Thread: Impulse 31 Lipo Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Impulse 31 Lipo Question

Sorry for what is probably a dumb question but I am new to RC Boating and the RC world in general. The Impulse says that its 80amp ESC is rated to work with 6s Lipo, this would mean a max os 2x3s correct? It would burn up with 2x6s correct?

Yes: Max 2x3s. The stock esc is wired so the packs are in series.
    Series means it doubles the voltage for a total of 22.2 Volts.

Connecting two 6s batteries to the stock wiring will instantly kill your esc.

Google "parallel vs series lipo" to learn about different ways to wire an esc.

Also, even though the stock esc is rated for 6s many people think the 80 amp max is too low for 6s.

Hi,
    The problem with that ESC on 6S-- although it is rated for 22.2v input (which is 6S), it is only an 80A esc. What frequently happens is the boat jumps a wake, the prop unloads, then when it hits the water you get a massive amp spike which kills it. Or some people run the boat too wet and that kills it. Some people will claim they can run 6S without problems but if you research this topic you will find many many people have burned out this ESC on 6S. Whereas you will find hardly anyone who has had issues on 4S. The only way to run 6S reliably on an 80A ESC is to use a really small prop which defeats the purpose-- you are better off running 4S with a large prop (like the x642 which works great on this boat), or run 5S with the stock prop.

Chief

Yea just don't run 6s on the esc, save it and go with a 180amp esc if you want to run 6s and a m445 s&b works great on that set up but always time your runs and check your temps.

Thank you for the posts fellas. I have read a lot about 6s burning up the 80amp ESC. I will stick to 2s x 2. Now the last question, 2s 80c wouldnt be to much would it? I was told that the higher the C's the faster. So what im getting, is get the biggest (80-100c) 2s Lipos and a bigger prop to start with for minor upgrades? And the x642, thats a 2 blade?
    Last edited by Hujo R/C; 08-24-2014 at 10:10 PM.