Thread: Your thoughts on the AquaCraft UL-1 Superior Brushless Hydro

Default Your thoughts on the AquaCraft UL-1 Superior Brushless Hydro

I'm thinking about getting the AquaCraft UL-1 Superior Brushless Hydro. I'm wondering if it's a good boat.

It's an awesome boat!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

My fav rtr

There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

I dont own a UL-1 but do own two other Aquacraft boats. They build a great boat and have excellent customer service.
    Aquacraft Revolt 30, Aquacraft Lucas Oil Cat
    Dumas 44' Coast Guard MLB (undergoing restoration)
    Dumas 55" Wellcraft Scarab 38KV (NIB kit)

I might be the curmudgeon here, but I have yet to find a really good RTR hydro...
    The UL1 out of the box is hull limited to around 50mph, if you want more speed you need to stiffen up the hull and blueprint the sponsons. You are better off buying a high quality hull and either build it yourself or find a builder.

As a sports boat, hydros are pretty boring- they only turn one direction and are designed to run WOT all the time....

If you want a really nice hyro, check out www.bbyracing.com, or the phil thomas whiplash, or the insane 30...

FWIW
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
    I might be the curmudgeon here, but I have yet to find a really good RTR hydro...
    The UL1 out of the box is hull limited to around 50mph, if you want more speed you need to stiffen up the hull and blueprint the sponsons. You are better off buying a high quality hull and either build it yourself or find a builder.

As a sports boat, hydros are pretty boring- they only turn one direction and are designed to run WOT all the time....

If you want a really nice hyro, check out www.bbyracing.com, or the phil thomas whiplash, or the insane 30...

FWIW
    Chief
    Bold statement considering this may be someone's first boat. I loved that boat and it got me into the hobby. 50 to a new boater is crazy fast....

I agree with Chief. The UL-1 was a great boat 6 years ago but there are better choices by Aquacraft today. The Motely Crew and Revolt run much better than the UL -1 AND are prone to stay upright in tougher water conditions than UL-1 could ever hope to. Pass on the UL-1 FOR YOUR FIRST BOAT. BG

Ever consider someone wants a hydro and not a cat?
    The revolt is discontinued.
    What rtr hydro is better than a ul-1?

Mista... I dunno your level of electric boat experience, but I started on a ul-1 and it was great...
    If someone wants to learn guitar I don't tell them to buy a $3,000 Gibson custom.
    You have my backing the ul-1 I say grab one and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    ^^^^ Everything you wanted to know and more. Check out the threads and see if you think it will meet your expectations.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Mista... I dunno your level of electric boat experience, but I started on a ul-1 and it was great...
    If someone wants to learn guitar I don't tell them to buy a $3,000 Gibson custom.
    You have my backing the ul-1 I say grab one and have fun
    Aiden, chill dude. To recommend a product different than a UL-1 is not a personal affront to you or your boat. Please respect other members opinions and also,there is no need to comment on other members level of experience. By the way, I own and run" the" LARSONY BANDIT which won the 2009 NAMBA spec hydro class. The boat was built and driven by Doug Waite Jr. I purchased the boat from Doug for less money than the cost of a UL-1.

Why do I bother.....

Op good luck with whatever you do.
    Maybe one of the other gentlemen here can guide you in the rite direction.
    Peace

Last edited by Luck as a Constant; 07-28-2014 at 10:17 PM.

This might be my first hydro

I have a king of shaves p1

Everyone is correct! We love different things and therefore the debate may get passionate, I think this is a good indication that you are in the right place.
    I do believe that a mono boat would be on more people's shopping list as a first boat regardless if it is a RTR or a custom build.
    I was such a person but now I am mainly interested in hydro and tunnel, cat and mono, in this order.
    I bought an used UL-1 ( hull only), although this hull was in mint condition, I now realized its DNA was flawed, but it may be just this particular hull. The sponson ride pads do not have the same articulation, when you put them on a smooth glass surface, the "heel" have very different angle. This is something three years ago that I would neither notice nor care, but it bothers me big time now and I did something about it, I am still in the middle of tuning.
    The UL-1 is a great boat, and AC certainly brings out great running boats, however, because they are mass produced, it is possible to get one like mine in particular, and with some experience, I am enjoying the learning curve .
    I believe you will learn a lot if you were forced to deal with set up issues and frankly on a hydro, you need to get it right or you will not enjoy the boat where as a mono is more forgiving and you may not notice small adjustments immediately.
    And, if your luck is better than mine, yours will probably run well out of the box.
    Check out this latest add-on-aid:https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...-UL-1-Air-Foil
    I can tell you it really makes a huge difference, I ran mine today now that I have my ride pad more unified, it made even more difference.
    This is what I did on my ride pad :https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ds-on-the-UL-1, at first it ran worse than before because the exactness of the pads exaggerated the problem that was plaguing my boat. Since then I have carefully SANDED THE PORT SIDE to change its angle of attack and also the heel of the sponson.
    Go with what your heat desires and there will be plenty of people ready to help you.
    Good Luck and Happy Boating.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

The UL-1 is a great hydro that you will learn a lot from.

I don't own one, but a buddy does. I have a bandit larsony, and we have all kinds of fun going around in circles. His does 55mph ish and it handles pretty good, very simple and effective setup.

AquaCraft UL-1 59mph.
    Motley Crew 61mph.
    JAE 21FE ~~~ 70 MPH Club ~~~

As has been previously stated, everyone's opinions previously stated are correct, but I agree with thlaudauer comments as far as RTR boats and a bare hull custom build are concerned and I had a UL-1 which is a good RTR hydro. If, I was looking for an entry level beginners FE RTR boat I would look at a mono hull design rather than a hydro. Just my two cents.

Douggie

The UL-1 is a pretty impressive boat for an RTR although like all boats that are RTR there can be improvements and there are better parts out there for it. Just do your research and take your time and you will have a boat that you will enjoy no matter what.

enjoy

My son tried the UL-1 and as many have said it is "OK" for a RTR hydro. Our experience was that it needed a LOT of tweaking, air dams & etc. just to get it to stay on the water. And 55mph was pushing it.
    If you want to have some real fun get something like an Insane FE-30. I run one on 5S (65+ mph) and 6S 72+ mph and it's rock solid at WOT, even on the turns.
    Just my 2 ¢
    Support US hobby suppliers

The UL-1 was my first fast boat and got me into racing, to me and my friends at the time it seemed jaw dropping fast and turned like a slot car.
    Now it's 6 years racing and 16 boats later but I still think it's a cool little boat. I beat a bunch of Vegas's with it until they kicked me out of the class.LOL.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

The UL-1 is a great RTR for someone just getting into the hobby. Anyone will have a blast with it and upgrades are very easy such as going to a M445 will make a world of difference. Get one and have fun !!!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12