Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MGM esc's?

Default MGM esc's?

Why doesnt ose carry MGM controllers? they seem to be the cream of the crop and Id have one if it werent like pulling teeth trying to find/order one. I was looking on their website, and they have some nice stuff. They also have some nice looking but affordable controllers. They also come waterproof.....a must in my eyes for a boat. Whats the holdup on stocking them here on ose?
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Rocketcityracing.com will order them if they don't have stock. They are anothor very good vendor with reasonable prices and excellent communication. I've purchased 2 mgm's from them and will the next time I need another. Brianw is a member here and runs rocketcityracing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Rocketcityracing.com will order them if they don't have stock. They are anothor very good vendor with reasonable prices and excellent communication. I've purchased 2 mgm's from them and will the next time I need another. Brianw is a member here and runs rocketcityracing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Ive purchased from them before but took about a month to get my part. by then i had already found it somewhere else and had the boat going. i prefer to do my business with ose when possible and kintec if ose does not have it. i hope that steve would consider stocking at least a couple. I think he'd sell them.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Why doesnt ose carry MGM controllers? they seem to be the cream of the crop and Id have one if it werent like pulling teeth trying to find/order one. I was looking on their website, and they have some nice stuff. They also have some nice looking but affordable controllers. They also come waterproof.....a must in my eyes for a boat. Whats the holdup on stocking them here on ose?
    I agree that they are very good.

I've heard there were some warranty issues. This came from a friend of mine that was selling them. But this was some time ago. So maybe Ill look into carrying a couple of models.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I agree that they are very good.

I've heard there were some warranty issues. This came from a friend of mine that was selling them. But this was some time ago. So maybe Ill look into carrying a couple of models.
    That would be awesome! If you think about it....us guys that need something heavy duty with a high amp rating don't have many choices at all on a quality controller. This would be great!

That would be awesome! If you think about it....us guys that need something heavy duty with a high amp rating don't have many choices at all on a quality controller. This would be great!
    I'm looking into a pair of either the TMM 28026-3 for Race Boats X2-SERIES or the TMM 25035-3 for Race Boats X2-SERIES
    HPR 115 - Lenher 2240/7, AS26- 150BL EVO ll esc's 92.3mph

KBB sells them.

Quote Originally Posted by worriedsick4u View Post
    KBB sells them.
    I wish Keith updated his site with all the things he sells... so that I could actually know what he has in inventory :)

The one challenge with selling the MGM controllers is the variety of options. You have three different voltage ranges, 6 current ranges and a host of other varieties like double battery wires, water protected versus water proof, and warranty levels.

There are a couple popular sizes and options that could be stocked. I would recommended the following:

12026 with double battery leads and WP protection (specifically for ltd motors in mind)
    28026 with double battery leads and WP protection
    25035 with double battery leads and WP protection
    14063 with double battery leads and WP protection

I would not carry the larger 250 and 400A 63V versions as those users tend to need specific options for packaging.

I have had my fair share of issues with the controllers, but mostly related to firmware updates. The controllers have been very "safe" and as of yet I have not had a failure resulting in a crispy ESC.

Just my 2 cents.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Great Controller's good luck with warranty. A good friend on this forum had a large controller that blew on him. (did not over amp it.) They gave him a good discount on a new unit but our Idea of a warranty and Europe's must be two different things.

Tyler has provided some very good recommendations. The model I see users use the most is as follows. The only other option I would recommend to be listed as a special order is additional factory-installed caps. I don't know that many of us that use double power conductor wires unless we are running 2p or higher voltage with larger connectors.

TMM 28026-3 for Race Boats X2-SERIES LITE
    - ON/OFF switch
    - WP version (increased protection against water)
    - standard power conductors
    - design with water-cooled heatsinks

As a final thought, the following two items are required for programming and reading data logs:
    - USBCOM4 - device for controller connection with PC
    - CC_11 - connecting cable between controller and USBCOM4

As far as everything else, including all of the various options, Steven has been great about custom orders for any of the manufacturers he carries.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Tyler has provided some very good recommendations. The model I see users use the most is as follows. The only other option I would recommend to be listed as a special order is additional factory-installed caps. I don't know that many of us that use double power conductor wires unless we are running 2p or higher voltage with larger connectors.

TMM 28026-3 for Race Boats X2-SERIES LITE
    - ON/OFF switch
    - WP version (increased protection against water)
    - standard power conductors
    - design with water-cooled heatsinks

As a final thought, the following two items are required for programming and reading data logs:
    - USBCOM4 - device for controller connection with PC
    - CC_11 - connecting cable between controller and USBCOM4

As far as everything else, including all of the various options, Steven has been great about custom orders for any of the manufacturers he carries.

I would say we don't need an on/off switch really. But everything else I agree. I like the double power conductors .(basically two wires in stead of one skinny wire)

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post

I have had my fair share of issues with the controllers, but mostly related to firmware updates. The controllers have been very "safe" and as of yet I have not had a failure resulting in a crispy ESC.

Just my 2 cents.

TG

I'm gonna see if I can update this one, maybe it'll start working again. Didn't think of that.

Just kidding!

Just kidding!

Can I make a guess to say that perhaps the wires to the battery were too long?
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Can I make a guess to say that perhaps the wires to the battery were too long?

They were double wires, cut short. (6) 1000uf 50v cap bank. 8mm bullets to short 8g wire going to batt connectors. The lehner motor fried is what caused it

That makes sense. Thanks for sharing the insight.

Steve , I too would like to try an MGM esc . hope you can get some. Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by darryl whitman View Post
    Steve , I too would like to try an MGM esc . hope you can get some. Darryl
    Darryl, I created this thread a couple years ago.....when I knew no better. Why do I say that? Well after running a couple mgm's I've found they aren't completely necessary to have. Nice controllers no doubt, but quite expensive. You want a super nice high end build and just want the best looking controller, then this may be it. The problem I have with them however is if you have a failure then you have to deal with sending it back to Germany. Which is a pain and a little expensive. I think swordfish, seaking and soon to be castle fill these shoes well anyway. I do still have one left and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm scared to run it to be honest but I'll have to get over that fear I guess. I have a nice v hull I'm building that I may install it in anyway, keep an eye out for the new sword fish x series. They look pretty nice.

How are the SF X's ? anyone try those yet?

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    How are the SF X's ? anyone try those yet?
    So far Ive only have had one failure, it was a 300 from the first batch. Since then we are on our 4th batch or so and they have been great. I've been using a 220 X and love it, the data logging is awesome and it runs in cool in my p mono.
    Steven Vaccaro

Are you expecting more to come in Steve?
    Noisy person

Jeesum Pete’s. I haven’t even run my boat yet I finished months ago. Just haven’t been to the lake since my almost drowning episode. Gun shy I guess. That messed me up. We going camping this weekend so I’m gonna try and get a maiden on three boats I’ve finished. My 27” cat has a sf220 in it. I’ll let you guys know how I like it.

I’m sure that episode knocked your enthusiasm back! I think as long as you keep that sense of fear in you, you will be all right. And in time, that fear will grow to a very healthy respect for the water. I nearly drowned body surfing in Hawaii when I was a teenager... I was scared out of my gord to go back! But my love for the water overcame my fear, and a was left with a huge amount of respect. Water is a fascinating thing, beautiful and alluring! But water is bi-polar, at one point is your best friend, never ending fun, and the next, it’s trying to kill you! You just have to keep aware of that...

Yea, I’ve upped my training and cardio since. I was training 3-4 times a week. No cardio. Now I’m training 5-6 times a week and cardio 2-3

I once ran out navel deep to get a boat. It was my first actual race boat. It was going down. I panicked. When I got to it is when I realized the water was in the high 40's.

I have 9 boats to have ready for Atlanta. Might be time for me to give another SF a try.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Are you expecting more to come in Steve?
    About 2 weeks.
    Steven Vaccaro

I've been thinking hard on one of these lately myself

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    About 2 weeks.
    I'll be watching.
    Noisy person

well, is Mr. V going to carry these lil jewels? i just came across MGM recently and searched here to find this thread. i'd like a few for some future builds and some ARTR's.
    What better place than to purchase these from OSE i'd liked know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast