Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for motor ideas

Default Looking for motor ideas

Looking for motor ideas to replace the current approved P-Limited motors.

We got a Midwest contingent of racers that run Electric, Nitro and Gas. Primarily Nitro and Gas. The ELectric is showing a little growth. The sore spot is the motor. We'll call it LSH, LSO and LS OPC.

Not looking for a debate. Not looking to race sanctions, nationals or for records. Decision to go this direction is final. Just carmalized my last 2 bran new 2030's.

So - looking for a quality motor to replace. Not looking to increase speed. We are thinking a 1900 KV. Along with this we are looking at a max prop diameter of say 46mm.

An American made or designed motor would be a plus. Same can size and bolt pattern would be good so we have little retrofitting to do, but not a deal breaker. Cost is relevent based on quality.

What's out there?

Doug

Doug, are you looking to replace the current motors, or add new ones that can be used as well?

Please forgive me as I know my place and I should not be making any comments here, but I have had good experience with the TP 3630 10D, 2100kv, I think anything above 2000kv, this might be a good alternative. The 11D is 1900kv btw. Motor is 36x60, bolt pattern is the same as current sactioned motor.
    Just my $.02.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Hi Doby - Just looking for a good quality 1900 kv +/- motor to run in our spec boats. We are exiting the P-Limited arena.

tlandauer - the TP 11D 1900 sounds interesting, same bolt pattern is great. Is the 36x60 the same can size too?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    Hi Doby - Just looking for a good quality 1900 kv +/- motor to run in our spec boats. We are exiting the P-Limited arena.

tlandauer - the TP 11D 1900 sounds interesting, same bolt pattern is great. Is the 36x60 the same can size too?

Doug
    Yes, the TP11D is the same size: 36x60

Doug, I'm with ya actually. We should consider talking about this as district since we tend to run in the same circles.

If we drop the 6 poles and go to 4 pole the wires from the can that are always the point of failure every single time will be larger and less prone to failure.

If we stayed around the 2000kv mark in a similar sized can to the existing spec we should/could be in good shape.

Tom and I are working on something but it's not American made. It will take us some time too. The motors we're looking at are inexpensive and the quality is pretty good. Similar to a TP. Retail is about the same as an AQ. Same size cans but only 4 pole and heavier wire. Don't have them in our mitts yet.
    Noisy person

Why not the NEU 1410/2Y/SE
    $99.00

The 1410/2Y/SE is designed as a lower cost version of our popular 14XX series motors. It has a little smaller rotor diameter rotor but to makeup for that the stator is a bit longer. The Kv for this motor is 1850 with a no-load current of 1.4 amps. Weight is 205 grams. Diameter is 36.5mm and is 58mm in length. The output shaft is 5mm. We are offering a limited time special on these motors of $99. This motor is a good match for the MidiFan running 6 or 7S and drawing 60-80 amps with thrust in the 70-90oz range. The 1410/2Y also will make a prop plane move right along too with a 8x5 prop and a 3S battery it will draw 50 amps and with 7x7 prop 45 amps.

Limited time my butt. If they knew we wanted them on a regular basis the price would most likely stay at $99 as it has been for over 9 months. Just sayin'
    Nortavlag Bulc

tlandauer - where do I find the TP11D?

Doug

The TFL SSS 3660 5.5D 1950kv motor might be worth a look.
    They are on the TFL motor list but check with Monica as to whether they are still available.
    Their 5D is 2140kv.
    Although the SSS motors are 4 pole windings the rotors are 6 pole which adds about 20% more torque.
    I use a few SSS motors & they certainly are good little powerhouses.

I know Doug isn't caring about the existing motor spec and for sure isn't willing to fight about that but I will..................... if TFL started selling their RTR boats with the 1950 motor then NAMBA would be forced to accommodate it. A club or district can write their own spec should they so choose.

SSS has a 2050kv too I believe. Somewhere in there. That's the avenue we were exploring. Realtively inexpensive. Tom has been running a couple all summer but not the wind we would want for a spec type thing.

Because I've heard every argument I'll save us one of them.

How do you know there wont just be manufacturing fluctuations in this new brand of motors that will be failures just like we've experienced to date? The answer is we don't. It's manufacturing. Crap happens. But if we choose a motor that's less impacted by those fluctuations their wont be as many failures. All theory of course. Those itty bitty wires on the AQ motors are the point of failure. We don't throw magnets. No spun bearings. It's always the same failure. Choose a motor that wont detonate if you pick up a weed or clip a turtle and have your sporty turn fin kicked up.

The trouble with my idea is that I've not got my hands on the motors I want to test so I don't know for sure what the wires would look like. The wires on the motors we've seen are larger but that may not be the case on the smaller SSS motors.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Although the SSS motors are 4 pole windings the rotors are 6 pole which adds about 20% more torque.
    Where did you find this information? I've been looking for it everywhere.
    Noisy person

I did read it in a spec sheet somewhere, but I can't find it. But it is also on the box that the motors are packaged in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    tlandauer - where do I find the TP11D?

Doug
    http://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/bui...series/tp-3630
    http://www.tppowerusa.com/image/cach...EW-800x600.png

My apologies for not giving the links!

Thanks tlandauer.

You just might have kept some of us racing electrics.

What is your opinion on KV? 1900 or 2100? Not looking to increase speeds. Just want durability. I am under the impression the 2030's really only put out a kv closer to 1900. I am leaning 2100. Will probably pull the trigger on a few for testing. If they look promising I'll purchase a large quantity to get a volume discount and pass this along in my district.

Doug
    Last edited by DPeterson; 08-22-2014 at 09:27 PM.

USA, USA....

I threw a magnet in a 2030 AQ motor 2 years ago, nasty...

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I know Doug isn't caring about the existing motor spec and for sure isn't willing to fight about that but I will..................... if TFL started selling their RTR boats with the 1950 motor then NAMBA would be forced to accommodate it. A club or district can write their own spec should they so choose.

SSS has a 2050kv too I believe. Somewhere in there. That's the avenue we were exploring. Realtively inexpensive. Tom has been running a couple all summer but not the wind we would want for a spec type thing.

Because I've heard every argument I'll save us one of them.

How do you know there wont just be manufacturing fluctuations in this new brand of motors that will be failures just like we've experienced to date? The answer is we don't. It's manufacturing. Crap happens. But if we choose a motor that's less impacted by those fluctuations their wont be as many failures. All theory of course. Those itty bitty wires on the AQ motors are the point of failure. We don't throw magnets. No spun bearings. It's always the same failure. Choose a motor that wont detonate if you pick up a weed or clip a turtle and have your sporty turn fin kicked up.

The trouble with my idea is that I've not got my hands on the motors I want to test so I don't know for sure what the wires would look like. The wires on the motors we've seen are larger but that may not be the case on the smaller SSS motors.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Doug,
    I have only used the 2100kv, I was also looking for durability having had issues with the 2030 AND the 1800 motor. I do not race, and therefore my disclaimer from the get go that I should not mess up this important thread, however I was favorably impressed with the motor and thought I will chime in a bit.

So you guys are finally coming to my side? I have been complaining for years about the 2030 motors.. I recommend the Leopard Motors. They are working for our club. The 4072 2200kv. 445 would be a better choice though.

For what it's worth fellas:
    We tested 15 AQ 2030 kv motors a few years ago at GP race and none of them had a KV of 2030. They were all 19 and some change.

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

kintecracing Has the SSS motors your looking for here state side. 60 dollars each. In with the Zonda boat and parts.

http://kintecracing.com/Zonda_Cat.html
    twissted from speed. Lead, fallow or get out of the way. Copy cats in back of the buss!!!

I have a pair of them and they work very well I also have 3 of the SSS 5694 1200 kv motors and I like them also. They like high output lipos. 60c or better. I run the SMC lipos there very good and the price is a steal. The race formula series are just what the motor like. The SeaKing 180 esc work great also. Its a great combo of parts that don't break the bank and will run very well. You try it and you will find that others will want to know what your running. It's that good. The zonda is 42'' long and with theses motors and the 1840/2 props got to the high 60 with this set up.
    here in video I'm running the 100 dollar TP 4050 2220kv on 6s. It's hard to tell the speeds I'm getting because of the far off back ground but if you watch how fast is disappears
    you get the idea it scoots.
    twissted from speed. Lead, fallow or get out of the way. Copy cats in back of the buss!!!

Howard - you have a missed call from me. Wanted to discuss motors before we decided on one.

I was OK with the 2030's until the 6 new one's I purchased this year. Carmalized all of them in proven set up's. Then got brushed off by AQ and lied to by Tower. That and a few more issues sealed the deal for me!

Can we assume the TP and or the Leopard motor kv ratings, also are actually below what they are rated for? If not and the TP or Leopard actually run at what they are rated at, then we will want the 1900 kv.

Thanks for continued good info. Doug
    Last edited by DPeterson; 08-23-2014 at 10:50 AM.

I have wondered why a limited type P class would not just regulate by the size of the motor. Staying in the 36X60 or 36X65 for a maximum dimension and leave whatever kv open to the user. A 1409-1412 Neu would be upper end and you have a selection of $30-60 Turnigys, on up to leopards and such. Only so big a magnet you can get in a 36X65 can. Open kv and prop would let people tinker and improve things, or shoot themselves in the foot.
    In the testing I have done 40X74 or larger motors up everything, speed and esc wise which may require different hulls.
    Props should be left to what works for different hulls. Regulating them stifles R&D. Good discussion here as manufacturers of RTR equipment may change things at any time. (Revolt)
    Just my 2 cents.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Just pulled the trigger on 4 - 3630 10D Thunder Power's. Little more kv than desired but 1900 seemed a tad short. We'll put in a max prop diameter. The same size can and bolt pattern as the 2030 sold me. Not looking to retrofit everything.

We'll do some runs. If satisfactory, we'll do a volume purchase to hit a price point and distribute to our Midwest racing buddies.

Thanks for all the feedback. Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Tom and I just talked about this again.

What if we had spec that was:
    36mm (max)
    2100kv (max)
    A maximum weight (TBD)
    Maximum MSRP of maybe $130.
    Noisy person

NEU it is then, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Tom and I just talked about this again.

What if we had spec that was:
    36mm (max)
    2100kv (max)
    A maximum weight (TBD)
    Maximum MSRP of maybe $130.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    NEU it is then, lol...
    If it meets the parameters it would be legal with my spec.

Need to collect all the MSRP on the AQ and P motors to see what the max should be.

It's only an idea right now but I personally feel we're going to have to do something or we run the risk of losing some great racers that are fed up.
    Noisy person

a neu 1512/1.5Y 1850 kv and prob can get years and years of running? OK its a little more expensive but this year alone I spent $790 on "spec" motors I'm pretty done with buying these motors I would rather pay $250 on a motor that will last me 10 seasons???
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Mike, that 1512 will turn more prop than the AQ motor. But I get it. I've lost my share now too. I personally don't want more performance. I just want the same performance with reliability and predictability.

I also still want a guy to be able to buy a shelf boat and be in the ballpark right out of the box. If you tell a potential new boater with 350 or so in his first boat that he has to drop another 250 to race he ain't gonna. If he can race for a few races with his boat as is we at least have a shot.
    Last edited by T.S.Davis; 08-23-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    Noisy person

So, I'm thinking, should I sell off my extra spare AQ 1800's and 2030's??
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast