Default Anyone tried these high voltage batts? 4s 15.2 v 65c

ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

Why worry with those when you can get these for $2 more. More capacity

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...0C-SILHV-label

Or for $12 more, these....way more capacity

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...0C-SILHV-label
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Bro, these just came out today I believe
    I do want to try a pair
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

That's not much mah......
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

4s4p...here I come!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    4s4p...here I come!
    wow Tlandauer!!!
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    That's not much mah......
    pair as in 2
    about 2000mah more than I need
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Isn't it less weight and smaller packs to handle if you did some 5500 or 6500 mah 2s packs run in series?

not sure that those batteries will be legal for namba racing rule book says 3.7 volts per cell for lipo batts but hey what do I know lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

if not charged all the way they will be....
    Last edited by Brushless55; 08-08-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    if not charge all the way they will be....
    While this may be true, but you will need to implement a tech process for each boat (in that heat) before the boats get taped up.

Later,
    Ball

Default Anyone tried these high voltage batts? 4s 15.2 v 65c

Seems legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Luck as a Constant; 08-08-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    While this may be true, but you will need to implement a tech process for each boat (in that heat) before the boats get taped up.

Later,
    Ball
    Your not forced to in your individual club but that's fine....

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Your not forced to in your individual club but that's fine....
    Agreed, but tell me this... How long will it take at YOUR local club race for other racers raise concern when racer "X" is winning races AND it's known that racer "X" is using a battery capable of these higher charge voltage? REGARDLESS if they are charging them to proper voltage to meet the national or local rules, this WILL happen.

Later,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Agreed, but tell me this... How long will it take at YOUR local club race for other racers raise concern when racer "X" is winning races AND it's known that racer "X" is using a battery capable of these higher charge voltage? REGARDLESS if they are charging them to proper voltage to meet the national or local rules, this WILL happen.

Later,
    Mike
    It won't at my club because we don't go down that road....
    if you make it a big deal it will be...
    the guys at NAMBA20 are a great bunch of people, like family

2 second check per pack before the day, because most of us do not charge the same day is all that's needed....

IMO

From the older thread about overcharging LiPos and the surprising voltages some had got out of them, I have to wonder if these cells are actually something new or just normal high C LiPos with an HV label. The Turnegy's are a fair bit heavier than normal which makes me think it could be something different, but the Revolectrix ones are not unusually heavy for high C packs. The Turnegys claim a 4.35v/cell charge and the Revolectrix a 4.27v/cell charge, which is damned close to the 4.25v/cell maximum charge voltage most LiPo manufacturers have always stated. I could find no reference to a nominal voltage on either website, making it difficult to rule out on that basis as although the full charge voltage is higher it does not necessitate that the nominal voltage would be higher (The Electropaedia define it as "Nominal voltage - Used to indicate the voltage of a battery. Since most discharge curves are neither linear nor flat, a typical value is generally taken which is close to the voltage during actual use." and I suspect that if NAMBA were to take the trouble to buy several samples and test them in use, with the currents boats pull, they may well be at or under the usual 3.7v/cell nominal for LiPos).

My club seems to operate well on the honour system, but at big Naviga races batteries are weighed and voltages are checked to insure they are not over 4.23v/cell going into boats and are not under 3.0v/cell coming out. Generally it is just spot checks at our nats, but it is every boat in every heat at the worlds.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    From the older thread about overcharging LiPos and the surprising voltages some had got out of them, I have to wonder if these cells are actually something new or just normal high C LiPos with an HV label.
    I can't help but think that this is a very real possibility and they're counting on the hype. Keep in mind we are actually talking about less than a tenth of a volt per cell max. It would be interesting to see how fast that 4.35v drops to a consistent nominal number when placed under load...............
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

I have wondered the same about overcharging normal non HV cells...
    I've had some packs come off the charger at 4.22v per cell before? ?

I've been in touch with John at Leo Energy (Revolectrix). And there is definitely some different chemistry at play in their HV cells. I would assume the same thing for the Turnigy packs.
    I know that Revolectrix were working on a 4.35V cell too. These may even be them. But I don't know.

He did clarify for me that when fully charged to 4.27v the nominal voltage was 3.8v. But if charged to only 4.2v then the nominal voltage would be 3.7v, making them legal for racing. You just lose about 10% capacity when doing that, but the packs will last longer, as in more cycles.

These Turnigy packs have a higher terminal voltage but I'm not sure what the nominal voltage would be measured at when charged to only 4.2v. Or whether they would be legal.

Brushless.
    Fires have started by charging normal packs up to a higher voltage. There are people on this site that will attest to that.

paul being a different chemistry makes it into a gray area but as I said before I have no clue just what I read in rule book....
    3. The following battery chemistries will be considered official for electric racing in
    NAMBA:
    a) Ni-chemistry: maximum of Sub-C sized cells with nominal 1.2 volt per cell.
    b) Li-polymer chemistry: nominal 3.7 volts per cell.
    c) Li-ion chemistry: nominal 3.3 volts per cell.
    Racers wishing to run alternative chemistries to those listed will be required to
    provide data to the contest official to verify the chemistry’s volts per cell and any
    special safety requirements. Allowing alternative chemistries will be at the
    discretion of the Contest Directory based on the data provided.
    For the purposes of determining maximum allowances, a “pack” will be
    considered any number of cells in series whose min/max nominal voltage falls
    within the allowed nominal voltage range for the designated class.

Ron.
    They are still totally Lithium polymer but with an added "doping" agent to allow the higher charge.
    Here's a bit of info. I assume the Turnigy packs are similar, if not the same.

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1440.pdf

thanks paul I think I will stay with the giant power batteries and leave these new ones for the faster guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    paul being a different chemistry makes it into a gray area but as I said before I have no clue just what I read in rule book....
    3. The following battery chemistries will be considered official for electric racing in
    NAMBA:
    a) Ni-chemistry: maximum of Sub-C sized cells with nominal 1.2 volt per cell.
    b) Li-polymer chemistry: nominal 3.7 volts per cell.
    c) Li-ion chemistry: nominal 3.3 volts per cell.
    Racers wishing to run alternative chemistries to those listed will be required to
    provide data to the contest official to verify the chemistry’s volts per cell and any
    special safety requirements. Allowing alternative chemistries will be at the
    discretion of the Contest Directory based on the data provided.
    For the purposes of determining maximum allowances, a “pack” will be
    considered any number of cells in series whose min/max nominal voltage falls
    within the allowed nominal voltage range for the designated class.
    so what then equals or determines nominal voltages?

Not sure how they measure/calculate Nominal voltage. Probably some sort of time & voltage curve with a preset load or something. There should be an industry standard test for all the different chemistries.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Not sure how they measure/calculate Nominal voltage. Probably some sort of time & voltage curve with a preset load or something. There should be an industry standard test for all the different chemistries.
    it is possible that these packs still could fall into the 3.7v nominal range

doing a copy / paste

Nominal - The normal operating value.

Nominal Voltage - A nominal value assigned to a circuit or system for the purpose of conveniently designating its voltage class.

Nominal Voltage (Battery) - Voltage of a fully charged cell or battery when delivering rated capacity at a specific discharge rate. The nominal voltage per cell is 2V for Lead Acid, 1.2V for Nickel-Cadmium, 1.2V for Nickel Metal Hydride and 3.9V for Lithium Ion (small cells only).

Nominal Voltage - is the voltage given by the manufacturer as the recommended operating voltage

Nominal voltage - suitable approximate value of the voltage used to designate or identify a cell, a battery or an electrochemical system

Nominal voltage - Used to indicate the voltage of a battery. Since most discharge curves are neither linear nor flat, a typical value is generally taken which is close to the voltage during actual use.

We were talking about these over the weekend and Namba say 3.7 nominal voltage. The HV packs are rated 3.8 nominal voltage. That technically makes them illegal to race with.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    We were talking about these over the weekend and Namba say 3.7 nominal voltage. The HV packs are rated 3.8 nominal voltage. That technically makes them illegal to race with.

Mark
    So you're saying we should all be storing our Dinogys at 3.7v/cell?
    3.7v/cell hasn't technically been nominal voltage for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    So you're saying we should all be storing our Dinogys at 3.7v/cell?
    3.7v/cell hasn't technically been nominal voltage for a while.
    I agree its not...
    Nominal is 3.6v
    3.7v is a marketing thing
    anyone who is not the manufacture of these HV packs cannot determine Nominal voltage by a conversation...

Good grief. Were did you get storage voltage from nominal voltage. If your going to sell lipos Keith maybe you should understand what you are selling a little better.

The nominal voltage is the running voltage under load. The voltage label on a 3s lipo is 11.1 nominal voltage. That works out to 3.7 volts per cell.
    The voltage label on an HV lipo say 11.4 That works out to 3.8 volts per cell.

This clearly makes them a higher voltage pack and gives them an unfair advantage to all other lipos on the market. Not just mine. Also these are not what was voted in when the lipo rules were made.

This new technology hasn't proved itself yet and it opens up the door to more failures. I wonder how long it will be before the garage fire reports start to happen from people who forgot to turn there chargers down when charging their regular lipos.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for higher voltage packs and welcome the idea, but until all manufactures produce this new product, I don't see how anyone could think these are going to be legal in the racing community. Do you think ROAR will approve these packs?

This is why discussions are needed so we can figure this stuff out. Other wise the rest of us can stop using what we have and go buy all new lipos if we want to compete against the guys with this new product.

Mark

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast