Thread: Drive Cable

Default Drive Cable

Hey, just wondering what you guys are running for cable/wire drive in a mini rio. I just went from the VR3 motor to a 2700kv brushless motor. I was using a .47 piano wire. When I went from 2s to 3s I'm losing props, the solder wont hold. I read about using a .98 cable, but Im unsure how to rig that up. What are you guys using that are running brushless? Im looking for something stable so I dont have to buy 10 props, and dogs .
    Could I use this? Will it it fit in the tube?
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...oct-oc098L-24c
    Any help is always appreicated.
    Last edited by banzilla; 08-17-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Default Cable

I use the same prop shaft, but I use a soldering iron to fix a thicker wire. I use a brake wire of a motorcicle (In the place I live, I don't have alternative) of 1.5 mlm.

Good luck!

Default Wire breaking loose

Hi guys
    You could use a stronger solder. Force 44 from Brownells is over twice the strength of Stay bright silver solder.It will melt at about 650f so a hot soldering iron will still work.
    Maybe the stub shaft could be drilled deeper too. How deep is the hole? I do this kind of thing all the time . n.h.schmidt

I use a mini torch to solder my propshafts to .098 cables.
    the first time I used my 25watt iron it did not hold but the torch does the trick
    I ran my hydromite on 3s with a 3000kv bl
    I have a mini rio on its way to me right now with the vr3 and a.047 wiredrive
    I'll keep you posted on how it works out when I switch to brushless
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.