Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, another Catamaran Build!

Bonewar, thanks, I will hopefully finish it soon, I can't wait. Your cat is looking pretty nice to btw.

I'm gonna have to thicken up that transom, you can see where it is thin by the corners, maybe I lay some fiberglass cloth on the inside.
    Twin power =

looking good I am trying to build up some motivation for mine if I can find some time
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

I just can not believe how bad photos make the hardware look, GUYS that hardware has a see yourself shine to it it has been highly polished and photos do not do it justice (I just thought I would share that) so if you guys like it in the pictures in person would be awesome!!! Wait until you see my next build (twins)
    Peter Eells; Fun, and Helping others To Have Fun!!!
    http://rcboatsbypetere.blogspot.com/
    RC.Boats.by.Pete@gmail.com

Small update, just bought 2 motor/esc combos. 3600kv motors and 30amp escs. oh and the best part of all, a free gift!!!!! here's a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=006

3600 is a little more then I wanted, but I couldn't make up my mind, I wanted the intregrated fan and the esc with it. my other choice was like 3800kv, which I think may be too hot. But maybe by having 2 motors pushing the boat will not be as much strain on the motors then on one motor. I can even run with a 2 cell pack and still be fast. Most likely I will run 2 3s in parrallel, hoping for extended runtimes. Oh, and I can use the 3mm to .130 coupler from OSE. I just need to buy 2 motor couplers, 1 reverse cable and 2 3/16 to 1/8 stubs. Then I can mount the drive lines and finially cover the top.

Speaking of covering the top, any thoughts on mahogany vener for a final finish? I was thinink it may be cool to make the boat look like something that was built back when boats had beautiful wood finish.

If not that, I have bright orange, and orange red metallic, color change from magenta to gold.
    Twin power =

looks bad @$$ keep up the good work
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

Thanks.

I just tried my 3/16 shaft in a peice of brass tube (I think 7/32) it fits very well, just like a lead teflon bearing fits it. Anyone run it like that before, straight in the brass tube w no bearing?
    Twin power =

I forgot to ask, would it be a good idea to add material to the rear steps, making them sit "deeper in the water so to speak? Like ride pads.
    Twin power =

you mean make them flat like the majority of the r/c hull out there?
    I thought about it but I am going to try them sharp like a full scale boat first and see what happens.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

I mean if you were to put a ruler across the steps on one side, they are all even, but make the last one larger then the rest. I covered all the steps with 1/64 ply, so the last one add 1/16 balsa to the covering to make it larger then the rest if that makes sence.
    Twin power =

No you would not want to do that it would defeat the purpose of the steps.
    The steps on this design are more about letting air into the tunnel for lift.
    If you were to make any of the steps taller it would be the front one then the boat would run like a hydro.

Ok, thanks, glad I didn't do anything to them. I can't wait till my motors get here.

So living in florida, you must see lots of awsome boats. One of these days I'll have my own real boat.
    I work with a guy that is from florida, we are MB techs.

Did you make any progress on your cat?
    Twin power =

not much progress on mine but I did pick up all my drive hardware.

Not much progress to report, I am still waiting for my motor/esc's. Hopefully I will see them on monday. But I did rip off the 1/64 ply I had on the center section, and used balsa instead, it will make a better transition to the sides where it curves up level with the top deck/sides. It looks a little better then what the pic shows, still lots of work and sanding to be done, but I can't go much further till I get the motors. I also bought a durbro tube bender, it makes very nice bends, so once I place the motors, I can then start the water cooling plumbing.

I need to buy a better digital camera, but that will wait till this build is over.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Twin power =

looks great.

if u where to make any part of that hull thicker it would be the center(betweebn the sponsons) my dad did that to his bopat and it lifts the boat out of the water more and it will decrease porpois

snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

I'm thinking I may lay some fiberglass on the inside of the center. I'm interested on seeing how the center tub trim tab works on advanti's build.
    Twin power =

well, I just noticed the other day that the vender on ebay that I bought my motors from is no longer a registed user on ebay. So, I will give it a few more days, and if they don't show up, I will file a dispute.
    Twin power =

A mod VP is TOTALLY different than a cat hull

who did you get the motors from asa

A seller called force-control
    Twin power =

max this hull is a true cat. your dads boat is a mod vp hull as avanti said. these are two totally different animals. Adding a center sponson on a cat is usally not a good idea, unless there is a motor there. Even then, the center pod isn't a full running surface but just an insert that smooths the water flow to the center drive.

Ace this build is looking good, i am curious to see what happens with your boat and its handling since you closed the steps off. talking with avanti tonight, i think is really going to depend on how much of your boat runs out of the water.

Another thing to think about, if you were to add more material to the front running surface to make it sit deeper in the water, you are basically putting a huge rocker in the hull which is going make the boat a bit lighter in the bow most likely.

never heard of force control, I hope you get your motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti27offshore View Post
    never heard of force control, I hope you get your motors.
    Yeah me too, I found another seller with the same identical listing for the same motors, free gift and all lol. I emailed him to see if he was the same seller, but no response yet. I did file a complaint with paypal.
    Twin power =

Quote Originally Posted by obrien View Post
    Ace this build is looking good, i am curious to see what happens with your boat and its handling since you closed the steps off. talking with avanti tonight, i think is really going to depend on how much of your boat runs out of the water.

Another thing to think about, if you were to add more material to the front running surface to make it sit deeper in the water, you are basically putting a huge rocker in the hull which is going make the boat a bit lighter in the bow most likely.
    I will leave it as is for now, hopefully I didn't hurt my self by closing them off like that. I was not really sure how they should be, we don't see too many real offshore boats here in nor-cal.

Do you think they are better then not having steps at all? Don't steps serve 2 pourposes? 1 to reduce drag/less friction, and 2 to direct air to the tub to promote lift ?
    Twin power =

well, I finially got a tracking number after I filed my paypal complaint, I cross tracked it from hong kong to us here in USA and it left NY on the 21st, so anyday now!!!
    Twin power =

the steps have nothing to do with getting air to the tunnel. The steps are there to ventilate the running surface, which reduces the wetted surface. Like I said before, give it a shot and see what happens. It may not work, but it may work great. Its a small boat with alot of power, so it may not really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ace028 View Post
    well, I finially got a tracking number after I filed my paypal complaint, I cross tracked it from hong kong to us here in USA and it left NY on the 21st, so anyday now!!!
    That's great news. I'm glad you were not scammed.

Yeah, I may just be too impatient, but the fact that the guy was no longer registered worried me. I have been scamed one time too many! I am relieved that it is on its way accoring to USPS.

Here are some closer pics of the steps, let me know what you think. In theory, why would these steps not be as good as deeper steps? is it only that these are really half a step (cut diagnaly from back side face of step) if you know what I mean. Hopefully they will be ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Twin power =

USPS misrouted the package, so the waiting continues............
    Twin power =

Yes, I find more often then not that most people cannot properly perform their jobs.

At least it is on it's way. I have not done any work on my boat lately since I have a lot of things due for school.

Do you have any updates worth a photo?

Well, its weird, yesterday it said left from NY, and today it said misrouted, and guess what, it was in my mail today!!! You nailed it avanti, people must not be able to do their jobs right. But I'm pretty happy I finially got it, just need to make sure it works.

I don't really have any updates at all, but I will take some pics later showing the new goods. Looks like I have work to do now this weekend.
    Twin power =

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast