move under its own power but if you give it a push it will drive and its fast still. so i hooked the revo esc upto the boat motor and the revo drove great! no heat issues.

So what is wrong with my boat? my ideas
    a- crappy batteries (they run in my sv with no problem but this has a higher draw)
    b-crappy batteries and the burnt up my esc too
    c- something else??

sorry for the long post but I would rather include something not need than overlook a potential cause

thanks for your time,
    Andy

I was told that its the stock prop. witch should put extra load on the motor but I dont think that much?? the motor is again a generic it just has a 2075kv sticker on it, but when ran in my revo and normally runs a 2000kv. I didnt re gear it and the motor seemed fine. So I need a esc and batterys huh?

First off I would get rid of the deans and install 5.0-5.5mm bullet conectores on all components, batts, esc, and motor wires, the deans don't hold up with the voltage requirements your running, as you found out already.
    next I would get a better esc, I don't know much about the sky escs and would run a turnegy 120-180 depending on your voltage.
    Thats about all from me for now and I'm sure others will chime in.

Ya think it may be a Skywing ESC? As said above, go with larger connectors. Higher capacity batteries wouldn't hurt.
    Can you post pics of the boat. Particularly the insides, the back and the back side view? What prop are you running?
    You may want to invest in a cap bank as well.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

My honest plans for the boat is good 4s fast sport, when I feel I can handle more I also want to step up to a larger hull built by me, so I know everything about it. I plan to switch out for bullets and hopefully better battery's this week end. As for the esc I will look up a skywing when I get home. The esc has 2 cooling lines, 3 motor leads, 2 battery leads. The whole thing is shrink wrapped and epoxied on both side. I will snap pics when I get home. I think its the stock prop its plastic. I have 2 props for my sv a gr 42x55 and the stock 3 blade plastic witch is chewed up a little by the previous owner. I am also going to search a cap bank assuming its a capacitor bank? I think it popped atleast one of the caps on my esc already, I just dont want to open it up. I am trying to convince my self I dont have to buy a new esc for my new boat.

1) batteries. No matter what, never run lower than a 50c pack in a boat. I do not care about burst ratings...meaningless. regular c rating...50 or above.

2) connectors. Dean...no no in a boat. Ec5 in lower amp draw applications...5.5mm or up and bullets on higher amp setups. Higher kv is g ing to draw more amps (generally speaking)

3) prop....it's probably too much prop for that high kv motor. That boat likely came with a 1800kv or lower motor

Your lipos getting hot is a dead giveaway that they aren't up to the task and the deans plugs isn't cutting it. If the boat was all stock....maybe...I melted the solder on a Deans plug on an all stock impulse 31 besides a little more prop than stock.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Default More Pictures

That is a Suppo ESC. 150 amp and up to 6s. They are OK, cheapy ESC. I have one here that lived through a dunking in my Miss Bud hydro.

Deans have got to go and I would consider 5000 mah batteries a minimum.
    Having not enough amperage to back up the draw from motor is quite hard on the ESC. Capacitors help but only mask a problem.
    This is all in an 'IDEAL' world anyway. Just thought a short explanation would help.

In regards to the ESC overheating:
    I see that water pickup hanging off the back of the boat, it looks like it is above the ride surface of the boat. That looks to be the one feeding the ESC , or not feeding the ESC when the boat is on plane. Try running the water line from the rudder to the ESC, then to the motor, then out of the hull. Just skip the second intake hanging off the back. Try and see the results, separate lines are not necessary here.

Shawn
    Last edited by srislash; 09-09-2014 at 11:29 PM.

I forgot to say...Welcome to the forum. The above are all good suggestions.
    This looks like the ESC... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...kyWing-ESC-mod
    The motor looks pretty generic. Does it have holes in the end caps?

Now the pic of the strut has spoken...I don't see a gap between the drive dog and the strut. You will need about 3/16" for flex cable wind up. The guys will chime in with their recommendations.
    Try that first. It won't cost you anything but time.
    Government Moto:

I can for sure see water coming from both the exits, alot of water, but I will change it over to single again to try it after i get new batterys and switch over to bullets. I did have a gap between the strut, i just put all the parts back in the boat loosely so I could show my setup. I am pretty sure its a crappy motor its completely sealed, but I dont think its the problem cause it runs fine in my revo dosen't even get warm motor or esc. I looked up skywing and my esc looks similar but mine is epoxied on the ends. I will research on that suppo esc later today and see whats up. Thank you guys for all the help!!

The epoxy looks like it was done by the end user.
    Government Moto:

I want to cut the shrink rap. Do you think it will seal up again? I want to see if I kill a capacitor. I could solder another on?

You will need some new shrink wrap. The LHS should have some

Okay so I have switch out my battery's for 50c 5000mah 2s
    I have switched to 5.5 bullets everywhere.
    I ran the boat still "breaks down"
    Then I pulled the prop and got a number off of it prb0152. I looked it up and it's a pretty large prop. So I just ran it today with a stock sv27 plastic prop and it did worse. It will stall out. Now it doesn't really overheat. Just stops moving steering still works and if I let it float in the water for a bit I can drive it again.
    What's my next move? What should I check next?

Default Please help a NOOB

Esc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

That's what I was thinking.. I just cut the heat wrap off mine all the caps look nice nothing smells burnt looks burnt? I just don't want to buy a new esc if I am not sure, but it all that's really left?

You bought batteries you didn't need to. Why not try an esc...

There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Reading your posts in which you say esc made noise then went out of control, then there was smoke, then the thing over heated a couple of times, it's perplexing to me nobody has pointed out the esc may be junk "shrug"

I can justify battery's easyier. I used to race dirt and u can never have to many battery's. I think I am going to start looking for a good esc. Maybe a combo with a motor depending on the price. If that doesn't work I guess I am not cut out for sea.. I had a trex450p that I could fly upside down and fix when it came down. I don't think I will buy a used modifyed boat again. Unless they are a reputable member on a forum. I tried contacting the guy I got it from he was rude and told me to stop bugging him. I was pissed.

My problem has changed. My battery's helped! But it did over heat a bunch of times.

Okay guy, it's fixed! Got a sf120 and now she runs like a dream! Lesson learned don't try battery's under rated. I think it fried the esc.

Now what you could use is an upgraded break away rudder bracket from Kintec!
    Go hear to claim one....at absolutely NO cost to you! :)
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...the-OSE-tree-3

Merry Christmas!!

Quote Originally Posted by andygoesfast View Post
    Okay guy, it's fixed! Got a sf120 and now she runs like a dream! Lesson learned don't try battery's under rated. I think it fried the esc.
    This is NOT a toy?!?

Thanks for the offer! I have all aftermarket stuff already and I don't think it will work. I will pass and save it for someone that is sure they can use it.