Thread: ProBoat Dont Float

Unhappy ProBoat Dont Float

I write this on sad heart felt news that my new impulse sank and was not able to be recovered. It was my 4th run with the new boat and I was happy. After the initial couple of runs I decided I liked the new boat and that she was a keeper so she went into the shop and got the treatment, new OSE flex cable and HD coupler, S&B prop, Jordan turn fins which worked great, adjustable trim tabs, new set of 2s lipos and new set of 3s lipos, all connector switched over to HD everything realigned, balanced and trimmed. So on the infamous day I was doing some runs to see how the boat was handling and she worked great except for a little bouncy, not a big deal just needed some tuning. I had slowed down and was coming back past the dock so I gave it some throttle she gave a little jump hit her own wake from before and did submarine about 4 to 5 inch under water, but I only put one piece of tape across the hatch because I was only running 2s lipo to just tune up the boat and check temps, the boat hatch came off and the boat went down in matter of seconds ! People on the Pier couldn't believe what they just saw, once we saw what was happening to are surprise we ran down the pier, the beach and the dock and everyone dove in but no luck the water is about 15 to 20 feet there on a self next to a channel. So this weekend now 3 days later, I had a diver who I know go down with no luck he said it was rough water last couple of days at night and it most likely got pulled with the current and is now deep 30 ft. He felt bad and did not charge me.
    I was informed from Horizon that with out the boat they can not do anything. Then I was informed about the fact of If you get enough water in the boat yes they will sink, Oh my I said, what is enough ? and I was told there have been no problems with impules31v2 sinking, maybe they need to look at you tube( proboat impulse sinks lol) my boat did the same thing.
    Maybe you guys can help understand this sinking because I am confused. this is not my first time boating and have had everything happen on the water except my r/c boats sinking.

Brian

Sorry to hear about your boat. I always stuff pool noodles in my boats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

If I had had any idea that this boat does not float I would foamed it my self like all the other race boats my 48 nitro mono hull , 2 Spartan, sea planes, etc. We have not had any sinking problem with the Spartans sinking, those are the boys boats and they flip all the time sometime the hatches will come off on a high speed crash, They float.

Yeah unfortunately it doesn't float without the hatch or some floatation.
    There are plenty of other boats like that.

There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Man that stinks, unfortunately all boats sink without flotation or a sealed air compartment.

I had one not long ago. When I saw that tiny bit of foam in it, I laughed and then filled it with two part foam.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

So sorry to hear that, it is a painful experience some of us unfortunately all share, I lost a hatch some years ago on a FasTec, in those days I also was negligent with taping, the boat was recovered but nonetheless it was a lesson learned.

Tape, tape , and tape or,
    Travis hatch lock.....
    Floatation of course too!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Pool noodles work! Sucks on your part though...
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Bet you will tape the hatch fully next time.

What bothers me about the impulse sinking is there is no mention that if the boat gets to much water inside it will sink ! My belief is with a ready to run boat should a ready to run boat and not a ready to sink boat. I did notice on horizons web site in the Q&A section the responses say it will not sink, I do understand those statements are not horizons and they have a disclaimer at the bottom of the page but if horizon did not agree to the statements they should have been removed or are the statements in agreement with horizon belief that the boat will float? Primary floatation is within the boat the foam that is in the bow, the hatch cover is secondary seal to keep water out, any boat should be able to float and not sink with water in the hull. Maybe I am totally wrong or did something go wrong in the R&D or manufacturing of this run of boats. I would like any input from impulse owners, and do I get another impulse ? How to keep your impulse afloat and not end up inside of Davey Jones locker.

Brian

To get another impulse you

A. Get it from the bottom and send it back

B. Purchase a new one

How to keep your boat afloat has already been covered in this thread, but once again, pool noodles work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aworks View Post
    What bothers me about the impulse sinking is there is no mention that if the boat gets to much water inside it will sink ! My belief is with a ready to run boat should a ready to run boat and not a ready to sink boat. I did notice on horizons web site in the Q&A section the responses say it will not sink, I do understand those statements are not horizons and they have a disclaimer at the bottom of the page but if horizon did not agree to the statements they should have been removed or are the statements in agreement with horizon belief that the boat will float? Primary floatation is within the boat the foam that is in the bow, the hatch cover is secondary seal to keep water out, any boat should be able to float and not sink with water in the hull. Maybe I am totally wrong or did something go wrong in the R&D or manufacturing of this run of boats. I would like any input from impulse owners, and do I get another impulse ? How to keep your impulse afloat and not end up inside of Davey Jones locker.

Brian
    Personally I like the impulse. If you like it, get another one...but...I suggest very highly to order a $10 kit of two part foam from kintec. Experiment with it first. Pour yourself two small buy even amounts of it. Mix for 20 seconds and pour it into something like a small box or old Tupperware container. Pay attention today how much it expands. Then take what you learned and pour it in your boat.. watch it expand. I'd want about twice the amount it comes with.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I wish it were that easy
    1) diver cant get boat.
    2) I cant purchase another because now Horizon is backorder on the impulse for some reason.
    3) I will generally use a two part foam in my boats.
    I don't need to know how to make boats float, I just wanted to know what impulse owners have experienced with the newer impulses.

Brian

Thanks Kfxguy I agreed with you completely and nice tip on the foam.

Pm'd you

If I may... I've used the 2-Part foam in a lot of boats, but there are cautions you need to be aware of...

In the heat, the foam tends contract. In my "IM31 Race Prep" thread(s), I think I advocated it's use up along the sides of the hull in the nose, and also on top of the factory installed foam block to help prevent the deck from compressing down and popping the hatch in a hard flip.

While I still think this is a good idea, you need to be aware of the amount of it you are installing. I've had it actually "suck-in" the sides of the front of one of my IM31's when I took it from Washington State to California and back... I don't know if it was the heat, or the altitude over the passes, but something caused it to contract, which sucked down the deck and the sides, making them concave surfaces.

Also, if you cut the surface of the 2-Part once it's cured, it WILL absorb water.

I'm not saying don't use it, just uses it cautiously.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

That has certainly happened to my DF 26. It is quite heat sensitive and I notice the deck gets sucked in every time when it is under the sun. I worry about the hull but there is nothing I can do at this point. I don't know the brand/origin of the 2-part form as I dd not build the boat.
    The 2-part form from Kintec seems to fair better, I have only used it in my MG and it doesn't do that.
    I am not trying to contradict what Darin is saying but rather would like an answer for myself from people who have used these extensively: are there differences between different makers? And if so, which ones are to avoid?
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I've had to do some minor repairs on two boat that were foamed. I hate that crap with a passion!
    Pool noodles with a couple blobs of Gorilla Glue to hold it in place is all I will use after those two horrible experiences.
    One boat it must have absorbed a ton of water, had to do a major reset of the CG after it was all removed. Wondered for a while as I couldn't understand with the motor as close to the stern as possible why I had to have the batteries that far back as well. Is only a 29" boat.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I too learned that lesson the hard way and it stinks no matter how you slice it. But with the boat being modified by adding adjustable trim tabs and turn fins, You have to consider how much more weight that added to the transom. This may have changed the "weight to buoyancy" ratio.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .