Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nanotech 3s 65 c vs. Dinogy 3s 65 c.

Default Nanotech 3s 65 c vs. Dinogy 3s 65 c.

I have come to the point of FE boating where my current stash of Nanotech 3s, 45 c packs are beginning to show their age. They still run to my time limit, but I'm noticing a few of them are warming up more than the others and coming back slightly puffy. I have two packs that have noticeably less punch than the remaining packs.

Next time around, I would like to get some 65 c packs to better handle the rigors of FE boating. I have narrowed it down to either Nanotech 3s, 5000 mah, 65 c packs or Dinogy 3s, 5000 mah, 65 c packs.

The Nanotechs are about $20 cheaper per pack and I will be ordering at least 6 packs so we're talking at least a $120 difference in investment. Are the Dinogy packs significantly better to justify the extra $20 per pack, or am I looking at diminishing returns past a certain point?

FYI, these packs will be run in a 29" Sprintcat with a Leopard 4082 (1600 kv) and a Blackjack 29 with a Leopard 3674 (1400 kv). Space is limited in both hulls, so running a 6s2p setup or higher MAH packs really isn't a possibility.

I'm all ears, post up your thoughts please.

There has been some testing over at rcgroups and the 65/130c Nano packs deliver a very strong punch for the money
    and some guys here are having really good results with them as well..
    the 25c and 45c nanos don't have the power that the 65/130c packs do FYI..

my money these days are on the Magnum packs from Buz out of Denver
    I'm getting the most speeds and and constant runs with them, they also run cooler for some reason during heat racing
    http://www.motionunlimitedusa.com/page/6
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Good info!

I run all Nano techs for my first year of racing FE Boats and so far I have only lost one 2S battery when a cell balancer never cut off after a few days on.

My batteries range from 2S up to 6S with all the ones in between . For value and performance I'm rapt with them . Just wish they go up to 6000 mah in 4s & up in Nano techs NOT the A specs as I can't pick the difference with them.

I noticed you need a good charger as they take a little longer to balance up and after some running in with my new 65/130c they do indeed feel better but haven't race tested them yet.

I've been running venom batteries for a while. Overpriced for sure but still good performance, reliability and warranty. I was turned on to a small company called spcracingbatteries.com and I ordered a few quite a while back just to test them. They were cheap enough to just try them. Well I was quite surprised to say the least. Everything I used them in was faster. Gps verified and had more punch and longer run time. The construction is quality too. I just recent did a back to back test in my rivercat and picked up almost 2mph. I'd at least give then a look. I know I've mentioned these a few times on here, the only reason I do is because they really are a good battery and I'm slowly replacing my collection with them. Another brand (I have no experience yet but I will soon) is revolectrix, their 70c batteries are said to be awesome and very low priced. Check those out too.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Not comparable packs.
    All my nanos are puffed easy.

The ASpec packs compare ;)
    I've got a 3s 2200mah dinogy thats very puffy after 6 flights in a 350QX
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Aspec can be comparable but they don't have same consistency.

To puff a Dinogy in the 350qx is easy as it has the cutoff low and those cells don't forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post

To puff a Dinogy in the 350qx is easy as it has the cutoff low and those cells don't forgive.
    Actually the ASpec are consistent and develop great power.
    And I never fly my quads to cut off, even the stock lipo holds up better... no puffing with the stock pack or my Turnigy packs, and I fly those longer.
    Not good if they can't go low

Maybe your packs are different batch.

lipos don't work this way.
    You can not go with strong cells below 3,80 (free load) and if you want to run more time better use lower c rating packs.

This is how we do it in EU.

Maybe your packs are different batch.

lipos don't work this way.
    You can not go with strong cells below 3,80 (free load) and if you want to run more time better use lower c rating packs.

This is how we do it in EU.
    just saying the facts about my 350QX
    my stock lipo has not puffed and flies the same duration..
    my pulse packs beats the dinogy pack all over the place..
    I need to try get a Magnum pack to fit it..
    also a buddy of mine who loves flying his PA puffed one of those packs as well on its second flight with the dingy pack...

Quote of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    The only way you are going to get a definitive answer on that is to buy one of each & test it for yourself.
    Battery comparisons are to subjective.
    But let us know what you find.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Very true

I have two 4s 65/130c 5000mah nanos and they have not outperformed or lasted the 40c turnigy blues. The nano packs also have smaller wires, puffed quicker and now will not deliver for racing. For my 0.02 (which is about all I have anyway!) the turnigy blue packs have been better value.
    nanotech packs 1 1/2 tears old
    Turnigy blue 2 and 3 years old
    Turnigy blues are starting to go as well now.

Yesterday I ran my Pursuit w/ TP power 4082 2200kv with the nanos in a 4s 2P setup and didn't make lap 8 in a 10 lap race, hit lvc. New they would do this easy. Prop is a cnc 45x1.6, which easy does a 5 lap heat race on the blue packs.

Some dinogy batts would be nice....
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

The only back to back tests I've seen on here comparing two batteries was by me. I'm not so sure you could really count it either. I ran a 5000mah 50c venom pack against a 6500 65c spc pack. As expected I picked up speed. Had I bought 5000 50c spc packs I would have compared them also but I wanted an upgrade.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    The only back to back tests I've seen on here comparing two batteries was by me. I'm not so sure you could really count it either. I ran a 5000mah 50c venom pack against a 6500 65c spc pack. As expected I picked up speed. Had I bought 5000 50c spc packs I would have compared them also but I wanted an upgrade.
    I love using my PMono in 4s1p setup to test out my lipo packs
    this boat pulls an average of 185amps and I do 2 to 3 laps WOT on our course to see what packs take the beating
    SPC and Revo packs are next on my list to try

If you guys want to see some real testing go to rcgroups.com and go to the battery forum and look up the thread called Battery Load Test comparison. It's very long but you can start with just reading on page 119 to get the tester Joe's opinion on what he has learned so far.

Brushless55

If your battery puffed so quickly I would have giving you another pack no problem. But you chose to not say anything to me and post BS about my brand ever chance you can get. Not sure what that's all about but All lipos puff when over discharged. However when packs are factory defective they usually show themselves in the first couple of cycles and I always take care of that customer when it does.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkF; 08-25-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    The ASpec packs compare
    I've got a 3s 2200mah dinogy thats very puffy after 6 flights in a 350QX

that sounds like unstable cells

Actually the ASpec are consistent and develop great power.
    And I never fly my quads to cut off, even the stock lipo holds up better... no puffing with the stock pack or my Turnigy packs, and I fly those longer.
    Not good if they can't go low
    no LVC kicked in...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    If you guys want to see some real testing go to rcgroups.com and go to the battery forum and look up the thread called Battery Load Test comparison. It's very long but you can start with just reading on page 119 to get the tester Joe's opinion on what he has learned so far.

Brushless55

If your battery puffed so quickly I would have giving you another pack no problem. But you chose to not say anything to me and post BS about my brand ever chance you can get. Not sure what that's all about but All lipos puff when over discharged. However when packs are factory defective they usually show themselves in the first couple of cycles and I always take care of that customer when it does.

Mark
    Please read my posts before posting wrong comments about my battery use
    thanks

It was never over discharged
    and it was on the 6th flight I believe ( pulling only about 15amps) and I do 3 or more break in cycles before I fly any new lipo I buy
    not sure how you call me saying BS when these things are actually happening

I have taken one of my Magnum 3300mah 6s packs down to 3 or 5% by accident in my Blade 500 because the LVC never kicked in and that pack still has not puffed and runs the strongest... so I don't think all cells get puffy for over discharging IMO
    my 2250mah 65C Pulse pack I use for my SU29mm comes back with 10-15% several times because I fly that plane hard with a bigger prop, and its never puffed after 20 flights like that, and once down to 9% on the first hard flight with the bigger prop... I love fast prop planes

During heat racing some of my LNE Dinogy / Giant Power packs come back feeling puffy and with temps of 115-125* with 25-35% left in them
    Last edited by Brushless55; 08-26-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Yes you are write .
    It ''sounds'' unstable cells.

80+ runs with them and they only have 0.02v/cell diference.

"to puff a Dinogy is easy" you say....
    interesting

Yes you are write .
    It ''sounds'' unstable cells.
    unstable I say...
    and now on a different thread we see two other users having issues letting them go below 3.8v per cell

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...627#post584627

starting to sound like ASpec are now as or if not more consistent

Off course it is easy as it is 65c cell.
    Don't you know all the strong 60+cells puff easy?
    Lower c rates puff harder.
    Try a real 60c any brand and see how easy it puffs.

But I don't see this is your thing down there.

Are you suggesting that the packs of 60C and greater have less durability than the packs of less than 60C?

I have been running Turnigy Nano-Tech's in my Cheetah, (6S2P 5000mAh, 1577 KV motor) and have the batts last only 1 season.
    This drives me crazy that the packs puff so easily. I have had nano-techs puff while sitting dormant at storage charge.

What batteries have a good calendar life? Are there Lipos that will last 3 or more years, assuming you take care of them?
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

But I don't see this is your thing down there.
    I can't imagine a more inaccurate statement.

Well it is extremely accurate!
    Every strong lipo cell needs at least 50% power in it to perform the best and must not be dishcharged under 30%.
    Most of the brands out there puff and others builds up higher IR.
    Either way they loose performance.

The best lipo cell is the cell that works for your aplication.

In person i run 30,35c for fun/race and 65c for a couple of passes.

Best calendar life only the lower c rated cells.

Energy works in diferent way as we all believed in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    I can't imagine a more inaccurate statement.
    Exactly
    my other High C rated packs do not puff under use
    so that statement must be an excuse for something hidden

Exactly
    my other High C rated packs do not puff under use
    so that statement must be an excuse for something hidden
    mine dont either. as a matter of fact, ive never puffed a pack. My kids have but they are young, and dont listen to me and run them down till the vehicel stops with no lipo cutoff...lol. This happens only when they drive thier vehicles when i'm at work. They have been told that I wont buy them any more lipos..just nimh if they cant be more careful. lol...kids

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    mine dont either. as a matter of fact, ive never puffed a pack. My kids have but they are young, and dont listen to me and run them down till the vehicel stops with no lipo cutoff...lol. This happens only when they drive thier vehicles when i'm at work. They have been told that I wont buy them any more lipos..just nimh if they cant be more careful. lol...kids
    oh man!
    meany dad
    I have taken one of my Magnum packs that I use in my Blade 500 down to 3 or 5% during flight and the LVC never kicked in because the pack kept putting out strong power.... and still months later the 6s pack has not puffed or shown any kind of stress

Well it is extremely accurate!
    Every strong lipo cell needs at least 50% power in it to perform the best and must not be dishcharged under 30%.
    Most of the brands out there puff and others builds up higher IR.
    Either way they loose performance.

The best lipo cell is the cell that works for your aplication.

In person i run 30,35c for fun/race and 65c for a couple of passes.

Best calendar life only the lower c rated cells.

Energy works in diferent way as we all believed in first place.
    You know, lipos haven't always been "45C", "65C", or even "20C". There was a time when 5C was a lot. I can absolutely assure you that a high current draw on a low discharge pack will puff it without hesitation, in which a higher discharge pack can output the power without the excessive heat/puffing.

Perhaps you are comparing apples and oranges? Poorly assembled packs with sub-par cell matching will easily puff regardless of C rating.
    Your 65C lipos are probably either poorly matched or poorly manufactured. Some high discharge lipos also have a higher termination voltage which may mean you are running them to a lower capacity without running at a lower voltage. I bet I could guess 2 brands and easily tell you which one you're running.

I've been pulling more current than ever in testing this year, and my 70C rated lipos are still perfect bricks.

Let me rewrite it.

Any lipo cell that can give power at high current applications must have 50% energy and not to be run lower than 30% of its capacity.

The 30-35c can be discharged lower as they have different chemistry cell but they can't give power for higher amp aplications.

All others you mentioned are irrelevant to my post as I just saying how things are at this moment.

Question

Let me rewrite it.

Any lipo cell that can give power at high current applications must have 50% energy and not to be run lower than 30% of its capacity.

The 30-35c can be discharged lower as they have different chemistry cell but they can't give power for higher amp aplications.

All others you mentioned are irrelevant to my post as I just saying how things are at this moment.
    uh my Magnum packs deliver much more current than my dinogy and giant power packs and I have run one of them down to 3 or 5% in a 3D heli and never hurt the pack
    and heat racing I normally run them to 20-25% every race without the packs heating up like dinogy and no swelling like dinogy
    I run my dinogy to 25-30% and they puff, and one pack only went down to 35% and puffed and was not even pulling 7C
    my Magnum packs get taken down lower and run harder in different boats I race and no puffing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast