Thread: battery comparison....

Default battery comparison....

I just felt like doing a real world back to back test on a few different batteries just to get an idea of the actual speed difference. Nothing super technical, very bare bones. Basically charge the batteries and throw them in my boat, gps them. Pretty simple. I tried to keep the distance as close to the same as possible. I have more testing to do as I was only able to do two sets back to back of the same voltage. I'll post my findings from a previous test also because I feel like it's relevant.

Today:
    1) spc 6500 65c 6s 80.3mph
    2) maxx amp 5450 true 120c 78.3mph....I did not expect this. At all. These are some very expensive batteries. They have about 5 cycles on them, loaned to me from a friend. I felt bad they went that much slower I decided to make a backup pass. 79.0mph...still slower.

I did not test the revolectrix in 6s format, but in 7s format the boat went a blistering 94.6mph. The most I've picked up beforehand going from 6s to 7s was about 6mph...so if I had to guess, the revolectrix was about 7mph faster. I will do a test to back this up, but my last pass on 7s before the revolectrix was 87.3mph. I did shorten the rudder a 1/4" and believe that may be worth a mph or so.

A few weeks ago I tested some venom 5000 50c against the spc 6500 65c and the venom went 73.1mph and the spc went 74.6mph on a back to back comparison. Next test will be the spc vs revolectrix back to back.

Note: the revolectrix were charged to the same 4.20v as the other batteries, all charged on the same charger. I'm in no way trying to fudge this in any batteries favor. I also invited one of the top names in batteries to send me a pair of batteries to test, he declined. If anyone has a pair of 3s packs you want to send just for kicks, you pay shipping to me, I'll pay shipping back and we can find out who's boss as far as lipos go! Lol
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Max amps should push 654 amps, SPC should push 423......

Maybe max amps are max duds
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    Max amps should push 654 amps, SPC should push 423......

Maybe max amps are max duds
    Yea man I dunno. I was not expecting that for sure. I was actually going to do some trading with my buddy for the Maxx amp batts....but I guess I'm not now. I'm switching over to revolectrix. ...all my other packs will be for sale soon!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Very cool man, thanks for sharing!!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

If i have time I'll run all 4 sets of batteries back to back. I have venom, spc, maxx amp and revolectrix. The bad thing is none of them are the same mah or c rating....however, just because it's rated higher does not mean in the real world its faster. Like so far the expensive maxx amps batteries did the worst. Then the venom....which happens to be the next most expensive battery and then the two cheaper name brands trounced the expensive packs. Now as fat as longevity....that's to be seen but I've had the venom for over a year and they still balance perfect and work perfect. I have had a few venom failures but they were replaced under warranty. Out of this pair of 3s packs, I had one fail early on. A connection went bad and I fixed it....I did get a replacement tho.

Max amps are well known around here for being rubbish. Kinda old news there. Then again, many of the forum members from a couple years back that are aware of
    Maxcrap don't post much here anymore, but nevertheless, max amps DO NOT have a good reputation.
    The revo batteries seem to be the best going rite now from what I can tell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

A friend of mine had a jae rigger running 3674 2200kv. I forget what packs he had but they were "affordable". They performed ok, but he was convinced he would be better off with max amps, despite my warnings.
    Well he got one. First run out, he ran it moderately, not beating it or anything. Brought it in, and the battery looked like a balloon. Also, the battery wires got so hot the bullets fused together. Pliers could not get them apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

great thread, who is revolectrix? might get a couple for my truck

Quote Originally Posted by robw View Post
    great thread, who is revolectrix? might get a couple for my truck
    I'm not sure how new they are but they are starting to get well known.... www.store.revolectrix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Max amps are well known around here for being rubbish. Kinda old news there. Then again, many of the forum members from a couple years back that are aware of
    Maxcrap don't post much here anymore, but nevertheless, max amps DO NOT have a good reputation.
    The revo batteries seem to be the best going rite now from what I can tell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I had no idea. I just thought they were being used by people with more money than they know what to do with. I mean this pair of batteries in my possession are $304 for the pair....and my buddy swears by then and told me they would trounce my spc packs. Well I decided to test them. I was really expecting them to blow my spc packs away....I mean they should right? 120c....the price....how do they stay in business selling such an under performing battery at an outrageous price? I think they are even behind my old venom packs. I'm going to give them another chance. Maybe because I charged them the night before and everything else got charged right before had something to do with it? I'm charging all four sets right now and will be headed back this evening when it cools off outside. What do you guys think.....make three passes with each set? Gimme some feed back on how I should do it....

Travis, are all their ( Revo) batteries made from the same so-called HV chemistry? Meaning I just checked their web and there are different C ratings, curious as to they are the same formula but only with different C rating???
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I'll be watching to see the results.
    I try to do as many passes as possible to get accurate gps readings.

any chance of testing the thunder power range< I have 2 of these, wondered how they compare

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Travis, are all their ( Revo) batteries made from the same so-called HV chemistry? Meaning I just checked their web and there are different C ratings, curious as to they are the same formula but only with different C rating???
    If I'm not mistaken, the silver series are the hv ones.

Quote Originally Posted by robw View Post
    any chance of testing the thunder power range< I have 2 of these, wondered how they compare
    I don't have any thunder power batteries. I'm testing what I have and what anyone sends me. I don't have the $$ to buy a bunch of different batteries to test...I wish I did. If you want to send me a pair of 3s packs, I'll be glad to test them, I'll pay for shipping back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I don't have any thunder power batteries. I'm testing what I have and what anyone sends me. I don't have the $$ to buy a bunch of different batteries to test...I wish I did. If you want to send me a pair of 3s packs, I'll be glad to test them, I'll pay for shipping back to you.
    bit too far to ship from the uk, wouldn't expect you to pay that amount either.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Revolectrix have been around for quite a while. Since around 2005 I think. Travis is right the Silver series are the HV batteries. The Diamond series are the normal 60C rated packs that have quite a good name amongst the flyboys. I haven't tried the diamond series yet. Not sure how many boaters use them.

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...ies-XH-equpped

Cheers.
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Revolectrix have been around for quite a while. Since around 2005 I think. Travis is right the Silver series are the HV batteries. The Diamond series are the normal 60C rated packs that have quite a good name amongst the flyboys. I haven't tried the diamond series yet. Not sure how many boaters use them.

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...ies-XH-equpped

Cheers.
    Paul.
    Paul, thanks as always!
    Cheers!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I have some new info. I tried to do this back to back test as good as I could...however I had a few issues. I'll narrate....all runs were 6s (2) 3s packs) just charged up today.

1st packs: nothing changed from runs yesterday. Venom 5000 50c 1st pass 79.2mph 2nd pass 79.5mph...note..the venom do not seem to fade as much as the other packs. That's a good feature for sure.

Next up. Max amps 5450 120c first pass and second passes were in the 75mph range. I felt like something was wrong. The the spc in and they were down from yesterday. Problem: I messed with steering trim on the way out with the Maxx amps. I centered it back, mph came back...good find! I put the Maxx amps back in for another go.... So max amp was 77.9mph on the third run. I'm gone to have to redo this possibly but you could go with the above pass from yesterday which was 79.0....still pretty poor for such a high dollar pack.

Spc...these batteries are down right impressive for thier price. To be honest, why by anything but these or the revolectrix? On the second pass (rudder remember) they did 81.3mph....stellar!

And last but not least, revolectrix 5500 70c
    On the first attempted pass I flipped the boat. I squeezed the trigger a little too fast and she flew! I heard something come loose when she hut the water. My heart sank. Testing was over for the day I thought. Well I got her in after a while (my recovery is pretty slow lol) and it was just my gps I heard come in velcroed. Whew! So put it back in place sent her back out....83.2mph second successful pass and backed it up with an 82.1 not too bad on 6s! Me and my kiddo had fun. I made quite a few passes. Nothing got hot. She took a lickin and keep on tickin! Videos posted later tonight.....

Max amps didn't get the nickname for nothing.
    People were finding cheaper cells were giving higher speeds. And although, speed wasn't everything to some guys , the Max amps seemed to get hotter quicker. So runtimes were shortened also. At least from what I gathered. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Venom battery test

Maxx amps test

Last edited by kfxguy; 09-08-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Reserved

Revolectrix test

Last edited by kfxguy; 09-08-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Charge them up to their full voltage of 4.27/cell & hang on tight.

Love the videos man !
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Love the videos man !
    Thanks! I try to bring a little entertainment to the forum. My son thinks he's funny too lol

Here's the Last video.....the spc batteries. Was having technical difficulties uploading it. These batteries are awesome!

guess it will outrun those gators
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    guess it will outrun those gators
    I think so....