Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spartan from down under.

Default Spartan from down under.

Hey everyone. Been on OSE for a short time and have been going threw the search here on how to make a Traxxas Spartan go. Been a wealth of info on here that's for sure. Currently my Spartan is all stock using 6s lipo,s and a upgraded alloy water jacket for the 1800kv motor and dual water cooling hoses running off the stock modified rudder, and so far I have managed to get 46.50 mph just by adjusting the trim tabs--battery position and skeg height. That's about it for a stock Spartan i reckon, and im pretty lucky to even get that out of it. My next option is to replace the stock plastic prop for a new modified one that I have on the way from Rc boat bitz here in Australia http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....oducts_id=1546. This type of prop is to give an extra 8 to 10kms without sacrificing anything, so once it arrives in the mail i will test it out. Have seen a clip on you-tube of someone using an Octurra x447 prop and getting 61mph with the hottest part being the motor that was 150 degrees F. Anyway i will post up some pics after my camera is charged and download them, Till then i will keep you all posted on the new prop once it arrives.

Be careful with anything bigger than an x442. I would NOT suggest running an x447. This will cause excess stress on the esc and make it burn out. If you really want that prop though only use it for speed runs. Hope this helps.
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

Thanks for that. When you say speed runs does that mean short bursts at full throttle till you can here it at full noise, and then back of to turn around and do another run and then back to shore to check the gps and temps.? Here are some pics

DSC_0034.jpgDSC_0036.jpgDSC_0037.jpg
    Last edited by 1650bullet; 06-13-2014 at 06:38 PM.

I mean you would want to do only one maybe 2 passes just to see how fast you can go with the prop. But nothing more. Switch to your x442 for sport running. The x447 is only going to add a few mph. IMO its not worth risking your electronics. If you want to run the x447 I would suggest upgrading to a Turnigy 180 esc or better. Hope this helps. What gps do you use?

Ok Thanks for that mate. Every little bit of info and tips go a long way in helping anyone out" I use a Garmin E-trax GPS. I use it for when I go out motorbike riding in the bush around here.

The prop arrived today. It reads 44--14. I take it it is 44mm diameter and has a 1.4 pitch. I managed to get 54.28mph before the ESC cut out due to it being overheated. The temp gun showed 21degrees c for the motor. But the ESC showed 55degrees c on the Capacitors with 52 degrees for the lipo batts. Everything is fine and still working, but im very lucky I didn't burn out the ESC.
    Power Demon>>>> I am going to purchase a Octura x442 from OSE and be happy with whatever I get from it mate.DSC_0054.jpg

You should get high 40's with the X442, with 50 a possibility if everything is trimmed and setup properly.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 1650bullet View Post
    The prop arrived today. It reads 44--14. I take it it is 44mm diameter and has a 1.4 pitch. I managed to get 54.28mph before the ESC cut out due to it being overheated. The temp gun showed 21degrees c for the motor. But the ESC showed 55degrees c on the Capacitors with 52 degrees for the lipo batts. Everything is fine and still working, but im very lucky I didn't burn out the ESC.
    Power Demon>>>> I am going to purchase a Octura x442 from OSE and be happy with whatever I get from it mate.DSC_0054.jpg
    55c on the esc is not bad at all. Mine has climbed all the way to 225F on 6S and an x442. Those temps are fine. I don't think the esc stopped because of overheating. I think the LVD kicked in.

There is no LVD settings is there? Is it because the new prop is just pulling to much current from the batteries and there dropping to quick? I only used a new set of Zippy traxxas 4000mah 30c batts. I will try it out again and use my Turnigy Nanotech 40--80c 5000mah batteries and see how that goes.

4000 mah 30C batteries are only good for 120 Amps maximum draw. Even without the larger prop The Spartan is capable of pulling more Amps than that on burst.

It is possible the power demand was more than your batteries could provide and there was a voltage drop that triggered the LVC.

Your 40-80C batteries should fair better. I would suggest not running the 30C batteries, there is a high risk of damaging them in the Spartan.

The stock ESC is proving to be marginal on 6S even with stock setup, so don't be surprised if the larger prop eventually takes it's toll on the ESC.

There is no adjustable settings for the LVC on the stock ESC.

Kevin

Well I had an eventful day yesterday. The 44-14 cnc prop works fine using the Tugnigy nano-tech batteries, But only for speed runs. I managed to get 56.03mph on the gps. However when using the Zippy traxxas 4000mah batteries I had to revert back to the std plastic prop because of the amp draw was activating the LVD on the esc. I then used my final pair of 40c 5000 zippy lipo's to see how long I got b4 the batteries ran out but only got around 2mins of use before the traxxas plugs desoldered themselves. This week I will be changing to bullet connectors so this does not happen again. I uploaded a you-tube vid showing how the boat goes.

http://youtu.be/A7TeV12LT1M

I used Castle Polarized Connectors, they are essentially 6.5mm bullets but look better...
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Thanks Spartanator. Ive been searching threw some of the threads on here and have picked up some pretty decent info from all of you. Someone mentioned that the HK bullet connectors are almost close to the castle type, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html and i was going to order a heap online, The main reason being is because i can have them to me in one or two days. castle gear is not stocked as much here in Oz. Would anyone agree that these are ok to use.

I don't think the connectors that you listed would be ideal simply because they are 5.5s instead of 6.5s like the CC connectors. If I were you I would just bite the bullet and order the CC connectors. They are capable of over 200a of current. JMO

I used the EC5 connectors from HK they are good connectors, and work fine.

Both my Spartans were modified and pulling lots of Amps and I never had an issue with these connectors.

There is no doubt the castle connectors are a step up, but you can use the EC5's with confidence. (I used castle 6.5 bullet connectors on the motor connections)

I know this has already been mentioned, but I would caution you on the larger prop and stock ESC. IMHO you are high risk to burn up the stock ESC, especially if running 6S setup.

Kevin
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 06-23-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I have purchased a few upgrades from our Aussie seller Rc Boat Bitz today and when they arrive I will take a pic to show you all what I got. d-g. I hear you about the stock ESC and surley enough there was a fair bit of heat from the batteries to the esc, The positive post has come a bit loose. The esc still works, but its cutting on and of because its shorting out. So one thing I did purchse was a 120amp esc up to 7s. I will keep you all posted.

Cheers
    Last edited by 1650bullet; 06-23-2014 at 10:31 AM.

I ran EC5 connectors for a while but they were getting too warm for my liking...

I think you need a SeaKing 180, or something above 150 amps. Can't imagine the Spartan on 7s! Lol
    Last edited by Spartanator; 06-24-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Been Busy today. I was surprised to see it in the mail so quickly. I got enough bullet connectors to do all the boat batteries-- A 42-14 CNC prop that is on par with the Octura x442--A dual water pick up rudder-- A 120amp esc--Some heat shrink--and a tube of electrical sealant to make the esc watertight. All fitted in easy.

DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0003.jpg

Lookin good

It does look real nice! I like the look of the cooling hoses.

Thanks Fellas. Its all done and ready to go out on the water. I can only hope that all goes with no dramas. All I want from this boat is a bit more speed to bring it up to its 50mph as advertised, and extra reliability. If I can acchuve that than I will be more than happy

DSC_0014.jpgDSC_0016.jpg

You can get that speed if you know how to tune right, that speed doesn't usually happen RTR out of the box... Your's is lookin' good though! Kind of wish I would of kept mine, then again I like my S-ERVO!

Both my Spartans were modified, The one with 1600kv motor I was running on 6S, with a larger prop (P220) and the one with the 2200kv motor I was running on 5S with X442 prop.

The 2200kv motor on 5S had very similar unloaded RPM's to the the Stock 1800kv motor running 6S (so essentially "comparable" to stock on 6S)

The 1600kv was turning lower RPM's, but compensated by the larger prop.

Both were running T180 ESC's, both had upgraded drive lines. (One had a .187 flex, the other a .078 wire drive).

With these mods, both boats ran very reliably, and on good water conditions ran top speed consistently between 48-50mph. Confirmed with an Eagle Tree data logger with GPS Expander.

At high 40's - 50 mph this boat gets a long ways away real quick, and is a lot of fun to pilot.

You are on the right track targeting approx 50 mph, and reliability, IMHO. More fun running than repairing.

Spartanator is right, it takes some dialing in on the tuning (battery position, strut angle, trim tabs, etc) to find the sweet spot.

I was never successful completely eliminating the chine walk at or near the 50 mph mark. Had them dialed in pretty good, but any little disruption would set them loose.
    Kevin

Took it out for its first run today. Im very happy with it so far. The li-po batteries temp was 61c the engine was 23c the esc was 31c and Capacitors were at 61c and one on its own was 80c The connections was about 70c but did not unsolder themselves due to the bullet connectors and heavy duty heat shrink. All of these temps were taken after 7 laps around the 2 marker buoys. Maximum top speed showed 51.02MPH on the GPS. I have reached my goal of 50mph, All I want to do now is get rid of the chine walk it gets. I have ordered an extra pair of trim tabs and adjusters and im hoping they will work for my boat. Tomorrow we all meet up at the dam and are going to have a few races together, So I will keep you all posted after then. Once again thanks for all the help and tips you have all given me everyone.

Adding the second set of tabs will help, but a very little bit! Congratulations on your goal! Don't be discouraged about me saying the second tabs will barely help, just remember that every little bit does add up.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post
    I don't think the connectors that you listed would be ideal simply because they are 5.5s instead of 6.5s like the CC connectors. If I were you I would just bite the bullet and order the CC connectors. They are capable of over 200a of current. JMO
    Your trippin. The 5.5 from hk a PERFECT for a spartan.

Ive had them in ALL of my boats and lipos and cars and trucks. The connectors never get hot nor does the lipos or wires. I have them currently on 2 spartans for over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    You can get that speed if you know how to tune right, that speed doesn't usually happen RTR out of the box... Your's is lookin' good though! Kind of wish I would of kept mine, then again I like my S-ERVO!
    I got 52 on stock electronics with a gps onboard. I think I have a pic somewhere. I was using the kintec rudder for cooling and cnc prop (same pitch as stock)

Quote Originally Posted by shartinspartin View Post
    Your trippin. The 5.5 from hk a PERFECT for a spartan.

Ive had them in ALL of my boats and lipos and cars and trucks. The connectors never get hot nor does the lipos or wires. I have them currently on 2 spartans for over a year now.
    My Castle Connectors even got a bit warm a few times, but we are all in different places with different temps. Water temps have a lot to do with it to. I'm just sayin' my 1 year experience with the Spartan...

Yesterday I ran 4 pairs of batteries at 6s total and never gave it a break in between battery changes. The hottest temp was 103c on one of the esc Capacitors. The batteries all had 61c and the motor was only 24c. This was a great test to prove that things should hold up ok from now on. What I will be doing from now is run a set of batteries and give the boat some time to cool down and do it all over again. The 42-14 cnc prop works good, 52MPH constant on the gps. So I am wrapped. Next time we go out I will post up another vid because the battery went flat in the camera.

DSC_0006.jpg

Not sure if you are doing this or not. Be sure to pull the drive cable to clean, inspect and lubricate it after every couple runs to help avoid drive line failures.

The Spartan is bad for not retaining grease on the flex drive and generally the recommendation is no more than two runs between greasing.

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast