Thread: New Custom Spartan V-Hull

Default New Custom Spartan V-Hull

I am building a custom Spartan and right now I still have it running on 6s (2x 3s batteries) with a leopard motor and seeking 180A ESC. I am wanting to upgrade the batteries and I think I read that the good modders are running 2x 6s in series. Is there anyone here with experience that can help and make recommendations? I am not sure exactly how to wire this setup correctly and I could use some advice on which batteries.

also. what would you guys rec are the top of the line batteries for both sizes... 3s and 6s for the Traxxas Spartan... cost is not a factor.

Someone please help!! Thanks

I assume you mean running the 6S in parallel, not series.....

I'm not trying to be negative so please forgive me, but when I started out with RC boating I had 2 Spartans, one custom and one stock. The problem with the Spartan Hull is that Traxxas placed everything pre determined for "Their" set up meaning that there is not much room if any to manuever electronics around to balance the boat/CG. What you will experience is that the weight from the batteries and larger motor will weigh the back of the boat down tremendously which will make it ride nose high and around 55 mph will cause it to want to come out the water totally disrupting the attitude of the boat. The trim tabs are too small for an after market set up ( I had custom ones made and it only helped a little ) and the stinger on the back will not have enough adjustability to set ride and attitude of the boat. I only had 2 3's in there that weighed 14.5 oz's/ piece and your talking about running 2 6s's? The moral of this story is you will most likely put a lot of money into a project that is doomed from the start. There is a reason you don't see Spartan Hull's hopped up, they just are not capable of anything stable over 55-60mph. If you plan on going slower than 55mph go for it and have a ball. I don't know your financial situation and neither is that my business. All I am trying to do is assist you with insight on this hull and if your budget is like mine right now, save you some money to be put into something gratifying. If you want some more insight on what I experienced with mine to help you out give me a shout out and I will be more than glad to share my experience (I sold both of them and started building boats ). Hopefully I can help you build a killer Spartan or prevent you from wasting money. Either way, I hope you have fun and most importantly enjoy what your doing!
    Lot Boyz Racing and Marine Team...Get Hype!
    CF Shocker Twin - 93.4mph / CF Daytona Single - 80.2mph
    FG Shocker Single - 98.3mph / Miss Geico 24" Single - 72.3mph

I put money in mine... Wish had not! now it sits at home!

I love my Spartan but I have now upgraded to a faster boat. But the Spartan currently is more reliable. I wouldn’t put much money in the boat for more than batteries and maybe an aftermarket prop. Hope this helps!
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

Default New Custom Spartan V-Hull

I had a love/hate relationship with mine... I sold it. Glad I did. In the end I got it reliable and fun, that's what counts. Don't sink money in this boat. Somehow I did, wish I would have listened...
    All you really need to do ask to get this reliable, I have my key. lol
    If cost is not a factor then I suggest you get a larger hull with some serious power. I had someone build me a boat, but don't get me wrong the Spartan was an great beginner but can discourage you after 3 speed controls get smoked. How many did I go through again???? lol
    Take a look at this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
    Now find someone on this forum to do a few things to it then you will have a fun boat, I have seen one in real life and they are fun but can be quick in the straights.

I'm Gone.
    Here is my setup before I sold:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    If you want the boat to stay in the water, get two 5cell lipos. MAKE SURE YOU WIRE THEM IN PARALLEL, unless you want to catch the boat on fire...

My setup before I sold:
    2 5cell lipos
    Quad tabs (and adjusters)
    Sticker ESC and motor
    Castle 6.5mmPolarized (green)
    10G wire on ESC
    OSE tow hook
    OSE HD flex kit
    P220 S/B by OSE
    Kintec 5" Rudder
    Telemetry (watch voltage/temp!)
    Last edited by Spartanator; 09-08-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Yes you can run 2 x 6S batteries using a parallel wiring harness. (Spartan come from factory with a series wiring harness on the ESC)

The weight of the batteries can be a consideration. I ran a 2 x5S parallel setup. The long battery trays in the Spartan do allow for a variety of battery positions to help adjust the attitude of the boat.

I too have sold my Spartans. They were a lot of fun, but it took a lot of experimentation and mods to get a reliable setup.

Read the forums, most of the problems have been sorted out and you can benefit from the past experience of others.

Kevin