Thread: "s" bend. hows it done?

Default "s" bend. hows it done?

im getting ready to install my stuffing tube on my fc cheetah single.

S or single bend?

ive been digging and digging and it appears the S has some kind of math and logic behind it.

i understand how to make a single bend but what are the preferred methods?

im guessing do the first bend at the collet then at the strut.

thanks people.

Cool

Leave the tubing straight for at least 2" from both the collet and the strut. Make the bends as gentle as possible, each with the largest radius you can make. BTW regardless of any "logic", many/most of the fastest FE boats run a J bend.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Leave the tubing straight for at least 2" from both the collet and the strut. Make the bends as gentle as possible, each with the largest radius you can make. BTW regardless of any "logic", many/most of the fastest FE boats run a J bend.

could you post an example of a j bend please. thx

op, i think your overthinking it or worrying about it too much. the cheeatah is a great boat to go around a race course. great boat. But straight line speed (as i found out myself after everyone on here warned me beforehand) is not really what its meant for...if thats where your going with this thread....trying to get the most speed from it. if you do like fluid said (id listen to what he says over me anyway) and just bend it gently to get it from point "a" to point "b" youll be just fine. good luck and looking forward to seeing your build run for the first time (as im sure you are too!)
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

thanks alot people....

well my real concern is binding. i'm totally aware this hull isnt designed for saw.

so are you guys using thick gloves to handle the hot tubes?

It's called a "Z" bend and ya can buy tools to make them.
    Been using them for 30 years. http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr8025.html
    T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    It's called a "Z" bend and ya can buy tools to make them.
    Been using them for 30 years. http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr8025.html
    T.C.
    The j or s bend is nothing to do with bending wire, its the bends used in brass stuffing tubes (K&S brass tube).

K&S tubing can be bent easily with bare hands, no need to heat or anneal it. The "secret" is to use a longer piece of tubing than you need, after bending just cut off the un-needed ends. I can bend 3/16" tubing into a 6" circle without it collapsing, the larger tubing we use for stuffing tubes (1/4" or 5/16") bends fine too. Forget all the rubbish about filling the tubing with sand or heating it - absolutely not necessary. Just go slowly and you'll be fine.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Hey ! It was early in the morning for me, "J"................."Z"?
    I cant be acountable for myself that early. lol
    T.C.

yup. bent it without heat or salt etc... thanks people