Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** New SeaKing 180 V3 Testing... Could use set up advice

Default *** New SeaKing 180 V3 Testing... Could use set up advice

OKAY OKAY OKAY , what we have all been waiting for...... Testing of the New SeaKing 180esc V3. I grabbed a BlackJack 29 for testing purposes to see how this baby does.

Set up: BlackJack29, Tacon 4074 2200KV Motor, New SeaKing 180esc V3, M545 Prop, 4s set up 65C 5000mah ( Batteries were 80% Charged )

If you have suggestion on improving this particular boat in the water please share, however, realize this boat was just sitting on the shelf, I grabbed the new esc's for testing and went to the lake so don't be so hard on me fellas .... LOL...... Also need some prop advice, do you think I should go up based on what you see?

Painting the Picture: I made 8 full throttle passes, top speed 54mph, about 85 degrees here and humid, I had to hold the phone with my chin so the 1st several passes were shot with the camera facing the ground.... LOL..... however I was able to get a few passes on camera and at the end of the video I show the temps of all the electronics, you be the judge and let me know what you think!

Just posted..... she's live........ I look forward to touching base with your contact and exchanging info. I appreciate you reaching out...... stay in touch!

http://youtu.be/P8S0xHbjJX8 ( NEW CLEANER VIDEO THAN THE FIRST )
    Last edited by msundsd5; 07-21-2014 at 09:26 PM.

The esc is hotter than I like my esc to be. When the lvc kicked in, what did it do? Just die or slow down.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

When LVC cut in it brought it to like 50% power....... it was smooth too. Unlike the old SeaKing and Turnigy 180's I didn't have to cut the function off to run the esc so that is an improvement in itself. I'm sure if I put some focus on the set up I could run the esc cooler. Remember, this boat was sitting around with just a motor and receiver in it, I just through a prop on it and the esc for testing.

I think an x642 prop would work better. Lower your temps and likely go just as fast. That's what I've found on low power, low voltage setups anyway. I picked up 1 mph going from a x642 to a m645 at the expense of other things. (Temps, battery times, extra load, boat handling funny) my geico went faster with an x642 vs this m645 also....but my rivercat picked up. More power. Bigger boat.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I have a X642 detonged, so I think I will try that next time out this weekend...... Looking to try an X447, M445, X646, and a X448

Good to know since I have not opened mine yet... Does it look like there can be another cooling inlet/outlet added?
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by msundsd5 View Post
    I have a X642 detonged, so I think I will try that next time out this weekend...... Looking to try an X447, M445, X646, and a X448
    Evidently you haven't been acquainted with prop walk yet. Let me know how those bigger props work out for you lol. That hull prefers a smaller prop. You'll likely burn the esc up with that high kv motor and the bigger props. High kv, low voltage and huge prop on a small hull doesn't usually mix well.

what speed controller did you run in the boat previously? did it run 130 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    The esc is hotter than I like my esc to be. When the lvc kicked in, what did it do? Just die or slow down.
    My MG had a Leopard 4082/2200kv with a x642, SK 180V2, temp never went beyond 113F, GPS´s at 53.3mph. Thunder Tiger 5000mah 65c 2x2s ( I have not started to run 4s2p at that time yet) I have been using m545 in lure of m445 on many other applications, the temp is not that different from a M445.
    How many minutes until LVC kicked in?
    Too many boats, not enough time...

its waterproofed so it probably has that same stuff covering in the swordfish escs have. really stupid imo, and definitely leads to heat build up. Been meaning to pull the silicone off and do temp testing with and without it.

I imagine this esc will be great once the bugs are worked out just hopefully we don't have to make modifications to a newer much more expensive esc, for it to perform like the old. Pretty cool you did this video for us though, i know i've been wondering about this thing lol

Looks like you almost wiped out a duck at the 14 second mark. I'm trying to figure out if you saw it when you backed off the throttle a little but decided to gun it away.

Thanks for the post fellas:

@kfxguy ............ Actually with this same boat ( had a different paint job ) I ran 59 MPH 6 months ago with an X448 prop on 6s so the larger prop has had no negative impacts thus far, I changed it because it's summer and its warmer but the large prop set up was awesome in the Fall and Winter. As far as heat, the highest temp I had with the larger props were 145 degrees on the esc and the motor was about 130 with batteries in the 115 - 125 range after about 7-8 high speed passes, never blew one of them up. The set up is really for drag racing , making about 6-9 passes.

@urbs00007 ..........Previously I ran Seaking 180V2 and Turnigy 180 in this boat and the temps ran just about the same give or take a couple degrees, with this boat and on some of my others , they are set up to make 8-9 passes over a 4 -7 minute timeframe because we drag race them in different classes with the guys I run with.

@ tlandauer ......... Your set up looks similar, I'm going to see what the X642 does this weekend and let you know. In regards to the low voltage cutoff, I ran a good 4 minutes starting with a battery that was only 80% charged making circles and full speed passes before it came in. I was really excited about it cause one of my main concerns was that I would have to cut it off like the older versions because they would kick in super early, but I didn't have to, ran it stock out the box and got all that run time on the set up with a boat right off the shelf so I would say it was a successful test. I really like the fact it has LED's to blink RED when low voltage cutoff kicks in so you know EXACTLY what has happened and it also has a LED blink ( I believe green, would have to read again ) for THERMAL shutdown to protect from burning up the esc so I'm liking what I see so far from the new version!

@iridebikes247 ........... Yes sir, this video was for the OSE Fam eager to see the esc in action, so I just grabbed a hull that was sitting around, through that bad boy in there and headed to the lake. I know many have been asking and just wanted to give the people what they wanted, that's how we all learn and "get into the know" together. Good Stuff!

@rickwess ....... What had happen wassssssssss when I originally road that way I didn't see a duck there, then when I started getting into the throttle I noticed it and let off the throttle coasting until I was clear to get back on it with out putting the poor duck in danger. Definitely don't want PETA thinking I'm trying to harm the ducks, I LOVE DUCKS!!!!

This is some good dialogue........ I'm going to play with it a little more this weekend, might put it in another boat and see what it does, change some props, etc. I'll let you all know how it goes. In the meantime , keep sharing your knowledge and thoughts...... Seaking 180 V3 might be on to something special!!!

Tks for info...sure hope Hobbywing does a higher Voltage soon...we need something to replace the black hole the loss of castle marine esc's has created. Looking forward to more ..... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    Tks for info...sure hope Hobbywing does a higher Voltage soon...we need something to replace the black hole the loss of castle marine esc's has created. Looking forward to more ..... DJ
    Those ecs's are already available such as MGM Compro, Modellbau-Regler, YGE, and Etti to name a few. IMO castle esc's weren't that great to begin with, I've seen two blow up on the bench, die from getting wet, and die due to vibration. The last one died while trying to retrieve the logged data.
    HPR 115 - Lenher 2240/7, AS26- 150BL EVO ll esc's 92.3mph

They do, it's just a 130/180 amp esc. The V3 has a higher Burst rate, 720Amps.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Burst rates 720 on 120 over 1000 on 180...they dont offer a HV or higher continous amp, talking about Hobbywing who makes the seaking 120/180, they do not make the seaking 130 HV which has issues....MGM 600$ and up... Etti ... SF hit and miss ... have not tried YGM or modellbau yet ...I have seen others have probs with castles normally due to misuse or lack of capbank. Guess I been lucky. It would be nice to have one good lineup using same programmer for all our needs. I really like the logging feature....DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

I agree...

Burst rates 720 on 120 over 1000 on 180...they dont offer a HV or higher continous amp, talking about Hobbywing who makes the seaking 120/180, they do not make the seaking 130 HV which has issues....MGM 600$ and up... Etti ... SF hit and miss ... have not tried YGM or modellbau yet ...I have seen others have probs with castles normally due to misuse or lack of capbank. Guess I been lucky. It would be nice to have one good lineup using same programmer for all our needs. I really like the logging feature....DJ
    Nortavlag Bulc

we should all email hobby wing and make a request for a 240 plus amp version of the seaking 180. maybe they will listen...maybe they wont.

we should all email hobby wing and make a request for a 240 plus amp version of the seaking 180. maybe they will listen...maybe they wont.
    Thats not a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by shartinspartin View Post
    Thats not a bad idea
    I just sent hobbywing this email because I'm being serious

"I'd like to request a much needed product. Your seaking 180 esc's have been highly successful in the boating hobby. It has a very good reputation for holding up much better than most other esc's. What my request is for you to offer an even higher, heavy duty esc based off of the SeaKing 180. Maybe somewhere in the 240-250 amp range with a high burst capacity. This would fill a much needed gap in the fast electric boating market. I can assure you that if it turned out as good as the sea king 180 and wasn't extremely high priced ($200-$250 price point seems fair) it would sell like hot cakes. Thanks for your time and hopefully consideration!

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

I just sent hobbywing this email because I'm being serious

"I'd like to request a much needed product. Your seaking 180 esc's have been highly successful in the boating hobby. It has a very good reputation for holding up much better than most other esc's. What my request is for you to offer an even higher, heavy duty esc based off of the SeaKing 180. Maybe somewhere in the 240-250 amp range with a high burst capacity. This would fill a much needed gap in the fast electric boating market. I can assure you that if it turned out as good as the sea king 180 and wasn't extremely high priced ($200-$250 price point seems fair) it would sell like hot cakes. Thanks for your time and hopefully consideration!

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
    Hopefully, "Hot Cakes" doesn't get lost in translation.....
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar View Post
    Hopefully, "Hot Cakes" doesn't get lost in translation.....
    LMAO its funny you say that because i had considered they may not have a clue what that means hahaha

they will just slap a 240 sticker on a 180 and charge more lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    they will just slap a 240 sticker on a 180 and charge more lol
    and then they will have lots of unhappy customers trying to push it! lol

That's what I told my "Contact" over at HobbyWing North America but nothing happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    That's what I told my "Contact" over at HobbyWing North America but nothing happened...
    maybe if everyone who reads this sends an email to sales@hobbywing.com and says something similar

Here is some pics for now:

What is the bulge in the power lines? Cap pack or spark eliminator?
    Now that I can see the cap side, my hope for adding an extra pair of water nipples is dashed. I had hoped to add another pair on either end of the extra heat sink openings and then loop one more round of silicone tube to increase water flow.
    May I ask what does the three pins do? It´s obvious but my brain is shutting down...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    What is the bulge in the power lines? Cap pack or spark eliminator?
    Now that I can see the cap side, my hope for adding an extra pair of water nipples is dashed. I had hoped to add another pair on either end of the extra heat sink openings and then loop one more round of silicone tube to increase water flow.
    May I ask what does the three pins do? It´s obvious but my brain is shutting down...
    The pins are for connecting a Male to male (ummm) cable to it for programming

the pins are for connecting a male to male (ummm) cable to it for programming
    thank you sir!
    On second thought, how can a male to male pin mate??? Am I missing something? Yes, I know what I am missing, but just electrically speaking... uh, you know what I mean...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast