Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: thrust bearing.....what's your take?

Ok, so if you have a Mystic with motors mounted close to the rear transom with super short flex cables... would you technically not use a gap at the stingers and drive dog at all (besides the teflon washer)?

And what determines the strength of flex cable... the less flex there is in the cable the stronger it is from what I'm hearing?

kfxguy: Are you using a 3/16 shaft for your flexs? I have some bare 5mm Flex cable from Gundert coming any day now incase you wanted some... It's apparently really strong. I was planning to sand the entire cable down to 4.75mm (this is normally done when attaching a shaft for 4.75mm)

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Ok, so if you have a Mystic with motors mounted close to the rear transom with super short flex cables... would you technically not use a gap at the stingers and drive dog at all (besides the teflon washer)?

And what determines the strength of flex cable... the less flex there is in the cable the stronger it is from what I'm hearing?
    I would think that the shorter the flex the less gap you need. But how much is anybody's guess because of all the different cables out there, one determining factor I use is when I get my flex cut to the length I'm going to use. I twist the cable by hand in the direction of rotation and see how much wind up I can get and start from there. you may have to adjust it a couple times. IMO there is no set gap setting, it all depends on the cable length, Brand, Dia., Etc. There is a rule of thumb that most go by but that's not nessasarily what it really needs. Again this is just my opinion and it works for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345