Thread: Castle 240 Ice Ripple voltage whats bad ?

Default Castle 240 Ice Ripple voltage whats bad ?

Im setting up a Daytona/Genesis (SAW setup) Castle Ice 240 Neu 1515 2200KV 6S .....On my logging I seen 1.51v max and .20 average ripple ...I did research but found nothing about what would be considered a bad ripple voltage. My question, is my capbank doing its job or do I need to add more caps ?

I also had to question some of the readings from my logger.
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Cool

According to Castle's owner, spikes over 10% of pack voltage are not good. In a SAW setup you can get away with a bit more, but I'd say your ripple is not bad.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Tks...did not think of looking up owners manual. I got some other readings that are very questionable.

current: max-255a avg-56.1
    watts: max-5,362 avg-798 according to Neu chart max surge on my motor is 2500 watts and 1250 continuous.
    rpm: max-122,992 avg-19,551 Ive got my logger set to 4 pole any thoughts on what im doing wrong.

again tks.... DJ

I would reset to default and recalibrate. I know they can go out of whack over time. 122,000- that is what? Triple whacked!

Wattage does not surprise me for spikes.

tks bro.... DJ

I have a CF Genisis with the same ESC, and motor, using 2 - 3S/4500/65C in series with a 230 prop. I have seen my ripple as high as 1.9 and thats only when its at 1/3 throttle going around a turn, then it goes back down when your going straight and on the gas. I have the Castle "cap pack" on it. I have been checking the caps and the are warm, not hot, but warm.

I'm on another learning curve here with data logging and additional capbanks. I've got 3 of these data logging esc's and can really see the big advantage in using them for getting the ultimate set-up. This genesis is my first 80mph + SAW boat and my first using these castle esc's. I thought "Ripple" was caused when you hit full throttle and had a higher draw than what the caps could provide, not a burn off voltage at lower throttle ? My caps were around 90 so no probs there. My current set-up is using 2 65-130c 5000mah nanotechs, a s/b/t and slightly cupped 642 prop. My first attempt at modifying a prop. I know high amp draw was caused by prop running too deep and boat was NOT running wet enough causing hull to bounce side to side and do torque rolls. A CG of 35% does not seem to be right for this hull.....DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

The ripple comes from surging through wire/connector limitations. Laymans terms=It sort of 'backs up' and lets go. Short wire leads always helps, appropriate connectors always help, a cap bank close to the ESC helps as it holds voltage and helps cover up the voltage surges. Any one spot can net you ripple, AKA- a bad or weak solder joint.

I put that as simply/shortly as I could and as I understand it.

That works. I've got my capbank as close to my ESC as possible...tks bro... DJ