Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Krabs build

Paddy will send the glass tomorrow , you can clean that paint off and glass first straight to sanded gell coat. A much better bond. By the way I do not run the brass bolt and my rudders only lift when hit something. I do not think they are needed and with the extra force needed to break one when you hit something like another duck! It could be the difference between no damage and some damage. But as UB stated you must round that edge so it can swing otherwise bolt or not it will break something. Well done so far will call later and have a chat.

I am still waiting for my 1521 1D motor to come from the U.S.A so I have put the 1521 1.5D in so that the stuffing tube could be aligned and the motor mount fixed in place. I think my early testing will be done on this motor. Once the boat is dialed in then I will put the 1D motor in.

Andy, I like your idea of no brass bolt and I will go with that.
    Last edited by Xzessperated; 08-16-2008 at 08:10 PM.
    Several boats in various stages of destruction

are those 4MM plugs?
    those plugs are even worse the the 3.5 MM plugs.
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Nice work sir!!!

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Taylor, yes they are 4mm plugs but I have some big ones here to put on all my boats when I get some time. Thats another thing on my to do list.

Doug,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I got a laugh out of your post about Stevens service.

that looks so insane
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

As Jan (Ub Hauled) had said earlier it is important to round the top of the rudder bracket so that it can swing up if it hits anything in the water. This has now been done.

The picture below demonstrates that the rudder can swing up if it hits something like a stick in the water

As you can see a little primer has been put over the carbon fiber rudder bracket insert. Andym is sending some glass to go over this area so the paint will be removed and the thin glass cloth put over the top. It is a bit extra work but as Andy said it will give everything a stronger bond.,

An interesting comparison of the Xzess 2 and 3

cool! I cant wait to see it running!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyekandyboats View Post
    are those 4MM plugs?
    those plugs are even worse the the 3.5 MM plugs.
    You use 3.5 MM plugs Taylor? you should really change them. Prolly why you have blown all those esc's.

A carbon fiber turn fin bracket has been inserted into the rear of the RHS sponson. I am trying where possible to keep the brackets out of the airstream.
    The second picture shows that a triangular piece has been put on the other side of the bracket to add strength.

The turn fin is now on

That looks awsome, use some of that glass there as well. How are you off for CF give us a call if you want some more.

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    That looks awsome, use some of that glass there as well. How are you off for CF give us a call if you want some more.
    I still have more than 4 foot of the CF Andy. I got a servo that fits the boat yesterday so mounting that will be next. Glass will be added to the turnfin bracket when it arrives. Still waiting on the 1521 to arrive but no hurry on that.
    BTW... I sent you some money via PayPal for that battery today.

I glued aluminum angle to carbon fiber plate to make a servo mount.

sweet signature servo
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti27offshore View Post
    sweet signature servo
    Andy needs one of these servos on his Whisky cabinet door John. If he had a 4x4 R/C truck he could get the truck to fetch his bottle and never have to leave the recliner at night.

The servo tray is now glued in place

Very nice mate!! Will email some pics of this weekends boating, had the DF, Wildthing and xs2 all cranking along. The kids boat ( wild thing ) Had its first run with a uncooled hi model 200 amp esc and a Fiegao 10xl running 4350 25c pQ packs. Mate stared with a 45mm cf and ended up running a 40mm for them. At the end of the day I tried a m447 and it was bloody fast, almost quicker than the DF. We had 8 boats all up and a great day was had by all.
    My whiskey cabinet already has a servo on her and the dog fetches very nicely thank you.

i like the servo... its a SE edition... can i get one?
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eyekandyboats View Post
    i like the servo... its a SE edition... can i get one?

Yes, just contact Andym but hurry because they are going fast. Andy purchased 150 of them himself. He just likes his own picture.

The rudder and servo are now connected and have been tested. There is just a little cleaning up of Silastic to be done.

The flex shaft has been cut and the drive dog added to the shaft. A flat surface was ground on the shaft with a Dremel so that the drive dog grub screw can get a good grip.

At the other end of the shaft I have added a wheel collar from a model airplane between the stuffing tube and the flex hex. The purpose of the wheel collar is to stop the prop shaft dropping out if the flex hex loses its grip.

Smile wheel collar

Great Idea with the wheel collar. I have one in the same place, I drilled a small hole in mine oposite the set screw and super glued a magnet in to the hole from the Eagle Tree magnetic RPM sensor, so mine is doing double duty.
    And it saved me a shaft this morning.
    Viking
    That Viking www.How2RC.com PULSO
    Home made 36" DeepVee 50mph

Paddy mate hope you are going to give that drive dog some clearance to the strut.

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Paddy mate hope you are going to give that drive dog some clearance to the strut.
    Yes Andy, what you see in the picture is just for the camera. Tonight I will take it to work and set it up properly. I like to put Loctite on all the grub screws.
    I just finished soldering all the 6mm gold electrical connectors on and as soon as the front sponsons are on it will be ready to test. I have to make some aluminum brackets up to carry the front sponsons. Andrewg sent me a plan on how to make the front sponsons adjustable so once again I will be getting away from how H&M do things. I may deviate away from what Andrewg said and instead of aluminum I might make carbon fiber brackets. One person wrote that he needed extra weight up front and the aluminum brackets added the necessary weight. Maybe I will just flip a coin to decide between aluminum and carbon fiber or maybe make both types.
    Look out ducks! Mr Krabs is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Great Idea with the wheel collar. I have one in the same place, I drilled a small hole in mine oposite the set screw and super glued a magnet in to the hole from the Eagle Tree magnetic RPM sensor, so mine is doing double duty.
    And it saved me a shaft this morning.
    Viking
    Smart thinking John. It is good you shared that with us. I will tuck that idea away in my memory bank. I hope the Fly Fishing is going good for you.

Paddy, since I have not seen it I am going to mentioned it...
    please make sure that you have a support of some sort under the motor on the opposite
    side of the mount so the motor is not bouncing at will... it'll save you from re-gluing the mount eventually and may save your setup as well. I had one motor mount get loose once and the guts of my boat got shredded to pieces it even dug a little hole thru the hull.
    All that happened within a split second.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    Paddy, since I have not seen it I am going to mentioned it...
    please make sure that you have a support of some sort under the motor on the opposite
    side of the mount so the motor is not bouncing at will... it'll save you from re-gluing the mount eventually and may save your setup as well. I had one motor mount get loose once and the guts of my boat got shredded to pieces it even dug a little hole thru the hull.
    All that happened within a split second.
    Jan, that support is in but hard to get a picture of. You are correct as when I pulled that 1521 1.5D out of my Dumas Hawk the epoxy had cracked in that. I think I was only one or two trips to the pond away from shredding the inside of my boat. I put the support in this boat but after seeing that I am going to put it in all my other boats too.
    I fired a few volts into the motor this afternoon and everything is running smooth with the prop shaft. Not good for the esc so do not do this at home kiddies.

Paddy,
    have someone video tape it for us mate!
    I wanna see this puppy fly!!!
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like you have a misalignment between the motor and the stuffing tube. That is to say, there appears to be a rather sharp bend in the flex shaft where it exits the stuffing tube in the hull. This will run fine….for a while; then you will be breaking shafts behind the wheel collar. Not good. The flex MUST line up with the motor shaft in both the horizontal direction and the vertical. Spend some time and get it right now, before you put it on the water. You may need to bend your motor mount to get the alignment right.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast