Thread: Like father, like son. ..gotta see this!

Default Like father, like son. ..gotta see this!

Well I guess my 14 year old has the speed bug like I do. I get a text today with a picture of my gps Saying 75.8mph. He tells me now I beat your buggies speed. Time to beat your boat. Lol. I get home from work today and he's done borrowed my x01 pinion, found two 3s battery packs (mismatched lol) and made a Y adaptor and plug adaptor for it even tho he really doesn't know how to solder. He's 14, btw. I was teaching him a little bit about soldering last weekend. So he keeps telling me he's going to beat my speed. I kept laughing at him. I think the best he got was around 60mph. It's a kyosho inferno nitro buggy I converted for him to electric.

He took me outside to show me how fast. I got pissed. Not because it was fast, because it was just stupid. He could control it and there's kids that play outside all the time. I immediately thought about what could happen. So I decided to take him down the road to a straight away...away from everyone so he could get it out his system because as of now he's not allowed to drive the thing on our street. Here's his wiring shenanigans (lol, hey it worked!)

And in case you don't care to watch the video...

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Last edited by kfxguy; 08-19-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Reserved for video
    I just watched it on YouTube! So guess your reserve was early! lol. Thing is fast!
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    I just watched it on YouTube! So guess your reserve was early! lol. Thing is fast!
    Video posted. Yea, it's fast and he did it mostly himself. How about this...he has a 4000mah 20c pack and a 5400mah 20 pack running in series. Lol. He kept checking the voltage every run. He said he read about it on the Internet. Lmao!

Nice!
    Not trying to be critical but that uninsulated Deans connector is an accident looking for a place to happen.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Nice!
    Not trying to be critical but that uninsulated Deans connector is an accident looking for a place to happen.
    O I know. I told him no more running it till I look it over. I didn't see that till I took the pic!

I know how it is, I had a 14 year old son once. You have to watch them like a hawk.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Btw, electronics in the car is a sidewinder 8th combo. 2200kv 1515 motor and the new sidewinder 8 esc.

pretty awesome. some kids have a knack for stuff more so than the adults even lol.

Update. I held the speed record for one day....I did 87.3 yesterday with my boat...so I passed him up. I made him a better y harness and let him use my venom 5000 50c packs....we'll here's the result...

I don't even know how I would drive that thing that fast! I would be scared to annihilate it! lol

Quote Originally Posted by iridebikes247 View Post
    pretty awesome. some kids have a knack for stuff more so than the adults even lol.
    Yep, sure beats sitting on the playbox all day eating Twinkies! lol. I like toys that move!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    I don't even know how I would drive that thing that fast! I would be scared to annihilate it! lol

Yep, sure beats sitting on the playbox all day eating Twinkies! lol. I like toys that move!
    Man that thing was flying and twitching down the road at 92 mph with $200 worth of my batteries, my gps and my semi expensive street tires....lol....I was stressing! That thing whooshed by like a rocket! All I could think about at that time was all that money if he hits a reflector in the road....and me or him getting hit. I hit myself with a lighter buggy several months ago at 60mph and it messed me up pretty bad. Couldn't walk on my foot for days. I got laughed at, at work.

Next test will be some Maxx amp 150c batteries....ought to pick up a few mph.

Default Like father, like son. ..gotta see this!

I've hit myself before but "only" at 40. My truck hit a puddle, lost traction and came at me! Lol.
    Maybe the twitchy could be fixed with a stronger servo or some small tweaks? Did you balance the wheels?
    You need a roll cage for it so if it flips it doesn't kill everything. I've thought about MaxAmps but some "say" they have a overblown C rating which yay or nay on that since I have never got my "grubby" hands on em! Lol

Awesome story. Reminds me of me back then...

Try some REVO cells, you'll pass 100mph.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Awesome story. Reminds me of me back then...

Try some REVO cells, you'll pass 100mph.
    Lol, they will be here today!

This is when RC is at it's very most fun. Memories that will last a lifetime.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Yes sir!

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Ya I will never forget the 2009 Nats and you going postal But really I enjoyed the whole race.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

I'm so thankful my son wasn't there to see that. I was completely humiliated from the aftermath.

Too much stress that year.
    Noisy person

Terry,that young man is way cool. I can't get Iain (13yrs old) to race in novice, loves to pit and hang out though, and loves the atmosphere of a race event. Iain's is the starting QB and middle line backer for his high school football team, very little time for the box . Gotta keep them in some thing and occupied so they stay on the right path. Great parenting Terry.

Cheers, Jay.

You gotta get him out there Jay. Tell him there is no harm in coming in last and usually nobody cries if a kid messes up. If they do you need new friends. The whole muscle memory thing is kick'n at about this age. It's why they kill us at video games. They practice. Spongy buggers.

First run of the day is always sketchy with Ty but this was from Saturday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wok...ature=youtu.be

So any updates on the quest to be top dog? I know I'll be losing to my son in no time. Did you crest a 100 on the Revo cells?
    Noisy person

This will be my son and I in a few years. Few weeks ago I came home from work and half my tool chest was out on the garage floor.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s