Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, another Catamaran Build!

Ive bought some stuff from these guys in the past few weeks, nice quality and very quick shipping. got both orders in about 7 days from purchase
    an RC rock crawler lost in a sea of boat parts.........

Yup that Looks like it should do the job
    Peter Eells; Fun, and Helping others To Have Fun!!!
    http://rcboatsbypetere.blogspot.com/
    RC.Boats.by.Pete@gmail.com

Do you have a link to Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by peells View Post
    Do you have a link to Joe?
    http://solingerrc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti27offshore View Post
    here is my power plant, notice the fan on the end bell, they should throw some serious air around the hull. the e-fan is a good idea, but if you keep your run times down heat should not be a real issue. are you going to duct the fan toward the motor so the air is forced over the can and not forward into the sponson?
    Yeah, I had planed to duct it tward the motor, and since the motor mount doen't cover the holes in the endbell, some air would be forced inside the motor as well, but If I get some like yours I would not need to have a electric fan.
    Twin power =

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    On the MHZ boats, I use the supplied MHZ hardware. Very nice stuff. On the BBY hull, I am using the "New" Solinger micro rudder. Very nice stuff from Joe.

With regards to cooling the ESC, I just don't have the room in the tiny hull for a fan. It has been coming in at about 145º or so after a long run, and that is about the limit. I have a similar-in-size Schulze 18.97FW that may go in that hull if (or when) the Chinese ESC fails.
    I was thinking that on the chinese ecs, I can take off the shrink wrap and make a cooling plate, and use some heat transfer grease between the fets. On my renegade the CC25 one gets pretty warm, it has blistered paint on the side of the hull a little bit.
    Twin power =

minicatracing has the out runner coolers as well
    $18 on this page
    http://www.minicatracingusa.com/jollymotorparts.html
    Last edited by Avanti; 08-17-2008 at 12:47 PM.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

advanti, thanks for the info.

I have put a small ledge right behind the step, for the skin to adhear to. Then I covered the steps, and finialy trimed and rough sanded the overlaping edges. The step ledges still need a little work, but its starting to look like a cat. I need to get some more ply and a ca glue tip.

Twin power =

I have done some work to the steps, I trued them up, and faced the backside of the step with 1/64 ply, there is still more work to be done on them, but they are close, and the hull sits perfectly flat on the table, no warp to it. I guess the steps are suppose to be stepped at the sides instead of blended to the hull side like I did, I'm not sure that it will effect the performance, but I am not an expert.

Twin power =

You still did a good job on them

The pic don't do justice to the straightness, once I get off my lazy butt, and get some ply, I can finish the bottom, and concentrate on powering it.
    Twin power =

Im thinking that they might actually work better on this size of rig, the closed on the outer side of the sponson might just trap an air pocket in there and help with lift
    an RC rock crawler lost in a sea of boat parts.........

looking good ace
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Thanks. Hope to see a build thread for your soon.
    Twin power =

Finally got some more ply to finish the cat. Here I have covered the center bottom, and have sprayed spar varnish on the inside to protect the wood in case it gets wet, I will probably do one more coat of varnish, then I will start triming and sanding the top for skinning, and concentrate on powering it.

Twin power =

You should sand the tops of the wood where the glue is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by peells View Post
    You should sand the tops of the wood where the glue is going to be.
    That is what I ment above about sanding and triming.
    Twin power =

I covered the center portion, and have added the supports for the side skin, and the top skin. Still more sanding to be done.

Twin power =

I hate sanding

Boat looks really good. Id have to agree about the sanding it sucks.

That is a given, that is why we have to do it well, because it makes us better than everyone else....................cough, gasp choke, LOL

good news I have my plans and all my electronics, now to make some dust fly. I still need hardware, but I have some ideas on homemade units. (my thread will start soon)
    Got any updates ACE? your dad has pulled way ahead now......

my build will take a while classes start tonight (I have school mon, tues, & weds night)

Not really any updates, I filled some gaps with balsa filler and have to sand them smooth, I also sanded a little bit of the excess from the side skins. Now I am just held up at the motor part, I want to get that figured out before I put the top on so I can plan for the size of the hatch for easy motor removal, not impossible motor removal. I am waiting on some $$$ so probably no updates untill the 8th or 16th or so.

Cant wait to see your build thread, hope you have some good ideas for the struts? I am trying to figure out what to use, I would like to have stingers, but I will probably have to make my own.
    Twin power =

anything going on here? mine is on hold due to school and work keeping me busy

Mine is on hold also, I have been broke lately, and need to fix my car (I work on them all day, so I put off working on mine) I hope to make some progress by the end of the month.

I did glue a couple small blocks of styrofoam into the sponsons, thats about it. I am trying to resist the urge to just cover the top before I get the motors in and mounted.
    Twin power =

Money, Money, Money, Mooooney, MONEY!!!!

any news?

Not yet, I was hoping to buy some stuff this weekend, but I just put my car on the rack at work and checked it out, its in bad shape, I guess thats what happens at 250k, so I'm trying to decide about fixing my poor honda, or selling it or just getting my priorities straight and finish the boat lol.
    Twin power =

Well, I got the rudder my dad made me, and I have mocked it up, and I couldn't wait, so I covered the sponson tips. I chose to use balsa because I can sand the edges so they are a soft edge for the top part of the boat, of course all bottom edges are sharp. I still have a lot of work to do, its still in "rough form" right now. Eventually I will buy the motor combos so that I can finish up the hull.

By the way, like my new method of storing my boats in the last pic, well at least till the wife sees it lol. The boom was a project for physics class in highschool, where we mounted it and hung 5 gallon bucket on the end and filled it with sand. Mine won, and went to take 1st place at a science olimpiad. It held the target weight without breaking, I think it was about 20lbs.
    Twin power =

Talking

ACE028 i just read throw your thread on this little cat,!! AWESOME MAN !!keep up the good work. Dad's hardware looks awesome. I've got to build me one of these baby's . cheers bonewar

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast