Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Mr Krabs build

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    tsc, tsc, tsc...
    kids...

that's why I have 2 daughters, hehehehe, the troubles really start when they turn pre-teen...
    Paddy, have a rapid recover, show the kids who wears the pants in the house...
    Lucky man Jan. My 20 year old daughter is a perfect little angel too.
    My father and I fought like cats and dogs too. What goes around, comes around I guess.

Jan your PM may have been a big help. I will PM you after I sleep. Thanks for the help
    Several boats in various stages of destruction

Hi old man tehe Still 2 feet of ice on the lake and it snowed here again yesterday. any way on the Krabbs set CD it shose the strut at 13mm this might be what you need to get the front lose.
    Old Guy

If the strut is moved from 17mm (AndrewG) to 13mm (H&M) the difference in Tub angle is between 1 and 2 degrees.Assuming that you do not adjust the sponson angle this will also increase by the same.
    This will now make the tub AoA a little over 3 degrees.
    Given the surface area under the tub this may produce a fair bit of compression lift and the associated drag.

I take it that these hulls if built per instructions will allow the tub AoA and sponson AoA to be altered independantly. My one can.
    I will set it for minimal Tub AoA 1-2 deg and the sponsons at 4 deg.

I am now just waiting for my coupler and some reasonable weather.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

Hey Simon I hear the weather forcast is for 5 knots on saturday, so it could be the Day..

heres hoping my kb45 and Lipos turn up before the weekened!

Jan, Simon, Rick and crabstick,
    Thanks guys for all your help. You have given me some good ideas that I will try one at a time.
    Jan has got me thinking that maybe I am using the wrong size props. I can never get my 1521 1D to rev as well as my 1515 1.5y. If you listen to the sound of the engines on my You Tube videos you will hear what I mean.
    I will work on the strut depth again also.

Yeah one change at a time is the only way to do it, then at least you know which one made the difference.

How far below the rear ride shoe does the strut sit ? is it lifting it clear of the water at full throttle in a straight line?
    Last edited by crabstick; 04-28-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crabstick View Post
    Yeah one change at a time is the only way to do it, then at least you know which one made the difference.

How far below the rear ride shoes does the strut sit ? is it lifting them clear of the water at full throttle in a straight line?
    There is just one shoe on the rear of Mr Krabs as you will see in the pic. It does ride clear of the water at full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwilliams View Post
    slimshady,

If you want to send me the shaft (I'm in the UK), I will make you a copy of it adapted to take 3/16th" props. PM me for my contact details.

Out of interest, what brass props are you using?

Regards,
    Paul

Sorry Paul, been a bit busy over the past month or so – PM sent

New toy purchased check out the photo of the radar gun – The manufacture clams it’s within +/- 2 MPH - only problem now is I need a bigger pond and dog drive props.

See you all soon

Slim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default "Taipan" fin?

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    The strut and rudder are both Speedmaster and the turn fin is a Taipan fin.

The boat will be encouraged to plane with the following.... Neu 1521 1D, Castle 240 esc, Octura V947 prop, 4S 4500 30C lipo
    I'm familiar with Speedmaster, but what is a "Taipan" fin? Chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwaveohs View Post
    I would like to know as well.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by bigwaveohs View Post
    Patrick (great name), Chuck,
    Taipan fins are made in Australia and can be purchased through the link below. It is better to email Andrew and ask him if he has them in stock before ordering.
    Patrick

http://www.fastelectrics.com/default.asp

Taipan fins=taipan rigger kits. Nice boats as well.

Ok sorry all for not posting sooner, My Mr Krabs build has been a bit delayed due to working away from home over the past couple of months, during this time Paul has been the absolute best pool of advice and has also helped sort out my drive problems. I now have a 3/16 dog drive system on a flexi with all the other parts to help.

My latest antics involve blowing the tracks from the upper board of my 5S LiPo and then accidently forcing my cheap Chinese motor to 60KRPM + in the dry trying to re-programme it, with the blips and dashes, oppps, now the end is not connected to the body.

I have now decided to order some better parts from this web site (OSE).

I have ordered a 1521/1D NEU, a 240Amp Hydra ESC, a programming cable, some capacitors, 6mm wire and bullet connectors, a turn fin and I am waiting for the water jacket to come back into stock.

My logic is simply go for it – I will eventually need to order hardware of this calibre, so why not use it now and simply not use it to its full capacity until I am ready for it / correctly set up.

Turning is still a problem and I will almost certainly need the help of Paul again to help me configure my prop shaft (sorry mate).

Off subject to Mr Krabs:

I used the radar gun to clock a couple of boats on our pond at the weekend – some mono 1s using 12 cells were clocked between 28MPH and 31MPH – not bad / very good. Then we had a 4S mono 2 at 38MPH and finally an IC cat with 24MPH. All not bad but the previous week I clocked Pauls X rigger *(now Tim’s little gem) at 59MPH. To be honest Tim had modified the rigger and upped the cells from 2s to 4s but this must be the fastest boat at the club.

See you all soon

Slim

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post

I have now decided to order some better parts from this web site (OSE).

I have ordered a 1521/1D NEU, a 240Amp Hydra ESC, a programming cable, some capacitors, 6mm wire and bullet connectors, a turn fin and I am waiting for the water jacket to come back into stock.

My logic is simply go for it – I will eventually need to order hardware of this calibre, so why not use it now and simply not use it to its full capacity until I am ready for it / correctly set up.

See you all soon

Slim
    Slim good to see you giving the boat a motor it deserves. Keep a good check on the heat of the 240 Hydra esc as the motor is an Amp hog and things can get warm. Best to start off testing with a small prop and build up in prop size if you have no heat problems. Do not run more than 4s on that motor. That motor and hull combination is capable of 80+ mph on 4s. I have had mine to 70 mph but for some reason I just can not get the motor to rev like it should. I have listened to quite a few boats running the 1521 on 4s and they scream but mine is only getting slightly excited. I have a new 35C battery to try on it to see if that is the problem and I hope to test that in a few days time.
    Good to hear from you and I hope you have a great summer at the pond.

Paddyh

Default MR Krabs in 3D

MR Krabs in 3D

Hi all, I have spent a bit of time 3D modelling Mr Krabs ready for my new Neu motor (to see if it fits) – the file I enclose is very very early days and the booms do not line up and the hull, yet, the hull is very sketchy (I am a solid modeller not a surface modeller) so this has been a massive learning curve for me.

I use Autodesk Inventor 2010 and you will need to download a free 3D viewer from Autodesk:

Web link to Autodesk Click

If this doesn’t work copy and paste this address: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

Let me know what you think, as mentioned it is very very early days

Slim

Edit ------ Ok apparently this web site cannot support more than 97Kb file size, so if you want the 3D model please PM me with your email address and I will send it on or complain to the administrator and allow me to post the 3D model.
    Last edited by slimshady; 06-28-2009 at 06:19 PM.

If you use another site as a host and provide a link it should work.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Andy I tested Mr Krabs on that new battery today.
    M8 I think I took another boat to the pond. Mr Krabs was lifting sponsons with torque and when I really gave it the gun both sponsons came off the water at about 90kph. It has never done that before. I never got to see full speed as the clevis pulled out of the rudder bracket and I had no steering. No steering is very interesting at 104kph. By the time I got it back to shore it was raining.
    To cut a long story short I came home with a big smile on my face.

Congrats Paddy, Finally went from Mr Krap's to Mr. Krabs with the new batteries. Batteries make all the difference in the world. I ran my DF33 with a 1521/1y on 6s2p and man did she sing a sweet tune! Glad to hear you have some great speed to work with. Now just to repair that clevis to keep it from making out with the mud! BTW my DF33 was gps'ing 67.4mph. I had to take a break after that run......my heart could barely take it!
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Quote Originally Posted by tth View Post
    Congrats Paddy, Finally went from Mr Krap's to Mr. Krabs with the new batteries. Batteries make all the difference in the world. I ran my DF33 with a 1521/1y on 6s2p and man did she sing a sweet tune! Glad to hear you have some great speed to work with. Now just to repair that clevis to keep it from making out with the mud! BTW my DF33 was gps'ing 67.4mph. I had to take a break after that run......my heart could barely take it!
    Man that is moving for a DF33.

I agree with you about batteries. I love this new generation of Lipo's. I hear there are better ones to come in the future too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    Andy I tested Mr Krabs on that new battery today.
    M8 I think I took another boat to the pond. Mr Krabs was lifting sponsons with torque and when I really gave it the gun both sponsons came off the water at about 90kph. It has never done that before. I never got to see full speed as the clevis pulled out of the rudder bracket and I had no steering. No steering is very interesting at 104kph. By the time I got it back to shore it was raining.
    To cut a long story short I came home with a big smile on my face.
    Awesome Paddy, does that mean you are back on track to run 100mph (160km/h)?
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

He had bloody better be, or I will be asking some questions about his family tree and the bendy branches.

Seriously now.
    I am very happy to see that Paddy has the X3 back on the water and it is rocking well.
    My copy of the X3 is doing well too and I will update that in my thread.

Go hard and go fast Paddy.......do the same with your boats.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

I am learning not to open my big mouth too far Jan but I think I am going to close the gap on the 100mph mark a little. You told me about the Elite Lipos and now I have 2 of them I see what you mean. I am not saying they are better than quiite a few of the other new ones that have come out but I am saying they are faster and can deliver the power quicker when cold than my old PolyQuest ones. Mr Krabs was like a Shark in a feeding frenzy today. I really had to be careful how quick I applied the throttle. Now I am seeing why people were telling me the 1521 1d motor is one ferocious son of an Andy.

Hi Paddy ... I have recently obtained a couple of Elite packs as well. I have only used them a couple of times but I have noticed a big difference. I just wish I could have gotten more than 50 feet with the XS2 before the wire drive gave my Prather 220 to the pond monster.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Hi Paddy ... I have recently obtained a couple of Elite packs as well. I have only used them a couple of times but I have noticed a big difference. I just wish I could have gotten more than 50 feet with the XS2 before the wire drive gave my Prather 220 to the pond monster.
    That monster strikes at all the wrong times Chuck. He could have waited until your gps was reading 87mph before he took your prop.
    Many people (Andy) are saying the new Hyperions are great too. I might send one of my Elite packs to him to compare so we all know what is best.

A few more prop jobs and I will get some. The 5500's are about the same price as the Elite 5000's
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Well done Paddy, the new LiPos look like they are working well for you, now fix that boat and get the magical 100MPH Mr Krabs deserves.

To keep you up to date with my build – I am currently still waiting for parts to be sent over from the US.

I still have not managed to post up the 3D model of Mr Krabs so I used Google web space to create my own rubbish site with the file. The site is NOT an official Mr krabs web site – I simply created it to remind me where all the links are and to publish the 3D file to a mate of mine.

Paddy I have made a link to one of your Videos on youtube, and also to this site – please let me know if this is ok?

Web site is located at www.mrkrabs.eu

If anyone has anything to add please let me know.

Slim

Default Mr. Krabs

I got a nice shot of a friends Mr. Krabs this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    That Viking www.How2RC.com PULSO
    Home made 36" DeepVee 50mph

Viking, nice avatar...

Today I spent a few hours converting Mr Krabs from 36 Mhz to 2.4 Ghz by adding an XtremeLink receiver to the boat and an XtremeLink RF module to my JR R-1 transmitter. Everything checks out OK but a trip to the pond will tell me more.

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/xtremelink.php

8mm connectors were added to the battery and esc.

sweet Paddy, did you get telemetry as well?

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast