Thread: Need help adding capacitors to ESC

Default Need help adding capacitors to ESC

I'm thinking about soldering on 2 more capacitors to the small cap bank that came with my seaking 180 ESC. I cut the shrink wrap off to find the two - 35v 390uf caps, but there is a small little black box thing in between the 2 caps. My plan is to solder on 2 more caps to the under side on them, but what is that black box??? If I solder them on is it going to screw something up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Double post

Looks like a mosfet, might be easier just to add a complete seperate cap bank like an ETTI one.

Im not sure why they are using a fet there but you could also stack another fet on top and 2 more caps

Better off just removing them and adding two bigger, better caps.

I'm still learning about capacitors, what does an FET do?
    Also which caps would you recommend I buy?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Kaotic; 08-31-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Why do you say it is a FET ??

Most likely a resistor.

Quote Originally Posted by bayareaheli View Post
    Looks like a mosfet, might be easier just to add a complete seperate cap bank like an ETTI one.

Im not sure why they are using a fet there but you could also stack another fet on top and 2 more caps
    Nortavlag Bulc

image.jpg Here is a closer look at it.

Let me ask this.... Does the esc need more caps for some reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Well the caps I have now get to close to 160 degrees after about a 3.5 minute run, so I figured I'd add a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Why do you say it is a FET ??

Most likely a resistor.
    because i looked up the part number, so im guesing it is there for switching back in forth between caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic View Post
    I'm still learning about capacitors, what does an FET do?
    Also which caps would you recommend I buy?
    Thanks

you can find all the parts you need right here
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...ories+%26+More

Well the caps I have now get to close to 160 degrees after about a 3.5 minute run, so I figured I'd add a few more.
    That is quite hot, but no where near the threshold, but I agree with you that lower is far better.
    Which version is the ESC? I dread the day I have to use the current version3!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

It's the 180a V3. Running on 4s 65c to a 3674, revolt. runs great I'm just worried about temps.

Add a castle cap bank to it.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

It's the 180a V3. Running on 4s 65c to a 3674, revolt. runs great I'm just worried about temps.
    I don't mean to bash the new version, it's just that the way they did the caps which prevents a clean installation of a cap bank, I have many V2 of this ESC with a cap bank added. Also the Capacitance on the older one is higher, may be it is not needed with the newer ones? I have no idea.
    Going back to your original question, the box looks to me like a SURFACE MOUNTED CAPACITOR? That was there between the caps on the older version as well. If i were you I will add a cap bank that somehow " splices" into the main power lines, so there is no unnecessary soldering or de-soldering on that tiny plate.
    Just my $.02

I actually have the castle bank, but I wasn't planning on using it in this boat so I kind of cut my ESC wires a little to short to use it. I'm kicking myself now.

Actually from what I looked up we all were wrong, it says SCHOTTKY barrier diode http://www.datasheetdir.com/SX32+Schottky-Diodes

Quote Originally Posted by bayareaheli View Post
    because i looked up the part number, so im guesing it is there for switching back in forth between caps.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Actually from what I looked up we all were wrong, it says SCHOTTKY barrier diode http://www.datasheetdir.com/SX32+Schottky-Diodes
    Thanks, Ray, always good to have correct info.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    I don't mean to bash the new version, it's just that the way they did the caps which prevents a clean installation of a cap bank, I have many V2 of this ESC with a cap bank added. Also the Capacitance on the older one is higher, may be it is not needed with the newer ones? I have no idea.
    Going back to your original question, the box looks to me like a SURFACE MOUNTED CAPACITOR? That was there between the caps on the older version as well. If i were you I will add a cap bank that somehow " splices" into the main power lines, so there is no unnecessary soldering or de-soldering on that tiny plate.
    Just my $.02
    This is how I added a castle cap bank just to give you an idea....

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

well then google short changed me lol

thanks for the correct info always good to have for the next person.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    This is how I added a castle cap bank just to give you an idea....

That looks great, did you solder it up stream or down stream from the factory pack? I like to know and may be others would want to learn as well.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    That looks great, did you solder it up stream or down stream from the factory pack? I like to know and may be others would want to learn as well.
    Thanks!
    I removed the factory one as it was in the way. I tested it and it works fine without it. If you guys think this will be an issue, let me know as I can put it back in line I don't see why it would tho.

That makes sense, i am glad I asked, your willingness to share is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I removed the factory one as it was in the way. I tested it and it works fine without it. If you guys think this will be an issue, let me know as I can put it back in line I don't see why it would tho.
    Hopefully someone will chime in, i am just thinking out loud here, since the capacitance is less, SK added a Schottky barrier diode to counter this situation, Again, I can be dead wrong.

The Schottky (very fast) barrier diode would be to block unwanted spikes that the caps were unable to filter out. Or to block spikes that exceed the voltage capacity of the caps.
    41" & 29" FE Aeromarine Sprint Cats, Quickdraw powered "Dollar Eater" 41" Insane Cat, 29" BL mod Graupner Cat, 24" Hydro, 29" OB Cat, BL mod NQD Tear Into Jet boat, 55" Scarab, JET SWEEP R/C pool skimmer Rescue Boat.

I guess it wasn't needed. Ran the boat Sunday with no problems.

Back a few years ago, adding caps became the FE "trend du jour" (theoretically helped the ESC run cooler) and like a good sheep I added caps to most all of my ESCs - particularly my oval raceboats which drew lots of current and created mucho spikes bouncing around in racewater. I can say with absolute certainty that I have NO IDEA if all of that bolstering helped BUT my ESC's have lasted for years being beat on regularly. I like Etti cap banks basically because it's fun saying Ettie.

V1 T-180/Ettie in a 34" P-Mono - Neu 1521 1.5D

DSC06079.JPG

CC Hydra 240 LV / Ettie

DSC06080.JPGDSC06081.JPG

A word about location : I've heard discussions about cap bank placements. Some say place close to ESC or others say otherwise. Know that electromagnetic propagation takes place at very close to the speed of light
    (186,282,397 miles per second) so an inch or so in either direction ain't gonna make a big difference
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Ok so I installed the Castle cap bank. I didn't have a lot of wire to work with and there isn't much room in this 30" Revolt. So I didn't put the wires inside the clear shrink wrap which allowed them to bend near the solder joint. It worked out very well. Thanks for all the help
    Attached Images Attached Images