Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, another Catamaran Build!

Ok, here are the goods, I tested them, they work without a pistick. The quality seems to be really good. I think I am definatly going to need to add some extra bracing once I get things situated, because I think these are going to rip and tear things up with all their power. I don't think that the esc has any kind of programming, so I am going to need to get a LVC device so I don't kill my lipos. Also the motors have a flat spot already made on them for the motor coupler, over all I'm pretty satisfied so far, well see how they hold up under load, but you really for the price who can complain?

Oh best of all I got my free gifts!!!! In the ebay listing it says you get a free gift, like that makes me want to buy their product over someone elses lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Twin power =

Ok, thoughts on motor mounts. I think I may just epoxy the mount in place instead of trying to get fancy and make it removable, I should be able to acces the motor screws so no big deal.

Do you think that the fan will be sufficient on cooling the motor, or should I add water cooling to the mount? I know the aluminum would be the best for heat dissipation, but I don't have the fancy stuff to machine aluminum to acomidate for water cooling so here are my thoughts for materials,

Aluminum plate
    carbon fiber
    brass with a tube soldered to it for water cooling

At this point I am leaning toward the carbon fiber, any thoughts?
    Twin power =

I just epoxied in some 1/8 lite ply for my mount. and I am using air cooling only but have ducts for outside air.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Do you have any pics of your mount?
    Twin power =

check my thread I don't think I have a good shot of it. I just used 1/8 ply and drilled the four mounting holes and the center shaft hole, then epoxied it right to the bulkhead.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

after looking at you pics, I noticed that my motors are going to be much further forward than yours. You may end up having to add weight the the front.

I didn't notice your mounts until you mentioned it, I think I am going to do something similar. Your right about the weight. I love your ducts by the way.
    Twin power =

I have made my motor mounts out of carbon fiber. I added a hole to let some air flow through the mount, I didn't want to put too many holes and make the mount weak. I have glued the mounts in, and test fit the motors. So far so good. Next is to mount the stuffing tubes, then finially start to make the top.
    Twin power =

looks good

Thanks.
    In the last pic, the bulkhead got a little crooked when I was gluing, but the motors are straight. Pictures sometimes makes things look bad. In the pic with the mounts glued in without the motors, it looks much better then the pic shows.

Time to take the renegade motor coupler out to use to mock up the tube till steve gets some more couplers in stock again.
    Twin power =

where did you get your cf plate

I got it from here
    http://www.protechcomposite.com/servlet/StoreFront

This is what I bought
    http://www.protechcomposite.com/serv...t-panel/Detail

I chose to use the CF because I think that CA and epoxy adhear to it better then brass or aluminum, and it is easy to work with, just messy, wear a mask, the dust is not good.
    Twin power =

I took the coupler out of the renegade, only to find out that the shaft is not 3mm, I think it is 1/8 or 3.17mm. I measured 1/8 with my ruler, so I have to wait till I get some funds to buy the couplers and other misc stuff.

So I couldn't wait untill I get the couplers to install the shaft tubes, so I installed the rear decking, leaving enough room to install the tubes (barely lol). My hatch will be nice and wide. Also I have included various angles of the motors, keep in mind that there is a lot of dust on everything. I beveled the edges of the main stringers so that the motors will be able to come out and back in with out any trouble. Everything is rough sanded, I need to true everything up, and finial sand, but that is after I figure out how to do the struts. I will work on the hatch next, but I am going to take a break for a while. So far I am happy with how it has turned out, not too bad with limited tools and funds. I need to buy some batteries and servo though so that I can get the finial layout of the electronics. I suspect that if I need more forward COG, I can put one batt through the bulkhead hole up into the bow area.
    Twin power =

Ok, I started the hatch, pretty plain right now, but I will add a offshore look to it.
    Twin power =

Well you have made some progress very good!!!! I like the carbon fiber mounts they are nice!! Did you epoxy them? or just use CA? Epoxy sticks fantastically to that stuff (that is one of the methods the aircraft industry uses.
    Peter Eells; Fun, and Helping others To Have Fun!!!
    http://rcboatsbypetere.blogspot.com/
    RC.Boats.by.Pete@gmail.com

I used CA to tack them in place, and epoxy to secure them.
    Twin power =

can't wait to see what you have planned for your canopy

I was counting on you for that idea, lol jk. Well thats about all I can work on for a while, out of funds at the moment, so there is a lot more sanding and shaping that will take place. Any updates on yours?
    Twin power =

my boat is just sitting as I have too much going on for school right now

Well at least you have a good excuse lol jk. I want to go back to school. Not sure I want to be a mechanic for another 20 years. I think I want to be a engineer, computer, mechanical, electrical.
    Twin power =

I don't have much progress to report. I did remove the tube that was for the steering linkage, and I reversed it so that the boot will be inside right next to the servo. I did this because I think it will make for a cleaner, nicer looking transome. I will post some pics when I get some more work done.

I have yet to start on the hatch shape. Its hard to make something symetrical. I will have to carfeully plan it out the best I can.

I also have a thought for my hatch, I was thinking of putting it on hinges, so that it will swing open, and have magnets to secure it closed in the front, and have some 1/18 rc car shocks on the hinges to keep it open, and when closed past a certin point actualy keep the hatch closed. I find that I am always droping my hatch and such. It would be removable from the hinges in case of more then battery changes.
    *keep in mind that is will not be a substiute for hatch tape, merely a "cool" factor. If it gets too complicated, I will just scrap the idea, and keep it simple. Any thoughts on why or why not, or any about anything?
    Twin power =

Here is some updated pics. I started on the hatch cockpit by making a symetrical cut out base template, then traced it onto a peice of styrofoam, then shaped it to where you see it now. I drew on a window and some ducts just to give it some character to see if it looks ok, let me know what you think of it, good or bad. It is only rough shaped, and not glued.
    Twin power =

Looking good that is exactly what I had in mind as well

Good, I didn't want to secure it if people thought it was funny looking, I think it looks pretty scale. I compared my boat to a racing cat in a mag that took 2 pages, the length was close to my cat so I measured the length of the cockpit to give me a ballpark size, so I didn't make it out of proportion.

I saved the template I made for it if you want it Avanti, pm me if so, I can send it no prob.
    Twin power =

I have been really busy with the holidays, in fact still a little busy, but I have some updates to report, I don't have any pics now, but will update them later.

I have glued the cockpit to the hatch, and used some balsa filler to smooth it out the transition, it is only roughed in for now, the whole boat will get the final once over once everything is situated in place.

I got my 1/8 to .130 coupler from my other boat that is still waiting for paint repair from my dad when I visited for holidays, and I confirmed the actual shaft size for my motors which is 1/8 (3.17?) not 3mm. So now I can mock up my flex tubes, but I noticed my teflon liner is the wrong size for .130 cable, so more waiting till funds are appropiate.

In the mean time, my hatch had warped slightly once the glue dried on the cockpit, making the rear of it not sit flush with the deck, so I had to make some releif cuts in the hatch to make the ark match the rest of the boat, then filled in the cut with balsa scrap and then filled with balsa filler, and of course some sanding.

I will be soon faced with the largest hangup, which will be the stingers, I want them to be adjustable, so I'm not bending the tubes and risk breaking the glue in the event of a angle change.
    Twin power =

sounds great, I have not done a thing on mine mainly because parts have not come in so I have no real motivation to finish it.

After fiddling with the stuffing tube, I realize why avanti opted to put his motors further forward, I have found out that the availabe space is really short for my needed bends, so I may switch to .098 cable. My tube will have a "s" bend in it, If I would have thought further ahead, I would have angled the motors down slightly to reduce the angle. Oh well, no pics yet, kind of waiting to buy some tubes and teflon tubing to mess with it some more.

I think my next project will definatly be a fiberglass pre made hull, this project is turning out to be a lot of work.
    Twin power =

you can still angle your motors by putting washers on the bottom mounting screws to wedge it out

Ok, I was thinking of this for a strut, not exactly what I was wanting, but I think it will be the easiest way to do what I was wanting, and it will extend my cable lenght to hopefully reduce some of the angle.

Avanti, I was thinking the same thing, till I realized my motor screws are on horizontal, I'll have to add the other mounting screws as I only have 2 for now per motor, I may be able to use all 4 mounting screws with the washers per motor, but I am concerned that when I tightnen the screws since the motor will be at a angle, the screws will gouge into the carbon, what do you think? Once I get the correct teflon, and a tubing bender for the larger tubes, hopefully I can make some nice mandrel bends, or at least smooth bends, and see how much friction is there.

here are some pics, let me know what you think, good or bad.
    Twin power =

not sure about those struts, but you have to do what works.
    you could make some cf wedges for the motor side, and wedged washers for the screw side.

The hull and hatch look AWESOME! that first pic with the side view is great looks like a big Skater.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast