Thread: Can Someone Explain This Propeller

Default Can Someone Explain This Propeller

Hi Guys,
    I picked up a second hand Motley Crew That has a couple of upgrades done to it. It's got the 2030kv motor from the UL-1 and an "upgraded" flex tube and drive cable. The water jacket is a leopard, it's running the stock ESC and had a spektrum 2 channel radio put in it.

The propeller that came with it is a outcra x447 with some crazy modification done to the blade tips that I don't understand and can't seem to find any information about. The PO claimed that on 40C packs it would do 50+mph with this propeller.

The drive strut was set up so that it was 3/16" below the top of the 2 transom brackets on it. It would drive the bow in so hard I'm not sure how it got 30mph out of it.

I'm running a OSE 4514 CNC propeller right now that the boat seems to really like. It has a little more pitch than a X/M445 and the tongue is between the X and M
    IMG_0997.jpgIMG_0998.jpg

Looks like it has the "hit something" mod
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

A mod guaranteed to lose speed! Most who have tried the UL-1 motor in this boat found it a bit too much. Mine runs close to 50mph with an x545 with the 1800 Kv motor with reasonable amp draw. The 2030 Kv motor is probably better off with the lower-pitched 42mm and 45mm props..
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

There were no impact marks on the propeller and the bends seem to be symmetrical. Is there any repairing it to make a useable prop out of it?

It's fast all right. Right now I have the bottom of the strut 1/16" above the bottom of the hulls and today it caught a gust and flew on me, right over backwards. It's amazing how slow it appears to happen, and how quickly the speed bleeds off once airborne.

Well maybe they tried to cup it but looks to me it's cupped the wrong way. If it driving the bow down hard, it's creating alot of lift....which in this situation isn't a good thing. It just looks backwards to me. Maybe it's just the pic.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

The bends are raked backwards, consistent with an impact but there is no impact damage. Are there any propeller tuners that I could send the prop to and see if they can turn it into something useful?

The first time I ran the boat with this prop it was pushing the bow down hard. It would actually bow up coasting as it slowed down.

Prop hit something looks like a OSE prop !

Is that how the ose balanced and sharpened props come?

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Driver View Post
    your not serious are you ? You have a marine back ground everyone told you you hit something I got to go to bed before I get in trouble !!

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Well maybe they tried to cup it but looks to me it's cupped the wrong way. If it driving the bow down hard, it's creating alot of lift....which in this situation isn't a good thing. It just looks backwards to me. Maybe it's just the pic.
    Yes! ( cupped the opposite way to me as well)
    Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    Prop hit something looks like a OSE prop !
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Driver View Post
    NO!!!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

LOL sometimes you can get more RPM out of you motor and losen up the prop by bending the tips back but never to that extreme, also the prop in the pic has the whole leading edge distorted and bent back there are soft things in the water that can do that damage and not leave scars like fish and sticks ect

Yea I thought the prop had that "hit something" mod. Op, if the thing it turning 30k rpm and hits something...chances are both blades will get bent the same.

Here is one that was modified by the rudder.

S5000209.JPG
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I was referring to the ose props having a rounded blade tip not a pointed tip like a cleaver prop. If its impact damage that's a different factor.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Here is one that was modified by the rudder.

S5000209.JPG
    did you fix it ? looks fixable

If you bend it back that far chances are it will break the tips off, unless reheat treat it. Not worth blowing up your drive line, motor or ESC.
    Trash can it!!

Sorry, I keep looking at that prop and id put money on it that it hit something. The tips are bent the wrong way to be an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    did you fix it ? looks fixable
    Yes, I fixed it.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12