Thread: Swordfish-Auto Timing?

Default Swordfish-Auto Timing?

Can anybody explain to me how the "auto timing" setting works on these SF controllers? I've always been reluctant to use it, as I'm not sure what it bases the timing on, and I wouldn't wan't to run a motor in the wrong range. Does it sense the wind/rpm/motor and give it optimum timing? Thanks for any input.

OK, here is one that I am curious about as well. Especially since the program box only offers low, medium, and high as choices.

From the manual: "'Auto Timing' setting is automatically adjust the timing degree according to motor's rotating demand" (not my English)

Not that I'm one to "assume", but one could assume that rather than choosing a timing setting that is grossly out of proportion to the position of the rotor, the switching inside of the ESC can adjust according to the load. When we used to run the original Castle 240LV on 2s and higher pole motors, we had a lot of success setting that particular ESC to auto timing. At the end of the day, if you don't need the extra RPM due to an inappropriate kv rating for the prop selection and application, then it could be a benefit to keep the motor from building excessive heat as opposed to adding too much timing. At the same time, if you are running a D wind as opposed to a Wye wind motor, it could also help from building up too much heat as the result of running too much timing.

The real question is how quickly it adjusts and how quickly do you want it to adjust. With most applications with the exception of SAW, the loads will constantly change due to loading and unloading of the prop for anything that is running on the loose side of things and on surface drives of course.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Cool

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.
    Last edited by Fluid; 06-11-2014 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Removed valueless information...
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

So... Anybody know how the swordfish specifically deals with auto timing?

Doc Wayne is the man to ask. He designed the swordfish.

Don't know exactly, but pretty sure the esc senses the back emf from the motor and the software makes a guess after the motor has started turning.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    Don't know exactly, but pretty sure the esc senses the back emf from the motor and the software makes a guess after the motor has started turning.
    That is just how a sensorless system detects the rotor position to determine how/when to apply the set timing. I am wondering what factors the SF system uses to determine that timing settting in auto, and does it vary.....?

No kidding?
    Quote Originally Posted by nobbiworld View Post
    Doc Wayne is the man to ask. He designed the swordfish.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Had no idea Wayne designed the Swordfish esc, they've been great over the years!

I am curious to know what Wayne designed with the sf......a few of my friends or distributors of swordfish and I have spoken directly with them many times about this software, firmware , and overall design of the controller and was under the impression that there was more than one person that led to their design and Wayne's name was not mentioned at all. so I'm just curious to see what role he played in their development.