Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe boating discussion.

I hope you are able to get other safety protocol in place Peter.
    IMO Mill speeds while the retrieve boat is out would be a good idea. It shouldn't be difficult to figure out a "restart" procedure. I have seen a few pictures over the years with model powerboats boats buried in the side of retrieve boats. Getting hit in the chest, scary stuff!! This could have been life altering for you and your family,glad you are ok. I hope they take your concerns seriously.
    Are fail safes mandatory for this event? If not that would be a good addition to the safety rules imo.

Be safe!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Hi Doug
    Thank you for your concerns. The boat that hit me had throttled back, he just misjudged his turn and the boat managed to 'ramp' up the side and get me. No one even realised at first that I had been hit, they thought that I had managed to tip myself out! I guess some better attention needs to be paid at times! I am grateful that I am ok, just got wet. I will address this further at both club and national committee level, it just doesn't need to happen again. Had it been someone else they may not have fared as well.
    Failsafes are 'recommended' not mandatory at this time, but this is another issue that will get a look at. Ironically I had a bunch of trouble with my radio having 'dead spot' issues in the same area and failsafeing numerous times during the day, and I had to 'rescue' it another 6 or7 times. Only me, even others with the same radio gear had no problems. Go figure!
    Yes SAFETY first, no compromises

Yep. In the US that would be a reason to deny a claim - I realize this happened in NZ. Just because it has been done for many years does not make it right. Let's weigh the risk/penalty: A QD from the regatta - or a serious injury to the rescue boat operator.....should be a no-brainer. What would have happened if the boat had hit Peter in the mouth knocking out a few teeth? Or in the eye? Would club members be willing to pony up the medical fees? OTOH in the countries with universal health care that may not be an issue to get the injury fixed. No problem whatsoever, except that the injured party may be missing an eye. Eh, the guy who did it was QD'd afterall...

We have a system called ACC. No faults, no blame (whatever!) that pays, and we have no right to sue. Sometimes people get in the no responsibility mode too. Regardless it is not a system I personally want to rely on.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Glad to hear you are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    At sprint racing regattas this is the case. However during endurance racing boats are rescued while the other boats continue. This has been done for many years. It is the rule that the rescue boat has total right of way. I have spent a lot of time in rescue boats but you are still wary of any boat traveling at speed around you. Even a near miss is not a good thing and I had one of those at our last Nats, and it was a top driver, and pitman not paying attention. I am going to address the issue at National level further this year to ensure that all our members realize the seriousness of being in and around water doing what we do.

Anyone who hits a rescue boat is also dq from that event. Twice and you are off the water for the rest of the regatta!
    Right of way is something that I have to have a pretty in depth meeting of at my job where I run large commercial vessels. One thing I am fond of saying to the mates that work below me when they want to take a meeting situation to extremis because they have "right of way" is that right of way is all good and well, but when the burden vessel can kill you. How bad do you want to enforce your "right" of way?

Being on the race course in a dinghy or kayak recovering a boat is foolish period, regardless of how long its been done. Either build a self righting boat, have everyone go dead in the water, or wait until the end of the heat.
    Driving big slow boats for a living, small fast ones for fun.

I'm one of the lucky ones who can just walk to a pond I own on my own land

Hey guys, just a reminder......................PIT MEN! IMPBA calls them spotters I think. This is almost a rule reminder more so than a safety thing. Kinda both I suppose.

Both IMPBA and NAMBA require you to have a spotters at all times. Spotters help you see, give you guidance, even calm you down sometimes. But they also are watching for things that have nothing to do with the race. A bird lands in lane one. A buoy has come dislodged. Some kid in the kayak has paddled out while you weren't watching. Maybe your spotter will see him before you blast into him. If losing your insurance isn't enough inspiration then consider the people that own or frequent your body of water. I know how I'd feel if I hit little Jimmy that jumped in for a quick swim because I couldn't be bothered with a spotter.

You can't catch everything. Especially when you're driving your boat. Get some extra eyes.

I see videos from clubs racing all the time with ZERO spotters. I know, "but we don't have enough guys". Then you need smaller heats until you do. Yes, even if that means 3 boat heats.
    Noisy person

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12