Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prop shape help....

Default prop shape help....

I have an m645 prop that just kicks every other props ass. No matter what. I just did an X646 to try and beat my m645. Nope. It's about 4 mph slower. I detounged the crap out of it but maybe not enough. I tried an abc 1816 and it was horrible. Think I screwed it up anyway. Not worried with that one, it ended up at like 41 mm cuz I slipped on the belt sander lol. Anyway, look at the tongue difference. Should I cut the X646 down even more like the m645? M645 on right. X646 on left and abc on the rear.

The X646 is just much nicer and you can tell it's thinner. Just more tongue.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I would put a piece of masking tape over the M645's leading side and trim it to the outer shape, then pull it off and match it up on the 646. Make sense Trav?

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I would put a piece of masking tape over the M645's leading side and trim it to the outer shape, then pull it off and match it up on the 646. Make sense Trav?
    Excellent idea! Thanks!!!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Also works well to copy for reverse rotation such as say,,, 447's.

You can use the trailing edge and hub of prop as the reference guides.

Just where I came up with it. Oh and of course, balance after

That M645 looks like it may have some extra cup bent in the TE. If so, the x646 will have a hard time keeping up.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    That M645 looks like it may have some extra cup bent in the TE. If so, the x646 will have a hard time keeping up.
    would it be a good idea for kfx to cut the 646 to the exact blade size as the 645 and remove cup if any then run? whats his next move if the 646 is slower than 645? is he rapidly approaching his boats max speed? this a good thread as kfx is putting alot of effort into this project and everyone can learn from the experienced boater's input.

Removing cup will slow the boat...just the opposite of what the OP wants. Matching the exact blade area is less important than increasing the TE cup. Otherwise he is simply duplicating the m645 (with a tiny bit more root pitch), what's the point? Get a pair of jewelers pliers and bend in some cup.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Default prop

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Removing cup will slow the boat...just the opposite of what the OP wants. Matching the exact blade area is less important than increasing the TE cup. Otherwise he is simply duplicating the m645 (with a tiny bit more root pitch), what's the point? Get a pair of jewelers pliers and bend in some cup.

he said he lost 4 mph with the 646. then someone said the 646 had more cup than the 645. so wouldnt cupping the 646 increase the load, slowing the boat even more?

Read Post 5 again, the m645 has more cup added. That is probably why the x646 is slower. That, or he tested the props under different conditions. That alone can cause a 4 mph difference even with the same prop...

Read Post 5 again, the m645 has more cup added. That is probably why the x646 is slower. That, or he tested the props under different conditions. That alone can cause a 4 mph difference even with the same prop...

Just a light chop can really break a boat free. That can come from just a good sudden breeze over water.

As big a difference is battery condition. A 100 degree battery will put out more voltage than a 75 degree battery will. Testing a prop with a battery fresh off the charger then comparing it to one with a battery half discharged can mean a difference of a volt or more....why bother. I see many folks making these mistakes every day, getting meaningless "data" and often choosing the wrong prop or strut setting because of it.

I made several passes with both props. Swapping back and forth between the two. I went the same direction every time. I put the m645 on, made one pass. Brought in. Checked speed. Swapped prop to x646, made pass. Brought in. Checked. Slower. Put m645 back on. Made pass. Check. Back to where it was on the first run. X646 back on...you get the picture. I'm not sure how I could be more consistent. The X646 runs 78.something every time and the m645 run 82.something every time. I thought it was a consistent test?
    Last edited by kfxguy; 08-17-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Wait, 646 or 648? Now the OP says both...typo? No one said the OP's testing was not done well, just that no one knew. It sounds like very good methodology to me. The difference is likely the lower thrust from the larger prop compared to the cupped 645. Forget blade shape and bend in some cup. Blade thickness matters too.

Wait, 646 or 648? Now the OP says both...typo? No one said the OP's testing was not done well, just that no one knew. It sounds like very good methodology to me. The difference is likely the lower thrust from the larger prop compared to the cupped 645. Forget blade shape and bend in some cup. Blade thickness matters too.

Sorry about that. Auto correct on my phone has the 648 stored lol. I didn't go back and fix it. Just for clarification I'm testing the X646 vs m645 back to back. I looked closely (the pic fools you, the X646 has a touch more cup, thinner and a bit more tongue. I'm reshaping it like the m645 to see if that helps.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 08-17-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Here's how much I had to take off....

Here's the results. The newer looking one is the X646

Default prop

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Here's the results. The newer looking one is the X646

looks good. did you use masking tape to trace 645 blade and transfer to 646?

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    looks good. did you use masking tape to trace 645 blade and transfer to 646?
    Thanks! Yes, that's what I did.

Travis, very nicely done brother...Fluid had a very valid point...try testing with fresh charged each run...even just a short run can make a big diff, specially when your trying to get just a few mph more....DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    Travis, very nicely done brother...Fluid had a very valid point...try testing with fresh charged each run...even just a short run can make a big diff, specially when your trying to get just a few mph more....DJ
    Thanks!
    It would be impossible to charge in between runs. I'm riding out to a lake in my atv.....

But, I've run 82.xx with the m645....swap props....79.xx....swap back to the m645...82.xx again.

Another one I just did.

Travis, looks good, Ive got one of those cut down a bit (48mm) cupped/detounged/backcut and I just finished a s/b/thinning on it...to be honest I'm still a bit leary about thinning much...on a 45mm that was just s/b I was getting esc temps around 130 ....so not sure if I should try that worked x450 on that setup or not...least not till I do the seperate cooling upgrade....DJ

Good work there Travis. Now to test.

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    Travis, looks good, Ive got one of those cut down a bit (48mm) cupped/detounged/backcut and I just finished a s/b/thinning on it...to be honest I'm still a bit leary about thinning much...on a 45mm that was just s/b I was getting esc temps around 130 ....so not sure if I should try that worked x450 on that setup or not...least not till I do the seperate cooling upgrade....DJ
    Well this one is for someone. He told me try it if I want before sending to him.

You know, of all my prop tests on the Miss Behavin' Geico, the 645 has been most consistently best. Have an ABC that is good at speed once it stops cavitating, but it falls off in the corners.
    The 646 is defiantly a cleaner cast to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    You know, of all my prop tests on the Miss Behavin' Geico, the 645 has been most consistently best. Have an ABC that is good at speed once it stops cavitating, but it falls off in the corners.
    The 646 is defiantly a cleaner cast to start with.
    aint no doubt about that. thinner than the m645 just has a tongue. The abc i tried cavitates like a mofo, grabs and then jumps nthe boat out the water. yea....im not into that. Id rather not have to recover it every other pass. Ive been quite lucky. Ive yet to have a blow over.

aint no doubt about that. thinner than the m645 just has a tongue. The abc i tried cavitates like a mofo, grabs and then jumps nthe boat out the water. yea....im not into that. Id rather not have to recover it every other pass. Ive been quite lucky. Ive yet to have a blow over.
    Don't say that too loud..... "Blowover"

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Don't say that too loud..... "Blowover"
    Well.....I may this weekend lol. It should go a little faster!

Well.....I may this weekend lol. It should go a little faster!
    BTW the props look good! Ya know blowovers mean one of two things, (1)either your setup is wrong or (2) you're on the ragged edge of that hull going as fast as it can go. I'm thinkin' you're headed for #2 cause you wouldn't be going as fast as you are if your setup was wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    BTW the props look good! Ya know blowovers mean one of two things, (1)either your setup is wrong or (2) you're on the ragged edge of that hull going as fast as it can go. I'm thinkin' you're headed for #2 cause you wouldn't be going as fast as you are if your setup was wrong..
    Maybe so....I have some ideas on how to counter act that tho....hopefully. I'm heading to the lake shortly with a small arsenal of props to try lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast