Thread: Flex cable length : Is this normal???

Default Flex cable length : Is this normal???

I recently purchased an OSE flex cable for my Lucas Oil. AFter installing the cable and pushing it into the motor collett as far as it can go in, I have a huge gap of around 14-15mm between the drive dog and strut bushing. There's also quite a bit of free play between the prop shaft and the strut bushing which I figure would either lead to premature bushing and shaft wear at best, and/or catastrophic failure due to severe vibrations because of the excess free play between shaft and bushing. Please advise me what is normal for Aquacraft as I have not seen this type of free play between the shaft and bushing in my ProBoat Miss Geico even after dozens of runs.

The OSE wbsite says that the Lucas Oil flex cable length is around 14.80inches tip-tip, but when I measured the flex cable sent to me, its around 15.5inches. I have contacted OSE via email and I'm waiting for their response.

20140905_104058.jpg20140905_104212.jpg20140905_120156.jpg

Default Flex cable length : Is this normal???

Def too much gap. Just cut it down with a dremel.
    A good gap is about the same thickness as the cable.
    I go with 3/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Hey Luck,

I am not a technical person and I prefer not to cut anything as I do not have a dremel or similar cutting tool, besides I would lose the soldered tip and the cable will flay when trying to refit into the motor collett.

Hopefully a new cable with the correct length can be sent to me.

Got in contact with Steve from OSE. Great guy to deal with. No new cable but I got a refund which I will use to offset the cost of a new dremel.

no problem when you cut off the soldered tip
    done it many times before,just round off the cut-off part so in enters the collet smoothly
    so far ,never had a flex unwind