Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Powerlab 8 vs Icharger 4010 Duo

Only happens when you balance across packs. I Just charge everything as a single now and the problem goes away but holy crap was that an expensive learn.
    Noisy person

Either way, in parallel the voltage is the same across all 4 cells while connected. If the packs are in decent shape, all goes smoothly, if one cell is bad, that whole set of 4 will take a long time to get up to voltage if at all because that cell is holding all 4 back, and you know there is a problem. This is why I also charge all individually on occaisions so I can see what packs are still ok for me to charge in parallel. I do not discuss parallel charging much, because there is a lot of room for error and I don't want to see anybody else have issues, that being said I have been doing it for several years and with a little awareness and due diligence I have never had issue. I don't run boats anymore really, but I now charge (6) 4s/1500mah on each side all year for fpv racing, when something is out of whack, the balancing process takes a little longer. I identify the pack causing it and remove it from this type of service.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
    parallel balance harness on each set of 4.
    And how does the charger recognize each pack or it doesn't and just maintains the correct voltage per cell ?

It does not recognize them individually, it brings them all up together, hence some precaution and awareness need be taken. Its the same concept as connecting packs in paralell in a boat, if one pack fails it will take the other down too. Sorry guys , too much going on to get into this now.

It doesn't see the other cells and thats why parallel charging is dangerous. Most have been lucky up to now but a parallel board can't monitor all the cells it's plugged into. If you get a bad cell the other packs will hide it. Most guy's I see are using it for their 1s packs or 1300 quad packs but they can all fail, so parallel boards are not recommended. If you know all the packs are good and no cells are off then parallel boards work. But only then.

Mark

I'm feeling better about my pile of chargers now. Thanks Mark.
    Noisy person

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12