Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe boating discussion.

Default Safe boating discussion.

Hey fellas,

In lite of recent threads I thought we should talk about it.

What are your thoughts in general, and what can we do to make sure we don't loose sites.

Where do you run?
    Are other people impacted by your hobby?
    How do you handle yourself?

Thanks,
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Disqualified from the day's racing if you hit wildlife in one of the clubs in our area.
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

It is serious Jim.
    I had to go way back but I remember what it's like to loose a site, and this was a perceived problem. We treated the water fowl with respect.
    The ducks were on the bank because that's where the bread and popcorn was.
    It doesn't matter though. Once you're gone, you're gone. Like I said ''flies at their picnic".
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ics&highlight=
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 06-17-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Sure I like to think I operate my RC vehicles in a safe manner. But 90% of my runtime is on a track, and being fairly new to boats.
    I thought I had the bases covered with the usual common sense rules like,.
    No people in the water.
    No birds on the water.
    Not running it close to shore.

But this past Sunday I was out for a run, made some nice passes. Started to push the boat a little harder and like an idiot I pushed to hard.
    When it blew over and landed, it was about 60-70 feet from shore. The problem is, that I would have probably held on for another second.
    Lesson learned, I was taking public safety for granted. I won't make that mistake twice!
    Last edited by Livewire121; 06-17-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    HPR 115 - Lenher 2240/7, AS26- 150BL EVO ll esc's 92.3mph

I think we should treat the water, the wildlife and the other patrons with respect. Running boats at these venues is a privilege and not a right. And as such, violator should be reprimanded (ticket) or in extreme cases, prohibited if they fail to follow posted rules. If you see someone who is not treating the area with respect, then remind them. But it is not our job to enforce it. Notify the correct personnel of continued abuse. Of course accidents can and do happen. But do your best to avoid them. Sometimes turtles surface at the wrong time, birds get curious, someone decides to cast a line, or you may hit an iceberg. Bottom line, practice safe habits and be aware of your surroundings.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

After our last incident with water fowl our club enacted a water fowl rule. If the birds are on the course the heat gets called and we run it later in the day. It's not in our bylaws but is discussed at every drivers meeting. I really really like the "hit a bird and DQ'd for the day". For next year I'll be pushing for that.

At Shadow lake we also have a deer crossing rule because we had that at the apex between turns 2 and 3 last summer. Cute little fawn. Swimming at N1 speed. haha Ridiculous. Someone has pictures.

A couple I've seen or done.
    Standing in the water running a boat. Crazy.
    Coming back to shore too fast. Guilty. Not one of my finer moments. That was on my personal bad behavior list.

Anything that makes the locals uncomfortable I'm avoiding. I wasn't always that smart. Another example/opportunity to learn from my stupidity.

I used to run on a private lake that was electric only. No gas motors. There were electric pontoons and some canoe and that's about it. Peaceful. Early morning.......the loons are....um.....loon..ing?..........frogs a creek'n. A thin mist on the water. Story book beautiful. Can ya picture it?...................here I come blasting across the lake at 60 through the mist with a 43" Aeromarine Cat. Such a jack wagon. That's on my personal "I'm an idiot" list too. Don't be an idiot.

At the next association meeting they were talking speed limits. I quit running there even though I was part owner.
    Noisy person

The origin of the deer crossing rule...

Michigan Cup 2013 196.jpg

Running at my cottage lake, my biggest issue is freaking out every dog within a mile. It doesn't help that the best times to run are 8am and 8pm while the neighbours are trying to enjoy the peace and quiet of the waterfront. Not much they can complain about in terms of the noise (I could be firing up my 225 ProXS), but my conscience does kick in nonetheless.

I do sport boating, that's all I do, but I am extremely lucky to have the facility, yes, I am in So. Cal, I go to Legg Lake. ( Namba 1054) Since most of the time I am alone there, and if there are water fowl out there, I will do a slow circle around and give them plenty of time to move away. Heck, I have drained more than 50% of my batteries on numerous occasions. I am always aware of the watchful eyes of passersby, regardless whether they are amused with this hobby or disgusted with this endeavor, I remind myself that it is the latter group of people that I need to set a good example and I make sure that I have eye contact with them and acknowledge my respect for the wildlife.
    The site, is always and foremost on my mind 24/7. I take vacation in the Teton National Park every year and I like to bring a big mono to one of the spectacular lakes there, I can't tell you on how many occasions I aborted my dream of running my boat because I suspected the people there at that moment might object to it. Last year I came home with fully charged batteries, lol....
    I guess I grew up in a country where there is not much respect for individual rights and therefore I am particularly sensitive to that and if anything, I like to accord the respect to other people first and then I feel comfortable to let them learn what I do. I am writing this not to self aggrandize but like above said, it is a privilege but not a right, just like driving on public road.
    Last edited by tlandauer; 06-18-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Cool

Waterfowl are a common problem around FE boats. At the 2001 NAMBA FE Nats in Alaska we were running at a lake on a University campus with lots of well-meaning young folks. They called the USFWS on us at least twice a day complaining that we were killing birds. Of course that wasn't the case, apparently they felt that a bird 100 yards off the course was in danger. After multiple trips to the lake and seeing nothing to worry about, one USFWS officer suggested that we buy a sack of cracked corn and have someone feed the ducks at the far end of the lake. This worked like a charm and was even sanctioned by the Fed bird cops. We have since used the same trick in Texas with good success. It's relatively cheap and it does keep the birds away from the course.

Last edited by Fluid; 06-18-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Not sure if any other ponds have this but for us at our home pond the only way you get access to it is by permit. It's closed pond with keyed access. You can't just show up and use the pond for anything you want. You can't even fish the pond. Although we see people jump the fence all the time. They're technically trespassing. We provide the City of Shelby additional site insurance through NAMBA for just in case. You just never know. For the things you can't anticipate. Remember my turtle example? They require that anyone participating with us on the pond be a NAMBA member or that they purchase single event insurance. Again, just in case.

Then when we are running at the pond, if a spectator wants to watch we allow them inside the gate but we give them direction as to where they should and shouldn't be. Complies with "Reasonable and proper provisions will be made for crowd control and for the safety of other members and spectators" from the rule book. That rule is terribly vague. I suspect that was deliberate but I also suspect it was intended to encourage some common sense. These are little projectiles with spinning razor sharp props and ginsu quality turn fins. Why risk it? The rule was intended (I think) to make us members realize that the safety of others is our responsibility as a model boaters.
    Noisy person

We lost one nice site here in south western NC because one resident complained about our FE boats being too "noisy and fast" . So we know how it feels to loose a quality site due to no fault on our part. We luckily do have a private club lake and numerous other sites to run at. One public pond we have been having to keep a watch on shore fishermen and dogs (ponds at a dogpark facility) who love to chase our boats. Respecting others be it wildlife, pets (even if the owner is disregarding a leash rule) has to be a constant thought. We seem to draw quit a spectator crowd, so our actions, language etc is on full display. So not just safety but how we respond to questions and react to the youth with all the questions is very important. I take a mild performing mono and my recovery tug, that I offer the truly interested child (after asking parent if its ok) adult if they would like to try it. Dont hurt to draw more new FE enthusiast anyway we can..... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

This is deffinetly a very needed thread, we all need to be aware of everything around us when we're at our lakes. As we all know, it only takes one idiot to spoil it for everybody. We all need to keep that idiot under control even if that idiot is sometimes yourself....

This isn't a safety thing. More of a don't screw it up for everyone else thing. Some of these I touched on earlier.

If a pond is available for RC use and you know that your club and others have applied for and received special permit from the city to use the pond, don't go there and run when ever your feel like it. Find out what the permit allows. If you're only approved for certain days stick to that. Doing it any ole' way you want to because you're above it all will only serve to screw it up for everyone. Our local authority knows what days MMEU is supposed to be on our home pond. There have been problems. Primarily with people that have no permit at all for any days. There will likely be fines for those using the pond without a permit in the future. So those using it without permission have essentially made it harder for those of us that are doing it the right way.

Also, if the local municipality has rules or even simple expectations that aren't even on paper............just try to make them happy. Pissing off the people that control our access to any particular body of water is just stupid in my opinion. Again, guess who pays the price? Everybody. So while you're busy fighting the city, the rules, the establishment, the man, etc....... all you're really doing is messing up the fun for the majority.

Clean up after yourself. At the nats we filled a dumpster and had about 10 bags outside the dumpster. Everyone did pretty well with the trash. I gave the grounds at another once over last night. Second walk through. Still found a few stray strips of tape. Not too bad considering how long we were out there. Just got me to thinking. We all need to do a better job keeping track of our debris. Tape seems to be the most common thing left behind. We need to think like boy scouts and leave it cleaner than we found it.

Last thing.......critters. We all know what a royal pain in the can it is when water fowl suck up our play time but I promise you that if the locals see us terrorizing the birds we're screwed. I don't care if they're Loons of those fly'n rats we get from down town Detroit. We will lose that battle. Sooooo......birds never stay in one spot long. Wait it out. They're just toy boats. We can wait 10 minutes for them to move along.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    This isn't a safety thing. More of a don't screw it up for everyone else thing. Some of these I touched on earlier.

If a pond is available for RC use and you know that your club and others have applied for and received special permit from the city to use the pond, don't go there and run when ever your feel like it. Find out what the permit allows. If you're only approved for certain days stick to that. Doing it any ole' way you want to because you're above it all will only serve to screw it up for everyone. Our local authority knows what days MMEU is supposed to be on our home pond. There have been problems. Primarily with people that have no permit at all for any days. There will likely be fines for those using the pond without a permit in the future. So those using it without permission have essentially made it harder for those of us that are doing it the right way.

Also, if the local municipality has rules or even simple expectations that aren't even on paper............just try to make them happy. Pissing off the people that control our access to any particular body of water is just stupid in my opinion. Again, guess who pays the price? Everybody. So while you're busy fighting the city, the rules, the establishment, the man, etc....... all you're really doing is messing up the fun for the majority.

Clean up after yourself. At the nats we filled a dumpster and had about 10 bags outside the dumpster. Everyone did pretty well with the trash. I gave the grounds at another once over last night. Second walk through. Still found a few stray strips of tape. Not too bad considering how long we were out there. Just got me to thinking. We all need to do a better job keeping track of our debris. Tape seems to be the most common thing left behind. We need to think like boy scouts and leave it cleaner than we found it.

Last thing.......critters. We all know what a royal pain in the can it is when water fowl suck up our play time but I promise you that if the locals see us terrorizing the birds we're screwed. I don't care if they're Loons of those fly'n rats we get from down town Detroit. We will lose that battle. Sooooo......birds never stay in one spot long. Wait it out. They're just toy boats. We can wait 10 minutes for them to move along.
    DING! DING! DING! Give that man a cigar! This is SPOT ON THE MARK and something EVERYONE should preach to all boaters they are around. All it takes is one selfish butthead to screw it up for the rest of us.................................
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

On the nats pond, one of the locals that live on the lake chewed my butt for going too fast in the row boat the morning after the race and making noise doing so. Guilty as charged. Lost my head. Long week. However, the residents there run chain saws, weed whips, tree chippers, and riding mowers it seems like about 12 hours a day as far as I could tell. It's constant. I could have argued the point but what fer? It wasn't an argument I wanted to win.

So I apologized and promised it would never happen again. Then went back to skimming buoy crumbs from the shoreline. Think we got most of them.

In today's day and age, a video of said butthead can linger like a smelly fart.
    Noisy person

I'm so glad I live in the woods..

This isn't a safety thing. More of a don't screw it up for everyone else thing.
    So it's ok to run a 50", 15 to 20#, 60 mph boat right at the bank with spectators at the waters edge?
    We've seen videos of guys running with swimmers in the near proximity.

It's a safety thing as well. Or at least it will be if someone gets hurt.

I intended this thread to raise awareness to all of the above.

You don't have any cards do you Terry?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    So it's ok to run a 50", 15 to 20#, 60 mph boat right at the bank with spectators at the waters edge?
    We've seen videos of guys running with swimmers in the near proximity.

It's a safety thing as well. Or at least it will be if someone gets hurt.

I intended this thread to raise awareness to all of the above.

You don't have any cards do you Terry?
    If I had a card I would make sure it was actually the correct card. If I played the card at the wrong time nobody will respect me.

Probably a bad idea to run a small 90mph hydro close to shore too. Anything can happen at those speeds. We saw a video of the fastest guy on the planet where his boat left the water and landed in some trees. Crap happens. Even to the most experienced guys. Have to use our heads.
    Noisy person

We're off on a behavior tangent but another I just remembered.....

If you're the guy that feels you need to threaten another racer on or off the pond, during or after racing, on or offline, please find another hobby. There is no place for you in this hobby.

Yes it's happened.
    Noisy person

Probably a bad idea to run a small 90mph hydro close to shore too. Anything can happen at those speeds. We saw a video of the fastest guy on the planet where his boat left the water and landed in some trees. Crap happens. Even to the most experienced guys. Have to use our heads.

..well said ......so common sense !
    Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Gill,
    Dead on correct. Common sense will almost always be enough. That, and assume that something could go wrong.m

One can easily see where the safety rules came from in both IMPBA and NAMBA. Since some can't be trusted to use common sense they had to put it in writing. Some of those rules are so obvious.
    Noisy person

Gill,
    Since some can't be trusted to use common sense they had to put it in writing. Some of those rules are so obvious.
    is this anything like the "do not eat" warnings on silica packets? I mean....i almost ate one.... but thanks to the warning i figured out NOT to eat it.
    what a tease tho. i figured they just threw in a little treat with my non perishable non food item. "shucks"
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

After having a friend crash one of my boats into the dock we were standing on, I am a big fan off setting a safe distance off the dock or shore to run. As well as danger zones at the end of straits before a turn etc.

I have had a lot of problems getting to ponds early in the morning only to have fisherman show up after I have been there, and am just doing my last boats checks. More than once I have had a guy run down to the water and throw a line in then look at me, then go back to their truck for the kitchen sink. As soon as I put the boat in the water I get the "I'm fishing asshole!" Routine.

Because the boats make any noise, and move fast we definitely have to tread lightly as others have stated so well above. Unfortunately that means walking away from a nice spot more often than not. Regardless of our rights to use them.
    Driving big slow boats for a living, small fast ones for fun.

We have a little lake (pond) behind our house that I run my small boats in. I run boats such as the 20" and under that go less than 25 mph in it. I also have a bigger lake across the street that I run my larger, but still slow boats in. I run my US-1 (Relentless) and Offshore Infinity in this lake. Even though they are slower boats (under 40 mph) I still take precautions. As there are homes around the lake, I try to run only when there are no one in the back yard. Sometimes, the kids and neighbors are fascinated by the boats and come out to watch. Most of the homes have a fence that is 10 feet from the lake's shore, and I always make sure I am at least 15 ft from shore as well. Sometimes, the kids would go out the gates and come to the edge of the lake to watch. When this happens, I don't run my boat down to that are of the lake but stay close to my end. I had a parent ask why I do that when the kids want to see the boat. I explained to her about the safety concerns I had and that even though the boats are not too fast and their is an extremely low possibility of accidents, I still would rather err on the safe side and keep the boats away from the side of the lake where her kids were. She actually was very thankful that I was concerned for the kids safety after I explained to her. She even asked me if I could give the kids a lesson on proper boat operating if she bought her kids a boat. In addition, I never run the boats when there are people in the water or if there are paddle boats in the water. I am also lucky that our neighborhood is enclosed and surrounded by a park (reserve) that has two large lakes. It is actually a large retention area. The perimeters of the lake is under 3 miles and the lakes are perfect for running boats. this is where i run my faster larger boats. There are very little water fowls and the banks on the lakes slide down about 10 feet on all sides. Still, I don't run near where people are fishing or when there's water fowl. Since its a retention, it does not allow swimming, boats, canoes, kayaks, etc.. I have ran my boats there many times and most of the time I am the only person utilizing the waters. Everyone else is either jogging or biking around the trails. I get lots of people stopping by to watch the boats and all have been very fascinated with it.

I thought I would share my experience from Saturday. Our club is running a four round offshore endurance series this year, the first was on Saturday. This is all petrol/nitro deepvee or cat, as FE simply cannot do 20,30 and 60 minute races.
    Anyhow, after managing to run over the top bouy (which is about 50m past turn 3) and flip my boat. I went out in the rescue dinghy to recover it. Our dinghy is a 6' aluminium dinghy with a 2hp outboard. I got my boat and was on the way back when another boat came straight towards me, hit the side of the dinghy and hit me square in the chest. This knocked me over and the dinghy flipped and I was swimming. Fortunately I had on the life jacket and the water was warm. The dinghy however went stern down and was floating (just) with only the bow sticking out. I was ok and tried to swim the dinghy back to shore but that was a no go. The guy that hit me jumped in and swam out a rope and a couple of others pulled the boat back in and we swam back to shore with our boats.
    The club member that hit me had throttled off as he came near but simply misjudged where his boat was. The rule is that the rescue boat has right of way, period! I was not hurt (except a small graze and bruise on the sternum) and did not panic when I went in the water. It is all good and after recovering every thing we carried on with our days racing and I dried out by lunchtime.
    What did I learn?
    Accidents can happen, even though we try our best to avoid them.
    Our dinghy needs more bouyancy, I should have been able to right it, recover the oars and get back to shore.
    We need a better lifejacket. Even though it did it's job, it was difficult to swim in.
    If this had happened to someone else, or in winter, then perhaps it could have been much worse.

I spent a lot of my younger days in and around the water in dinghy's and small and not so small sailboats, I think that helped as I still knew what to do and didn't panic. It just shows that even with precautions things can go wrong. As one of my clubbies put it, "it was serious..but funny". I also have no ill feelings toward the other clubbie that hit me, he just made a mistake and I'm ok. But there are things that we will learn from it!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Rescue boat is out on the course then no other boats should be running

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    Rescue boat is out on the course then no other boats should be running

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    At sprint racing regattas this is the case. However during endurance racing boats are rescued while the other boats continue. This has been done for many years. It is the rule that the rescue boat has total right of way. I have spent a lot of time in rescue boats but you are still wary of any boat traveling at speed around you. Even a near miss is not a good thing and I had one of those at our last Nats, and it was a top driver, and pitman not paying attention. I am going to address the issue at National level further this year to ensure that all our members realize the seriousness of being in and around water doing what we do.

Anyone who hits a rescue boat is also dq from that event. Twice and you are off the water for the rest of the regatta!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    At sprint racing regattas this is the case. However during endurance racing boats are rescued while the other boats continue. This has been done for many years. It is the rule that the rescue boat has total right of way. I have spent a lot of time in rescue boats but you are still wary of any boat traveling at speed around you. Even a near miss is not a good thing and I had one of those at our last Nats, and it was a top driver, and pitman not paying attention. I am going to address the issue at National level further this year to ensure that all our members realize the seriousness of being in and around water doing what we do.

Anyone who hits a rescue boat is also dq from that event. Twice and you are off the water for the rest of the regatta!
    Hope your insurance provider is OK with that.

Yep. In the US that would be a reason to deny a claim - I realize this happened in NZ. Just because it has been done for many years does not make it right. Let's weigh the risk/penalty: A QD from the regatta - or a serious injury to the rescue boat operator.....should be a no-brainer. What would have happened if the boat had hit Peter in the mouth knocking out a few teeth? Or in the eye? Would club members be willing to pony up the medical fees? OTOH in the countries with universal health care that may not be an issue to get the injury fixed. No problem whatsoever, except that the injured party may be missing an eye. Eh, the guy who did it was QD'd afterall...

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast