Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Krabs build

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    This alignment is what I am talking about. You may want to re-do the stuffing tube. The last inch or so of the stuffing tube must be perpendicular to the motor mount, and pointed at the center of the motor mount. It does not appear that way in the photo.

When I set up a flex shaft, I like to be able to insert the shaft through the strut and stuffing tube and have it hit square on the end motor shaft. You should be able to put a short straightedge on the motor shaft and not see any deviation in the flex shaft, horizontally, or vertically. I know I have it right when I couple the shaft to the motor and the flex shaft exits the stuffing tube right in the center of the opening without contacting any edge of the stuffing tube.

Here are some examples. Sorry if they don't show enough, they are the best I have at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 08-27-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Add some info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    This alignment is what I am talking about. You may want to re-do the stuffing tube. The last inch or so of the stuffing tube must be perpendicular to the motor mount, and pointed at the center of the motor mount. It does not appear that way in the photo.

When I set up a flex shaft, I like to be able to insert the shaft through the strut and stuffing tube and have it hit square on the end motor shaft. You should be able to put a short straightedge on the motor shaft and not see any deviation in the flex shaft, horizontally, or vertically. I know I have it right when I couple the shaft to the motor and the flex shaft exits the stuffing tube right in the center of the opening without contacting any edge of the stuffing tube.

Here are some examples. Sorry if they don't show enough, they are the best I have at the moment.
    Bill, I will see if I can get a better picture (one that is squarer on). I always cut the end of my stuffing tube at an angle to make it easier to allow some oil to run down the tube and this and the angle the picture is taken at may be creating an optical illusion. I agree that in the picture it appears the motor mount and stuffing tube are at two different angles but in reality the flex shaft enters the flex hex square on and slides in easily without a bend in the flex shaft. I am pleased you raised the subject as this is one area of building a boat that can give you more speed and as you said better reliability.
    Several boats in various stages of destruction

That is why I started off with "Correct me if I'm wrong..." Photos don't always tell the whole truth. Glad to see I'm just "preaching to the choir".

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    That is why I started off with "Correct me if I'm wrong..." Photos don't always tell the whole truth. Glad to see I'm just "preaching to the choir".
    Bill your comments have added something to the thread that I did not and that is why it is good others chime in. A misaligned prop shaft is not a small thing.
    You did have me go and double check my work though

The picture below shows 2 carbon fiber boom carriers I had to make so that the front sponsons can be have some adjustment. The two larger ones at the top are the ones I made and the ones at the bottom of the picture are the H&M ones that come with the boat. You can see a slot in the two I made that lets me adjust the sponsons. A friend is making me two of these boom carriers out of aluminum and I will use them if more weight is needed in the nose. Other people that have built this hull have found they needed more weight in the nose. I mounted my motor a little further forward than the directions said to for this reason.

The next 3 pictures show Mr Krabs nearing completion.

Great work old mate . That thing looks like a duck plucker straight up!!

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Great work old mate . That thing looks like a duck plucker straight up!!
    Thanks for all that CF Andy. You can see it has gone to good use and I still have some left over. I hope to test it next weekend. Still waiting on the 1D motor but that is not a problem. The 1.5 D should make it plane at least

Great job mate... they look awesome.
    Now explain me how you drive a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side!
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    Great job mate... they look awesome.
    Now explain me how you drive a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side!
    You can blame Australian women for that Jan. You know what women are like when they sit beside you and they start telling you how to drive. Well Aussie men thought it might give them a feeling of power if we put a steering wheel over that side so they felt like they had control of things. It was a bit like a training wheel. The women liked it so much they wanted pedals on the floor next so to keep them from moaning, us Aussie blokes put the pedals on the floor. When they burned their bra's back in the 60's and demanded equal rights they also demanded that the steering wheel be permanently placed over that side. Then one got into government and it became law. Women!!!. Can't live with them and can't live without them.

Paddy you where going to test today, how did it go? Video please you old prick. If you did not, just do not blame your lovely wife!!!

Andy it took me about 3 hardware stores to get the little Gizmos that hold the sponsons on so it was too late when I had it ready. I had to start work at 1 pm. I will finish it off tonight at work.
    Charles's props arrived today. Nice work Charles. Thanks for posting them on Andy.

Can we see the props please?

Thanks for the kind words Paddy - but call me Chuck as Charles is a bit to formal.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Paddy - but call me Chuck as Charles is a bit to formal.
    Chuck,
    You have done a great job on my props. I will be ordering more next time Andy orders from you.

Jan,
    I am not ignoring your request for pictures of the props. I have had a very full week. One of my sons was staying with me, my mother died last Sunday and was cremated on Thursday, tonight my daughter arrived home from University and will stay with us for a month and all the time I have been fighting the flue and doing my normal night time job. I hope to find some "me time" tomorrow to test the boat for the first time and get some pictures of the props etc.

My sympathy for your loss and get well soon.
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Quote Originally Posted by tth View Post
    My sympathy for your loss and get well soon.
    Thanks very much. Your words help.

Can we see the props please?

Jan, finally I found a few moments to get some pictures of the props Chuck done for me. These are thin and sharp. I am very impressed with his workmanship. The V947/3 is for Mr Krabs.

The Neu 1521 1D finally arrived so all the equipment I need is here and time to start testing

Paddy, no worries mate, I know that people have their lives on the side to run as well...

When someone close passes it's never easy and you have an added stress to it... I hope you Flu is better and that your and your families healing is fast.

Thanks for the pics... that is a HUGE prop! I'd put some thread lock on the prop screw
    as well... just to be sure. The intermediate strength is sufficient to keep it in place and
    allow you to remove it when necessary.
    I think you are going to like your Krab...

Paddy come on where are the pics of her on the water, I can not believe me and the Whip beat you to it!! Good to here your daughter is in town for a month, now we will get some good Vid of this rocket,
    Waiting, waiting not so patiently
    Andrew

Paddy come on where are the pics of her on the water, I can not believe me and the Whip beat you to it!! Good to here your daughter is in town for a month, now we will get some good Vid of this rocket,
    Waiting, waiting not so patiently
    Andrew
    Andy my daughter has to work at the local hospital as part of her University course so any pictures will have to wait until the weekend.
    I do have some good news. The boat has been on, in and under the water. When I say under it is just something it does when it is slowing down if you turn it hard. All you can see is the antenna going through the water. This morning was my first test. I walked away a happy man. This boat handles better than all my other boats.
    I just used an Octura X438 prop. Speed at first was just 38 kph but I could see the transom was not leaving the water so I dropped the strut. Instantly the speed went to 79 kph. I will have to play with this more but I wanted to get the feel of the boat so I used up both my 4s packs doing just that.
    After several short runs over a 90 minute period there was no water in the main hull and just a little water in one sponson but as you know that seems to be standard with H&M riggers. My Xzess 2 has slow leaks on both sponsons.

Great news!
    As long as you an take the water out of the sponsons, that is acceptable in my opinion...
    No broken anything is always a big plus!!!

Excellent work, I bet the old blurter was a bit puckered up when she went under!!

Great news!
    As long as you an take the water out of the sponsons, that is acceptable in my opinion...
    No broken anything is always a big plus!!!
    Jan,
    In anticipation of needing him, I pumped the Rubber Duck up but he was not needed. After 90 minutes on, in and under the water I think a teaspoon of water in a sponson is acceptable Jan. I must say this is the most trouble free first run I have had in any boat Jan. Thanks for your suggestions during my build. I should say thanks to one and all who have posted on this thread.
    I am just putting the most important part on the boat now.

No Andy I am not a brown noser

Excellent work, I bet the old blurter was a bit puckered up when she went under!!
    At my age it's...
    No I better not say it.

Video, video video, video!!!

Jan I am with you VIDEO with the v947/3 and 6s please. Come on Paddy you know you want to!! Yes the Whiskey cabinet is open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful not to overload the controller with the 6s...
    also, at 6s, you'll have 62k+ RPM outta that bad boy,
    keep that in mind. I think it's best if you run it only with 4s...
    Brian Buaas has the NAMBA P-Hydro record at 113mph with a
    similar motor ( 1521/.5Y).
    Last edited by Ub Hauled; 09-08-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Be careful not to overload the controller with the 6s...
    also, at 6s, you'll have 62k+ RPM outta that bad boy,
    keep that in mind. I think it's best if you run it only with 4s...
    Brian Buaas has the NAMBA P-Hydro record at 113mph with a
    similar motor ( 1521/.5Y).
    Jan, I am going down the 4s road. The only thing different from my original plan is that I am using a Barra 180 esc on Andrewg's advice. He said it will do the job so it saved me buying a Hydra 240. Andy has his head in the Whisky cupboard and is getting a bit excited.

Yes, YEs, YES.

Heheheheheheheeh... that is funny.
    Cool, a 180 what? Phoenix or Hydra HV?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast