Thread: Announcing New CF-like Material!

Default Announcing New CF-like Material!

For everyone that is interested in new materials to work with, I came across a new material that looks like CF, flexible, and is a fraction of the cost at near the same strength. Various communities use this ballistic material for stab protection and to back ballistic plates (bulletproof).

I got the chance to show it to DiegoBoy today and will get pictures up tomorrow as long as the Honey-Do list cooperates (or can be temporarily averted via diversionary tactics ).

More to come!

What is everyone paying for CF currently? This stuff can be molded to most shapes if we have a mold and comes in as large as 4' by 4' sheets if needed.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Where can I get it?!?!?!
    I am on the verge of building a hull...
    thanks man.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

I've got the direct link to the guy that makes the stuff. I'm planning on speaking to him on Monday or Tuesday regarding all pricing, availability, sizes, etc. (the whole run down). I'm not sure how easy it is to cut yet (I shouldn't cut the sample I have as it has a different purpose, but I can't imagine its anything that a grinding wheel won't take care of )
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Another note, this material is not widely known, even in the world of ballistic materials manufacturers.

With regards to specs, I'm also going to discuss # of layers, weight, thickness, etc. I know that these specs are more important to most of us! However, I'm not going into tensile strength right now as the measurement may be subjective.

Where do we find it?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Sounds very promising!

dont just tell us about it. thats not cool
    post a link... other wize who cares! LOL
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eyekandyboats View Post
    dont just tell us about it. thats not cool
    post a link... other wize who cares! LOL

Have patience ...... Grasshopper!

Its ok you just have a short wait of 18 or 36 hrs and then will get the specs
    Failure is the First step to SUCCESS

OK, I see how it is, LOL.

I got caught up in some other stuff today. I'm working on a few pictures now. To answer the link questions, there is none. I haven't seen this stuff anywhere, and I know what I'm looking for to find it.

Standby for a few minutes while I get some work emails out for Monday morning (oh wait, that's now!).

Taking pictures...

Ok, I'm now good on my word.

From what I can tell, it looks like this material is 9 layers maybe. It's hard to get a good picture of the layers from the side, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Feedback?

Did you have a chance to talk to the "source guy"?
    how would one go about forming it into shape (epoxy?) and how thin can you go
    still maintaining the strong integrity? Does it feel solid like CF?
    It looks promising
    Last edited by Ub Hauled; 08-18-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Does it have a name ???

Ghost

is that pre-preg? {pre impregnated with resin}

Quote Originally Posted by dostacos View Post
    is that pre-preg? {pre impregnated with resin}
    Pre-preg needs to be refrigerated for any long term storage as heat sets it off....

This material looks to be awfully thick to be formed along any tight curves and without a name not even sure if the material is "sized" or treated correctly for poly or epoxy resins...
    HTH
    Ghost

I am only familiar with the stuff we have used in Prosthetics and Orthotics. It did not need to be kept cold but it does need to be vacuformed with heat not a set up for your basic home drydock

What? find a hunk of a B2 bomber somewhere?

Give it name!
    BOATS CAN FLY AND SHOULD!

OK,

I'm gonna name it something sooner than later, but here's some more info:

With regards to thickness, in the picture, the material is 1.8mm to 1.9mm thick.
    UB, the material is stiff, but is flexible (rigid, but not rock solid brittle).
    The material is high resin (30% range or so).
    The material gets pressed and does conform around edges fairly easily.

Last, any size over 48 inches in any direction has to be outsourced to another press that could be more $$$.

Next week I will discuss more specifics and get the weight by sq. inch if I can.

Any other questions you want answered while I'm at it?

Any updates on the material?
    Failure is the First step to SUCCESS

OK, I'm getting some more info now...

Here's the bottom line, it is heavier than carbon fiber. However, this material is not brittle. Think of it this way, the material is strong and rigid, but will not shatter when bent to extremes. The other difference is that has been proven to work great for any impact environment and out-performs CF, even with kevlar backing when it comes to impact.

I should have all kinds of specs on Monday from the engineering guys.
    And to answer the previous question, this material can be molded to just about an

Well, this thread is dying, for all of those that were interested, I am still actively engaged and tracking. However, the company that has this material is inundated with other business with the Government.

As soon as I have an update, I will post.

There are fake CF's sold on ebay. The homebuilt aircraft crowd (full size) found out about it and started using it, only to find it's way inferior. Hopefully that's not what this is, but it's something to be aware of if you buy "CF" from ebay.

Link to more info:

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/Wicks/P...rbon_Fiber.php

NOTE: This isn't saying anything about your material. It's probably a great item for bulletproof vests. This is just intended as a warning against buying ebay CF.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. All of us here appreciate your input and will take this caution to heart. I too have seen some of this material on Ebay, but haven't thought much of it.

The material that is being discussed in this thread is a little different. While it is not CF and doesn't claim to be, it may have applications for us FE guys.

Thanks for the comments.