Thread: 33" Whiplash re-furb

Default 33" Whiplash re-furb

I bought this custom 33" whiplash off a fellow club member. Love the lines of the boat, but yellow is not my thing, so it needed a re-furb. It's pictured here with my old warhorse Whiplash, and the ML GP335 that had to go to make room for this one....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Tapsall
    Pine Rivers Model Powerboat Club - Facebook Page
    My Gallery

So after a lot of sanding, priming and painting it looks like this! Decals are by Monojeff, top notch

Set-up will be:
    • Motor - TP Power 4060 3Y
    • ESC - Seaking 180
    • Cells - Entropy 5800 4S1P
    • Prop - 447/3 or 450/3 (more likely).

Waiting on the motor, so will be a few weeks before it hits the water. Can't wait!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Tapsall
    My Gallery

Wow. Nice boat. Looks great!!! Let us know how the TP motor goes. Considering one myself.

Is the boat any wider than a standard whip, or is there only added length? Thanks.

UH! OH!.
    Scotty & a 33" Whip. That's going to spice up the racing.
    Good to see another one out there.
    Beautiful paint job, as usual too.

great looking boat...I have to do the same sanding thing and paint my 30 inch whip...I didn't even know there was a 33 incher out there....I just bought a f/g cowelling for a whip and found it to be too big for my 30 inch boat....
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

The 33" version is a custom job by one of our club members. It is a blown up 30", not just lengthened. Hard to get, that's why I pounced on this one!

Paul, I'm looking forward to running this one, but I'll have old faithful out there again this Sunday for one last hit-out!

Ron, not sure why your cowl is too big, the orange and white boat in the second photo is my 30" Whip with the regular Whip cowl.
    Scott Tapsall
    My Gallery

I think its because it is 6 or 7 years old and they guy that built it did a custom job on the hatch....all one size front to rear and the f/g cowel is way too wide for it....thanks
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Scotty.
    That's a fairly low kv motor choice for 4s. Compared to the 2200kv motors a lot of us run.
    Are you thinking of propping down a bit, slapping 5 cells in her & running in the EB class too?
    Damiens' 33" Whip with a 1577kv motor on 6s is almost untouchable in EB. Yours would be right there with it I think.
    Just wondering???

I see the pit area cover has been erected. So no need for gazebos along the lake any more from this Sunday.

Cheers.
    Paul.

Hey Paul,

It's actually similar RPM to Mark was running for years with his 1521, so it should be fine. I did consider the 4050 3Y, but went for the 4060 instead. No plans for 5S, but I think it would go alright

The pit cover looks huge!
    Scott Tapsall
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T View Post
    So after a lot of sanding, priming and painting it looks like this! Decals are by Monojeff, top notch

Set-up will be:
    • Motor - TP Power 4060 3Y
    • ESC - Seaking 180
    • Cells - Entropy 5800 4S1P
    • Prop - 447/3 or 450/3 (more likely).

Waiting on the motor, so will be a few weeks before it hits the water. Can't wait!
    Great job on this man!
    tell me how you like those Entropy packs?
    I've heard good things about them
    thanks
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

The Entropy packs have been great, no shortage of power. I'd happily buy more.
    Scott Tapsall
    My Gallery

The 33" version is a custom job by one of our club members. It is a blown up 30", not just lengthened. Hard to get, that's why I pounced on this one!
    Outstanding!!! I think you are on the right track for a full P power set-up! The longer and wider hull will be much more stable. The little whip 20's are really on the edge with full P power. That's why I built this!!! https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...CAD&highlight=

The Entropy packs have been great, no shortage of power. I'd happily buy more.
    Thanks
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Outstanding!!! I think you are on the right track for a full P power set-up! The longer and wider hull will be much more stable. The little whip 20's are really on the edge with full P power. That's why I built this!!! https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...CAD&highlight=
    Your custom boat is very nice Shooter, I followed that thread. I've been running a normal Whip20 this year and it's been very competitive, but on the edge. Last meeting I had an awesome race against a Whip40 running 4S (no length limits here), so it's amazing what you can get to work!
    Scott Tapsall
    My Gallery

Scott,

the photos dont do that boat justice.
    Looks so AWESOME up close.

I might have to complete the reworked drawings for the 33'' hull. Ive redrawn the whole boat from what has been seen/made currently. Im currently sourcing some new timber for the tunnels and also the hydros. As soon as i get that i will cut out the 2nd test build. First one went together very nice, just a little tweaking here and there. Hopefully all mods/drawing adjustment are correct when i build it. Im sure people will like the mods. Very electric friendly.

Ive been working on a 38'' version, but the tunnels cowls Kris wanted have taken up some serious time.

Dave