Thread: New Owner First FE Boat!

Angry New Owner First FE Boat!

Well tough decision between the $300-$400 RTR range brushless boats nowadays pretty much Castles Spartan, Aquacrafts Revolt 30, and the Proboat 31 V2.

First off I off I bought the AQ Revolt FE for my new nephew and that thing is a blast so I figure let's get another FE....bought a new Proboat Impulse 31 V2 from Superior Hobbies online though ebay.

I don't know if it was Proboat's lack of quality control, when I got it the rudder servos as just laying there in the hull. Looking at the link I figured out the servo was installed backwards I think.

Then I went to my lhs who recommended this glue Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue.

Then installing the prop when I was twisting the nut the washer at the back end of the brass cog would not be flush...is this normal?

Worst RTR I've ever seen. Traxxas $400 at least gives you some batteries and a basic tool kit.

Proboat gives you nothing LOl!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alexchen86; 08-22-2014 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Grammar

The nylon washer not being "flush" is normal, there needs to be a gap between the drive dog and the strut to allow for the flex cable "compressing" (being shorter ) when under load...no quality control issues with that.

What are you using wood glue for????to hold the servo???

The best advice is never to listen to advice from your LHS...boats are a mystery to just about everyone of them.

Traxxas gives you NiMh batteries because they are a dead technology and worth pretty much nothing anymore in the FE world. They do give you a nice looking plastic hull that tends to crack when you flip the boat at speed.

Is the servo fastened to a wood block and the wood block is loose ?

Quote Originally Posted by eboat View Post
    Is the servo fastened to a wood block and the wood block is loose ?
    Correct. The servo is fastened to a wood block. The wood block had become undone and fallen off the supporting block. Should I use this type of wood glue to secure it back?

Also I am worried about the nut that secures the prop. It seems as though it can come loose pretty easily as if the nut itself maybe stripped? I can continuously twist the nylon nut and it becomes snug to a point and then loose again.

So far I just tried some blue loctite on it. Anyone else have this issue?

Should've returned it and got another Revolt! I concur that the guys at local hobby stores don't know anything about boats. If it isn't cars, planes, or helis/quads then they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by fwlbp View Post
    Should've returned it and got another Revolt! I concur that the guys at local hobby stores don't know anything about boats. If it isn't cars, planes, or helis/quads then they don't care.
    Well guess I'll have to physically call PB I just wonder if I stripped the bolt that secures the prop...

Servo block coming off not a big deal...and facing the wrong way doesn't take a genius to figure out given how short the rod that controls the rudder is. Flipped the rudder servo around and recentered the aluminum locking horn that was about it. I'll try the glue I mean it's just wood glue anyways...

As far as a cheap recovery craft any recommendations on an easy DIY boat?

Believe it or not, a lot of guys love this boat from harbor freight as a recovery boat:

http://www.harborfreight.com/radio-c...oat-95641.html

I am thinking about getting one myself. It just uses two brushed motors. It doesn't have a rudder and relies on the individual motors for steering, which makes it perfect for tight maneuvering in a rescue situation. Also, the lack of rudder helps keep the tow line from getting tangled up.