Thread: UL-1 Strut assembly

Default UL-1 Strut assembly

Hey guys I have a question. I am trying to get the best speed performance from my UL-1. I think they manufactured the strut and brass tube incorrectly. The brass tube runs straight in and through to the tail end of the strut. Is this normal? I bought an upgraded strut bushing and can't install it and also can't adjust the angle and depth of the strut. What do I do and do I need to cut the brass tube? Sorry for the newbe questions. Any help and or diagrams greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

The brass tube is correct. The factory brass stuffing tube is some odd size. It's like A fraction different than standard 1/4 inch. Just take some 400 grit sandpaper and sand the new bushing till it slides in. The angle can't really be changed, but seems ok from factory in my experience. You can mod stuff if you want to tho.
    Some guys cut stuff up to change angles and whatnot, but mine always ran ok without going that far. You can move strut up a bit if needed. Might take a little muscle tho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

I have never been this wrong and therefore I deleted my post.
    OP, please ignore my post if you get e mail notification.
    The only thing I can say is that my bushing wasn't floating and I had to pull it out with a plier and get a new one.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    I have never been this wrong and therefore I deleted my post.
    OP, please ignore my post if you get e mail notification.
    The only thing I can say is that my bushing wasn't floating and I had to pull it out with a plier and get a new one.
    i must have missed something? lol
    i know I've had the bushings really tight before, but if i could ever move it slightly by hand, i would just run it. after a run or two it would slide around in there without a problem. just my experience tho -)
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Well, you didn't miss a thing. lol...
    Apology to the OP, I am going off a bit to explain:
    Here was the mistake:
    Luck, your Mean Machine was bad a$$, man, it was an inspiration for my MM build! But, I made an honest mistake when I mated the stuffing tube to the strut, instead of running the tube all the way thru the strut, I only inserted 1/4", maybe even less, I then used a short tube with thread lock to secure inside the rest of the strut. In the end all is well and the way I did it actually enabled me to angle the strut just a tiny bid either way. I used heat shrink to seal the joint so there is no water issue.
    So now every time I read a similar question, I always thought the stuffing tube should not run thru the strut without realizing that I was the only one ( or may be among a few) who configures differently.
    I deleted it because I would have confused the OP to no end and perhaps you as well.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Ahh ok. Your method works too man
    On my Titan I had mated two pieces of brass using shrink wrap to allow for adjustment of the stinger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a couple different ways to do it, but I had just left my ul1 alone, because really, it ran nicely the way it was, and anything over 50mph, the boat was unstable because of design, not strut angle etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could have been more accurate with my first post, as stuff can be changed. I just kinda feel like the factory was fine for what the boat is designed to do, and trying to change those things are just a battle against a limited hull design. That's all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how did You achieve 50 mph. I am running a L40 x 57 sharpened and balanced 3 blade Grim Racer prop. Also 5000mah 30 C Bats and upgraded flex shaft.

Thanks for your help guys.